iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Almost Heroes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Almost Heroes
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody else like this comedy classic? Sadly it would be one of Farley's last films. The standout moment for me would be when Farley gets up out of the boat and shouts to the piper, "Don't you know anymore ******* tunes?"
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It certainly has a number of good moments, not least of all when they go trigger-happy at the squirrel on the riverbank, their encounter with the mentally unhinged Indian at the first village, and Farley's run-ins with the eagle (although it could never pick him up and carrying him off as at the climax, given he'd have been about 10X heavier than it), not to mention:
"This is for your own good." (decks him good)
"How was THAT for my own good!?"
"The, uh, punch was supposed to knock you out."

According the recently released biography for Farley, the studio interfered far more than they needed to (original title was Edwards and Hunt, and it was to have been more of an ensemble piece, which apparently still rankles several supporting players). Still, he managed to stay clean throughout production(making it a bit ironic critics slammed it for excessive drug usage ("Now if you'll excuse me, I think it's time for the alcohol to take effect, so I'll see you guys later." (passes out)), and gives it his all, which is basically all you can ask for.

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The eagle scene cracked me up! I loved Farley period. He was flat out hilarious in everything he did. What a loss when he passed away. [Frown]
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, this one was good. I loved Chris Farley (I even liked Beverly Hills Ninja, LOL). I haven't seen Almost Heroes since it first came out, though. It would be worth watching again.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EleanorJune
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Chris Farley is the best. I laugh at all his movies. I know a lot of people don't find him funny, but I do. I saw Almost Heroes probably 4 or so months ago. It's great.

All Farleys stuff on SNL is great!

| Site Updates: 0 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked it up on Netflix and it is one of the free movies that you can play on your computer. But I don't have my laptop anymore- my husband stole it from me for the office, ha,ha. And I don't want to sit here in my home office and watch it, it's just not that comfortable here. I'd be up and down the stairs getting refills on beers or vodkas all night!
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favorite Chris Farley movies. The eagle is definitely the best bit, but the supporting characters are all hilarious too.
Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda88
Rewind Curious
Member # 7595

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Amanda88   Email Amanda88   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this movie on TV a few years ago. I started watching it around the eagle egg part and I was laughing so hard! This movie is so underated.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Dec 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My stepson and I crack up to this movie, especially the eagle's egg scenes you mention.

I also have a fond place in my heart for Tommy Boy and even Black Sheep.

Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home