iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Ahhh Clerks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ahhh Clerks
YourEyesCanBeSoCruel
Master Rewinder
Member # 7480

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for YourEyesCanBeSoCruel   Author's Homepage   Email YourEyesCanBeSoCruel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just (as in I just turned off the dvd player) watched Clerks again. I could never get enough of that movie.
My best friend says that Randal reminds her of me. Which is funny since I work at a video store [Smile]

I do believe that my favourite part of Clerks is when Randal is doing the "Salsa Shark" bit. Second to that is when he's ignoring the lady in the video store just sitting on the counter then she storms out.

I wish that I could do that to people at Movie Gallery some days...

Posts: 133 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clerks....a very cool movie. Gotta love Jay & Bob. This was a favorite of a good friend of mine back in the day, so I must have seen this flick dozens of times.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the movie was ok and had some good parts. But overall I feel this movie has turned into one of those movies that people feel like they have to say they like or they won't be perceived as being 'Hip' just like they have to say they like Scarface.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YourEyesCanBeSoCruel
Master Rewinder
Member # 7480

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for YourEyesCanBeSoCruel   Author's Homepage   Email YourEyesCanBeSoCruel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can agree with you Toxic, on a level that is.

I actually do like Clerks and I think it's because I like those nice older films where nothing really happens but you feel like you got something out of it.
For me it's a Feel Good movie, like Dazed and Confused, Breakfast Club, and Sixteen Candles.

I do think that there are people who will say they like a movie just to be like the crowd. (My boss at the video store keeps trying to convince me that Kung Pow was a good movie. I've to this day yet to finish it!)

Posts: 133 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's pretty funny. I grew up a few towns away from where they filmed it. What do you guys think about part 2???
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YourEyesCanBeSoCruel
Master Rewinder
Member # 7480

Member Rated:
Still Love Randal!

Definately more gutsy than the first film! I'm pretty much bias when it comes to Kevin Smith though.

Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Clerks 2' didn't really work out so well. It was still funny ("New and Improved" Jay & Silent Bob) and I liked the way that scene near the end was essentially Smith telling his fans that we're they're holding him back (yeah, like we ****ing made 'Jersey Girl' Kev [Razz] ). Liked the Ben Affelck cameo.

Jersey Girl isn't actually as bad as the Affleck haters claim. Gotta love any movie that gives George Carlin a lot of screen time.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to manage a video store in the Garden State Plaza mall back in the early 90's. One day this guy comes in and we start talking about movies. He tells me he just shot a movie & asked if I wanted to see it. I said sure so he brought a copy in. It turns out it was an uncut version of Clerks and he was the gum salesman. I put it on a shelf and forgot about it until I heard on the news that they were playing it a Woodstock 94. So I checked it out and loved it. I had a bunch of friends over and we watched it 3 or 4 times. This is the version with the unhappy ending and different music than the commercial release.

I still have the tape with his business card taped to it. I've been a big Kevin Smith fan ever since.

Bob

Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YourEyesCanBeSoCruel
Master Rewinder
Member # 7480

Member Rated:
JCW, that's B.A! I wish someone would come to the video store I work at and something like that could happen.

Coolio.

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't make it past the first 20-30 min. All I can remember was Rosario Dawson (sp.?) screaming at that guy, cussing him out, for sleeping with some other chick. I was bored. Is it really worth it to continue watching, or it just another 90's "hipster" flick that only hipsters are supposed to like?
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the first clerks is really one of my favorite movies ever. i think it's up there with caddyshack as far as funniest movies ever. it's one of those movies i can watch all the time and whenever i catch it on tv i'll start watching it no matter how far along the movie is.
Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YourEyesCanBeSoCruel
Master Rewinder
Member # 7480

Member Rated:
Pittsburghgirl,
It's most definately a very raunchy and verbal movie. If that's not something you like then I'd say don't finish it. But, if you can look past that and just take in things like Randal bashing Lord of the Rings with a Star Wars defense, watch it, totally.

mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when I was in my early 20s I had worked a string of verrry unsatisfying jobs and my best friend had rented CLERKS and said "Oh you just HAVE to watch it...it so reminded me of you and your sucky jobs...." and she rented it out for a second day and brought it over and we watched it and I laughed maybe ONCE (and I'm pretty sure that was over a DEGRASSI JUNIOR HIGH mention). I totally did not "get" the humor.

Kevin Smith really does not float my boat.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Clerks 2 better but god the donkey scene was veeeeeeery disturbing........
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YourEyesCanBeSoCruel:
Pittsburghgirl,
It's most definately a very raunchy and verbal movie. If that's not something you like then I'd say don't finish it. But, if you can look past that and just take in things like Randal bashing Lord of the Rings with a Star Wars defense, watch it, totally.

I might give it another try. The cussing doesn't bother me so much, I just got bored. It may be one of those movies where you have to get past the first 30 min. to get into it.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like most Kevin Smith movies, but Clerks was one I never really got into. I never bothered with part two.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YourEyesCanBeSoCruel
Master Rewinder
Member # 7480

Member Rated:
Pittsburghgirl,

You never know, maybe the second tyme around you'll like it. I know that my boss and one of my co-workers are trying to convince me to re-watch Kung Pow Enter The Fist because the first tyme around I didn't even finish it.

I'm still a bit leery on it, but maybe I'll get around to it? *Shrug*

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home