iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » Ŧ 90's Movies » The Last 90's Horror Movie You Watched is (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Last 90's Horror Movie You Watched is
Spreadking
Master Rewinder
Member # 7280

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spreadking   Email Spreadking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer. (1998)
3.5 out of 5
Jack Black has an uncredited movie-stealing role as the dope smokin Bob Marley wannabe.

I love all three of these films. Even the made for DVD part 3 " I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer " was well done with some good music.

[ 04. February 2012, 10:06: Message edited by: Spreadking ]

Posts: 215 | From: Central TX | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Haunting of Seacliff Inn (1994)

"Susan and Mark move to a seaside town to buy an old house and open an inn.
They came to look at one house, but Susan is inexplicably drawn to another.
The house is high on a cliff overlooking a lonely beach. Something eerie is going on.
A scary black dog appears. One strange guest stays at the inn.
Susan finds letters in the attic written long ago by a wife who was terrified of something.
What happened then is happening again now!" (IMDb)

This was a nice little made-for-tv haunted house ghost story.
Starring Ally Sheedy, William R. Moses, very pretty Lucinda Weist and Louise Fletcher.

The cast did a good job and i loved the Camarillo/Mendocino, California locations.

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Leprechaun (1993)

Man, this was a stupid but fun film written and directed by Mark Jones.
Starring Warwick Davis (Willow), Jennifer Aniston (her first film), Ken Olandt (April Foolīs Day, Summer School),
Mark Holton (Pee Wee, Teen Wolf etc.) and Robert Hy Gorman.

Leprechaun is a cool little creature and it was nice to hear Aniston saying the F-word [Smile]

This was a very typical early 90s horror film with modest settings and lots of humour.
Actually, the movie was originally planned as a scary kids' film, but the studio thought it would work better
as a more adult horror, so inserts were filmed to ramp-up the gore-factor.

I wasnīt that interested to see the 5 sequels until i saw that Brian Trenchard-Smith directed parts 3 & 4.
So, should i get those films or not?

I also found out that a new film called Leprechaun: Origins is in development...

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Son of Darkness: To Die for II (1991)

Watched this decent sequel last night.
It was written by former actress Leslie King (excellent Cheerleaders' Wild Weekend etc.), who also wrote the original
and directed by David Price (Children of the Corn 2)

Of course itīs nowhere near the semi-classic original To Die For movie.

Scott Jacoby (Martin), Steve Bond (Tom) and Amanda Wyss (Cellia) are back from the first film.
80s Robin Hood star Michael Praed plays Dracula/Vlad Tepish this time and heīs changed his name to Max Schreck.
Rosalind Allen is the leading lady Nina and Jay Underwood his brother Danny.

Tepish and his vampire gang has moved in to small mountain town
and he operates as a doctor so he can get his Bloody Maryīs quite easily [Wink]
His vampire family Cellia and Tom canīt keep it quiet and are causing havoc.
Nina has adopted a child who turns out to be a Tepishīs son.
Martin tries to help but is he too late?

I liked the night scenes and the mountain town scenery but the movie lacks the 80s feel.
Also, the romance between Praed/Allen never reaches the heights of the Hughes/Walsh one from the original.

Otherwise itīs a decent early 90s sequel though.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

The Exorcist III (1990)

Rewatched The Exorcist III last night, the first time i watched it was in the early 90s.
Itīs a very good, atmospheric horror flick written and directed by William Peter Blatty.
The film is set fifteen years after the original film and wisely ignores the events of Exorcist II: The Heretic.

Love how the movie takes itīs time, never rushing into conclusions.
The cast is very good, i especiallly loved the conversations between Lieutenant Kinderman (George C. Scott) and Father Dyer (Ed Flanders).
Awesome to see both Jason Miller and Brad Dourif too.

A very good film despite the fact that studio forced Blatty to shoot an exorcism sequence to the finale.

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Leprechaun (1993)

Man, this was a stupid but fun film written and directed by Mark Jones.
Starring Warwick Davis (Willow), Jennifer Aniston (her first film), Ken Olandt (April Foolīs Day, Summer School),
Mark Holton (Pee Wee, Teen Wolf etc.) and Robert Hy Gorman.

Leprechaun is a cool little creature and it was nice to hear Aniston saying the F-word [Smile]

This was a very typical early 90s horror film with modest settings and lots of humour.
Actually, the movie was originally planned as a scary kids' film, but the studio thought it would work better
as a more adult horror, so inserts were filmed to ramp-up the gore-factor.

I wasnīt that interested to see the 5 sequels until i saw that Brian Trenchard-Smith directed parts 3 & 4.
So, should i get those films or not?

I also found out that a new film called Leprechaun: Origins is in development...

I wasn't really sure if i had enough guts to say it out loud..

but last year i got myself the Leprechaun complete blu-ray collection.. and i liked it !

There, i said it : I LIKED IT ! [Big Grin]

It's a really cool set from Lionsgate with lots of cool bonus features produced by Red Shirt Pictures,
probably best-known for their retrospective-featurettes which can be found on numerous Shout Factory releases.

It's not top-priority, but if you've got some extra money to spend, give this one a try and you'll be
pleasantly surprised.. just like i was ! [Smile]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched Stuart Gordon's 1995 horror castle freak over the weekend and though not as strong as his previous horror hits such as reanimator and from beyond I still thought it was a rather good watch.

Starring Gordon regulars Jeffrey combs and Barbara crampton and shot at a creepy old real life castle (owned by empire pictures Albert brand) in the small village of giove in the umbria region of italy it makes for a very atmospheric setting and adds greatly to the overall eerie feel of the flick!

I had watched this years back on DVD and could not recollect how hardcore some of the gore effects were,the scene with prostitute in particular,I looked up and noticed the original version I watched was cut by some 1 minute and 9 seconds so no wonder I couldn't remember it being quite as gruesome first time round.

-

I imagine this new blu ray from 88 films must then be the complete uncut version,talking off the blu ray I was quite impressed with the overall picture and sound quality as I can vaguely remember my time of watching the DVD version and it certainly wasn't a patch on this,sure I can remember some of the darker night scenes being pretty murky.

I Definitely recommend castle freak to all the horror buffs out there and i also highly recommend the 88 films blu ray release of it as well.

I wouldn't mind picking up a copy of this myself as this was a online rental.

Good stuff!

https://youtu.be/kZ7duyMepNU - castle freak trailer.

[ 27. August 2015, 10:50: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyromantic:
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (1994):

-

I've seen this one a couple times before..and I must say I still enjoy it. Just as campy and cheesy as one might expect for such a loosely based remake...but the actors in it do a superb job of delivering the goods, especially McConaughey who plays psycho like nobody's business in this film. I can definetly recommend this one for a good Halloween Night viewing:)

This is one film I'd like to see!
Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched Castle Freak (1995) and yes, itīs another cool Full Moon Entertainment film iīve seen during the last week or so.
Decent story, good cast and some surprisingly gory scenes on offer in this one.
Did you already check out The Pit and the Pendulum, warrior?

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've not checked out my new blu Ray of it yet but I have watched the pit and the pendulum (on rental) a while back and enjoyed it a fair old bit,great cast and sets again for what was probably put together on a very limited budget.

Another Stuart Gordon film though not a full moon production that I think is worth checking out atomik is dagon and also a movie he done some years later called stuck which is a pretty bizzare tale of a bloke stuck in a young woman's windscreen after an accident.

Mena suvari and Stephen rea star and it's not a bad little film overall.

Have you seen shadowzone atomik which is one of there (full moon) earlier productions I think from the begining of the 90s as I'm sure I remember that being pretty enjoyable!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Havenīt seen shadowzone but sure would like to.

I own Dagon and a tv movie called Daughter of Darkness starring Anthony Perkins and Mia Sara but havenīt watched those yet.
I also own Dolls, From Beyond, Re-Animator and Fortress, all very good. Iīve seen The Robot Jox back in the early 90s and would like to see it again.
The weakest Stuart Gordon film iīve seen is Space Truckers.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Yeah i've Never seen space truckers,i had heard very mixed things about it in the past,good cast though with Stephen dorff,Dennis hopper and Charles dance.

I can't remember much from fortress but I'm sure I did like it,I also own dolls,from beyond,re-animator,dagon,the first three are awesome and dagon is not to bad either,definitely worth a watch!

Talking of last 90s horror I watched I was going to say - valentine but I've just realised that was 2001 that came out,I think the last 90s horror I watched was also castle freak (when I done a small review for it above) which I ended up buying on blu ray,I also really enjoyed it,the scene with the prostitute in the castle was pretty gross,I loved the setting off it,the small Italian village with the big creepy castle.

I think I'm going to have to go through some of my 90s horror on my shelfs see what I can pick out to watch.

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Biologist Margo Green (Penelope Ann Miller) teams up with police Lieutenant D'Agosta (Tom Sizemore) to investigate a series of grisly murders at her place of work - the Natural History museum. Can there be a link with the recently-arrived crates belonging to a missing anthropologist from Brazil?"

The Relic (1997)

The Making of the Kothoga

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

watched john carpenter's 1995 remake of the village of the damned,never seen the original so i can't compare but even though it's far from being one of carpenter's better movies i still found it pretty entertaining,infact i didn't dislike it and found it more enjoyable this time around than when i first watched it upon its original release back in 95.

looks fantastic on blu ray (rental copy) as well!

https://youtu.be/OR9ha5l9FzM village of the damned (1995) trailer

[ 27. August 2015, 10:51: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dolly Dearest (1992)
 -

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched Mirage (1990) which was a mediocre horror flick set in remote desert.

"Three couples set off to spend some time in the desert. At first all is well and they all have a lot of fun (if you know what I mean!).
Watching their fun is a mysterious stranger in a pickup truck, who has plans for some fun of his own that the youngsters aren't going to appreciate." (IMDb)

I felt some Hills Have Eyes vibes here but not enough. The plot is pretty weak and the cast talentless.
I liked the funny opening sequence and the kills are brutal. Lovely Laura Albert (Glitch!, Dr. Alien) shows some skin.

Finnish vhs cover art
 -

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched the Class of Nuke īEm High sequel Class of Nuke 'Em High 2: Subhumanoid Meltdown (1991).

Entertaining film but not as good as the original. Too much running around with no real purpose and the main character basically sucks.
However, thereīs much more nudity here and i just love all those "homemade" special effects.

I own this uk vhs
 -

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Watched the producers cut of 1995s Halloween 6 which I really enjoyed and when compared to the original theatrical release it is in all honesty at times like watching a completely different movie as this cut contains just under 70 minutes of alternate footage.

In my opinion this producers cut completely trumps the theatrical version,it is so much better in nearly every way and seems a much more fitting send off for the great Donald Pleasance as I remember watching the original theatrical version of which I've always had a dislike of and at the time did feel generally sad for the late Donald Pleasance for having such a crappy finale to what started off as a classic horror series and also to what was a very long and distinguished career.

-

Donald Pleasance and Paul Rudd in Halloween 6 - The Producers Cut.

This stand alone release of Halloween 6 The producers cut does away with the extras from the expensive box set but you are Still left with a really great looking transfer and it's doing the rounds at the moment at a very reasonable price (I got my copy for under 5 UK pounds) ,it is region A locked but if you do have the means to play it and are a fan of the series who has not yet checked it out then definitely by all means get it!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113253/alternateversions - here's a list of the many alternate scenes.

-

Highly recommended especially for fans of the series.

https://youtu.be/sLoQ9EEfth4 - Halloween 6 reconstructed producers cut trailer.

If any of my Stateside buddies on here want the digital copy of Halloween 6 or John Carpenter's Christine for free let me know,first come first served as I'd rather give it to one of you guys than see it go to waste!

[ 21. May 2016, 08:58: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Watched these two Full Moon Entertainment horror's both from 1990 at a time when the studio's projects had slightly higher production values.

Not going to try and explain the plot's to either as it will probably sound like I'm drunk or something let's just say there both a lot of fun and as Full Moon Production's go there a definite cut above the majority of them.

Shadowzone features some pretty cool splatter effects,Meridian aka Phantoms has a great atmosphere,both have an abundance of female nudity especially Meridian with the two beautiful female leads Sherilyn Fenn and Charlie Spradling.

Meridian can be a little slow at times but never boring,Shadowzone the alien when revealed at the end in its true form looks a little underwhelming,Meridian is the better of the two movies when it comes to location shooting and is at times beautiful to look at whilst Shadowzone is certainly the more tense of the two.

So overall both have there faults but still very entertaining the pair of them,if I had to pick a favourite from the two it would probably have to be Shadowzone

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I really like Meridian for the obvious reasons.
Would like to see Shadowzone and Halloween 6 producerīs cut. Too bad itīs A-coded.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Meridian is a cool little early 90s horror which is worth watching for the two beautiful female leads alone,it was on either Shadowzone or Meridian they had the trailer for this one above Dr. Alien with Billy Jayne from Just One Of The Guys and Judy Landers which looked absolutely ridiculous but also a lot of fun!

Have you seen it before atomik?

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Iīve seen Dr. Alien and itīs totally awesome t&a comedy. Itīs one of those rare late 80s sex comedies that got it right.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Cheers atomik i will look at picking it up as soon as possible!
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home