iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Pump Up the Volume - 1990 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pump Up the Volume - 1990
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100436/

Speaking of Slater, I need to give this movie it's own thread. One of my favs from the 90's. Really has the feel of an 80's classic. Slater is excellent as the shy kid who can't talk to people face to face, but let's it all go behind the mic. I bet alot of people are like this today....with technology. So much easier to speak through the keyboard, texting, emails, etc., but have trouble face to face or on the phone. Back in the day, I could see a bit of Hard Harry in myself too. I always had a shy side. Not so much anymore. What do you all think of this brilliant piece of work?

-

-

[ 08. January 2011, 09:25: Message edited by: 80'sRocked ]

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like this too. I have it on DVR but haven't gotten around to watching it yet...
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one is great. One of Slater's best. It has everything I like, great tunes, lots of fun quotable stuff, students rising up against repressive school policies. Heck, who didn't want to be Christian Slater as an undercover/underground radio host? A keeper. "Talk hard."
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier
Master Rewinder
Member # 3305

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for annier   Author's Homepage   Email annier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my favourite Slater movie

"Eat your cereal with a fork and do your homework in the dark"

What a rebel lol [Smile]

Posts: 312 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I want you to rise up in the cafeteria and stab them with your plastic forks."
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I want blood, sweat and tears!"
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
I did a thread on this movie a few years back and our analysis is eerily similar.

Really? I swear I never saw your thread. I guess great minds think alike.

Everybody Knows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuuCezrAUKk

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
The music was so good in this movie, I thought like Say Anything it was pointing to the 90's alternative music revolution. A kind of punk element to it. Slater was so fun to watch back then, he was so Jack Nicholson influenced.
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie, now if only they'd release a decent DVD. It just grabs your attention from the first scene (with one of the most memorable opening lines IMO) and never lets go. There was a real new wave brat pack emergering back then with Slater, Depp, Morton, Ryder, Hawke, Pheonix, Reeves and Connely.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched it last night. I haven't seen it since 1990. I didn't know Seth Green was in it too. It was a good refresher.

Kash,

It's for sale on amazon.com on DVD. So is the soundtrack...

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Kash:
Great movie, now if only they'd release a decent DVD.

I agree on both Kash. I've had the dvd for a while now and watch it every now and again. It stinks that there are no extras at all. This movie should have tons!
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Yeah, where exactly is the Christian Slater/Samantha Manthis commentary need for this? Another Slater flick, Gleaming the Cube got a raw deal with the DVD treatment too, hard to find and no extras even though it had some great skateboarding in it.
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

A good movie, a good soundtrack, I have both.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike.
Master Rewinder
Member # 7179

5 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mike.   Email Mike.       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a top film not seen it for ages but Slater is great in it and you can't go wrong having Samantha Manthis to look at.
Posts: 270 | From: Southampton England | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie! One of my faves! At least the skimpy DVD gave us a choice of widescreen or full screen. I can't stand full screen!
Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched this again the other night and needed to give this thread a bump. Never gets old....
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, this is a great movie. So much rebellion. My introduction to Leonard Cohen too. I'll always be thankful for that [Smile]
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fightertown
Master Rewinder
Member # 7418

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Fightertown   Email Fightertown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 230 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amaranth
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8882

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for amaranth   Email amaranth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fave 90s movie i still have the soundtrack
1 everybody knows-concrete blonde
2 why cant i fall in love-ivan neville
3 stand -liquid jesus
4 wave of mutilation-the pixis
5 ive got a secret miniture camera -peter murphy
6 kick out the jams-bad brains/henry rollins
7 fredom of speech-above the law
8 titanium exposure-sonic youth
9 me and the devil blues-cowboy junkie
10-tale o the twister-chagull guevara

This film was an absolute obsession for me in my teen years still a fantastic film with yummy slater!

Posts: 456 | From: Scotland uk | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I don't love that version of wave of mutilation. The original is much better.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to watch "Pump Up The Volume" quite often, but somewhere it dropped out of my rotation. Time to fix that!

-

Was Not Was

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I missed this thread 2 years ago?....i'm surprised I didn't post on it? It's always been a fav, it's a VHS that sits with my 80s movies..honorary 80s indeed. I loved Slater he has the prefect radio voice....sexy! I had the soundtrack then, but it wasn't one of my favs....i'd be interested to check into it now. [Smile]
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really liked this back in the day. A good 'last gasp' for teen movies. Interesting that Slater was in both this and 'Heathers' the previous year, and they were both credible movies that closed the 80's teen era out. Slater was quite a pin-up back then.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just one of those films I have to dig out every year [Smile]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You're the voice crying out in the wilderness, you're the voice that makes my brain burn and my guts go gooey. Yeah, you gut me.. my inside spill on your alter and tell the future. My steaming, gleaming guts spell out your nature.

I know you.. not your name, but your game.. I know the true you.. come to me or I'll come to you. "

"Pump Up The Volume" is a brilliant movie with a stellar and quite unique soundtrack. The subject matter it tackles is rather serious, but it had an awesome message.

I used to watch it all the time, but somewhere it dropped off my radar. For some reason tonight it was calling my name. [Wink]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home