iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Pump Up the Volume - 1990 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pump Up the Volume - 1990
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally love how they used "Wave of Mutilation" by Pixies.. as Mark is walking to school and Nora jumps out at him.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You're the voice crying out in the wilderness, you're the voice that makes my brain burn and my guts go gooey. Yeah, you gut me.. my inside spill on your alter and tell the future. My steaming, gleaming guts spell out your nature.

I know you.. not your name, but your game.. I know the true you.. come to me or I'll come to you. "

"Pump Up The Volume" is a brilliant movie with a stellar and quite unique soundtrack. The subject matter it tackles is rather serious, but it had an awesome message.

I used to watch it all the time, but somewhere it dropped off my radar. For some reason tonight it was calling my name. [Wink]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not watched this in about 15 years, but I am gonna sit down now and watch it.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have not seen this, not a fan of christian slater but i will give it a shot.
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched it last night but I couldn't get into it. It was good when I watched it as a kid, but being almost 30 I just could not find it very appealing. Not to say that its not a good movie, I just think that it is an age relative movie.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am going to try to watch this one, this week.
because i haven't seen it but a handful of times, i don't recall a lot of the movie until i watch it again.

but i do love when Slater tells Nora "you're nuts!" and she says back, "ya, well you make me nuts." [Smile] of course, there are way more cooler lines in the movie, i will remember, once i watch it.

i haven't watched any Slater movies in a long time.

what got me to watch this one for the first time, was one of my best friends came to school talking about it, telling me the story. i think her older bro owned it, so we ended up watching it together. great stuff.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
The back patio scene where Slater is squirting lighter fluid on the grill burning up the evidence is an excellent scene.

Oh is that really Seth Green in this movie?

My other fav is when Nora is driving the jeep while Mark is broadcasting and they going mobile to evade the FCC. And the best part is that even after Mark knows that his 'secret' is out.. he still keeps broadcasting.

Ronnie.. I'm totally digging all the stories about your childhood/teen years that you are sharing. It is awesome when watching a movie reminds you of someone that way. Just great stuff from you. [Cool]

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one - like 'Breakfast Club' - is a movie where the teen piety grates to me as an adult. However, like TBC, it has rock-solid performances, and the dialogue is still very good.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:

Oh is that really Seth Green in this movie?

My word, Valley, it is him. He plays Joey.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100436/fullcredits#cast

Good film, going by more or less all the comments on this thread. I would give it a go if I could.

Has anybody read the novelisation by J. S. Feliciano?

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
watched it this evening.

it's always good to see every once in a while.
i like seeing all the teens in their rooms, listening to the their little radios, reminds me of when i used to be in my room, listening to music, and so focused on the song, the radio hosts..etc. i used to go to bed listening to music on my boom box. [Smile] more memories there ha..

i love movie soundtracks but i was never really drawn in by the music in this one?

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool Ronnie!

I'm going to watch it again in the next few days......see Valley boo yahhh Ronnie isn't pulled into the sdtrk either [Big Grin]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
[Frown]
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ronster and Muffin.. to be honest I remember first renting "Pump Up The Volume" on VHS and watching it. There was a 30 second promo on the VHS tape hyping how great the soundtrack was with snippets of the tunes. Then I watched the movie and felt rather underwhelmed by the tunes.. but..

Even though the movie had the depressing undertones of teens dealing with sensitive issues such as suicide, pregnancy, homosexuality, and corrupt adults... it became a movie I eventually purchased and watched quite often.

Now after several repeat viewings .. I respect the soundtrack as being unique and it really meshes with the scenes in the movie. I enjoy several of the tunes .. however this tune though depressingly dark .. I could play like 5 times in a row and want to listen again:

Pump Up The Volume clip

If you watch it.. I totally love when Mark is walking by Nora towards the end of the clip and the tune comes back for just a couple of seconds and then she circles him and says hi. Isn't that what we all want.. to have those emotions for someone else? [Cool]

I will say that the tunes without the movie would not be the same for me.. but I can say that for a lot of tunes from a ton of movies.

Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha Awww Valley it's killing you eh?

It's not like i'm saying it's bad.....it works for the movie and the time....I like dome of the bands on there....but the choices of songs etc.....don't make me want to pull it out and listen to it? or even get excited about it? i'm going to try and watch it today for ya.....it's been a couple years since i've seen it [Smile]

I'll tell you if my thoughts have changed and if I love this song above [Smile]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

valley i do like the song and the clip you posted... great job mentioning the emotion in that part of the movie, i totally get what you mean, ..been there!

i think the music goes great with the movie, and when i watch it, i can appreciate the style of the music, associated with the nature of the movie.. and all the depressing topics, as you mentioned.

it's not really the darkness of the music that i'm not loving, because i listen to all types of music, maybe it's just the individual songs?

i still like the movie though, i watched it for you. [Smile]

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
aww.. the fact that you both watched the movie because of a comment I posted is just the coolest thing ever! [Cool]

Seriously .. I totally understand we aren't always going to enjoy the same things.. but the fact we try to see each other's viewpoint is just the best gift I can imagine. Thanks!

Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone told me once that I should watch this movie because "it's way better than Heathers." Didn't agree with that statement AT ALL, but I liked it, especially the love story between Christian Slater and Samantha Mathis. I liked how Christian was living this double life and everyone in the school had no idea that he was the DJ. I remember it having some corny moments (kinda like what Logan was talking about), but overall, I think it's a cool movie.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I always wanted to have Mark's funky little basement like setup, but now it is a bit dated I guess. I am still into the whole setup thing but with more modern equipment, but not the whole pirate radio transmission stuff.
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this on dvd at FYE last weekend for $3.99 so I bought it and watched it today. I still like this movie a lot - wasn't as corny as I remembered it being. Yeah, it's a bit over-dramatic but I think the movie is supposed to be a hyper-reality sort of thing, if that makes any sense [Smile]

I love the chemistry between Nora and Mark, especially that little kiss they have at the school. Also liked the part where Mark's parents are so elated at him having a girl at his house. Pretty cute stuff in an otherwise dramatic movie [Smile]

As for the soundtrack, it has some pretty cool stuff on there. Peter Murphy, The Pixies...you don't see stuff like that on soundtracks too often, so I will have to check it out.

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
I watched this one last night........I have to admit I don't love it like I used too but it was still fun to watch.....it was always an honorary 80s movie for me....but watching it now it defiantly feels 90s especially the music plays a part in that......and Valley for some reason the sdtrk still doesn't pull me in.....i'm not dogging the artists?

Agree with Vern.....Nora and Marks chemistry is sweet.

Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
I was actually just listening to the soundtrack today! It's pretty hit or miss for the most part. I do love that Pixies song that Valley mentioned though!
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love it when this topic makes a comeback. Great film, this.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cowboy10uk
Master Rewinder
Member # 117

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Cowboy10uk   Email Cowboy10uk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love this film, have to say its up there at the top of the list. Nothing better than a dark room, a bottle of jack and Pump up the Volume on the player to chill you out after a hard day at work.

The soundtrack is fantastic.

If anyones intrested I had this tucked away in my bookmarks.

http://www.presty.co.uk/putv/putvscrp.htm

For those of us who dont have time to watch the film, Well enjoy the script [Smile]

Posts: 158 | From: Hazzard County | Registered: Nov 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I have just bought the Pump Up the Volume DVD today.

I shall be watching this very shortly.

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Lovers.. let us know what you think. This is movie I need to get back to watching more often.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home