iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » TARANTINO

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TARANTINO
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You cant talk about 90s cinema without mentioning the man Quentin Tarantino, or Q as he’s known to his mates, he’s one of my personally favourite writer/directors certainly one the most exciting filmmakers out there and I’m eagerly anticipating the release of ‘Kill Bill’ volume 2.

‘HF’ TOP FIVE TARANTINO MOVIES (including those he wrote or acted in)

1.‘Pulp Fiction’ (“oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”)

2.‘Reservoir Dogs’ (“tipping automatically?…its fer the birds”)

3.‘From Dusk Till Dawn’ (“that is not ****ing that, this is ****ing this!”)

4.‘True Romance’ (“I’m the antichrist, you get me in a vendetta kinda mood you tell the angels in heaven you’ve never seen evil so singularly personified as you did, in the face of the man who killed you…”)

5.‘Jackie Brown’ (“AK-47 when you absolutely positively have to kill every mutha****er in the room, accept no substitutes”)

I recently re-read Tarantino’s ‘NBK’ script, and it’s a good script, a composite satire about violence and the media (even I could’ve made it into a better film), oh well, just goes to prove that even a great talent like Oliver Stone’s allowed to get it wrong every now and then.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A God Among Directors" according to one website about the boy.

Characters...dialog...soundtrack -- everything rocks.

I didn't get out to "Kill Bill" but have seen all the others...perhaps a video rental during elusive spare time.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SkinnyPuppy
Master Rewinder
Member # 2354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SkinnyPuppy   Email SkinnyPuppy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Tarentino. . .hmmm. . .
It is undeniable that the man changed cinema in many ways, the way action movies are written, acted, and filmed has been altered forever.
And I would be a liar if I said I didn't love most of his work (and, actually, I'm a big fan of Stones NBK despite die-hard Tarentinofanatics hatred of it).
However, I do have to balance out the discussion, devil's advocate as it were, by saying that there is a kind of self-aware, this-is-a-movie-and-we're-all-actors quality to his films that can be a bit distracting. I think that's why actors like Travolta and Jackson have do so well in his unique cinematic vision, because they are the type of actors whom you watch and say, hey, that guy is acting really well, amazingly well, but I can see the fact that he's acting.
Whereas I, for the most part, prefer acting and writing and directing where you can't really tell that it's acting, writing or directing. Where you are, instead, drawn into the world and convinced. Of course, to be a realist and to be quite blunt, this is really seldome achieved in cinema.
However, I find myself realizing something, as I write, for the first time. And that is that a great deal of 80's movies, espescially the teen comedies, seemed to have that same self-awareness, slightly detatched, this-is-a-movie vibe that Tarantino's work has. So, perhaps the big QT is a product of the 80's.

I was going to say something about the Austin connection with Rodriguez but I think I've ranted enough.

P.S. Still haven't seen Kill Bill.

Posts: 278 | From: Austin, TX USA | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's absolutely no doubt that Q is a child of the '80s cuz that was his struggling-video-clerk coming-of-age decade.

Pupster, those are valid points and perhaps "god among directors" is a bit strong. I will only say he is among one of many, many favorites of this Hipster Mom since I don't like being pigeon-holed to a short list of The Best of Anything...though I will still say that the guy who invented post-its is some kinda genius.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’ll have to agree there, I know Quentin is a big 80s fan, (perhaps he posts here! [Big Grin] ) And it comes through in the movie ‘True Romance’.
You guys HAVE to see ‘Kill Bill’ granted, it doesn’t have a lot of the customary Tarantino dialogue, but its just such a cool movie in terms of style, imagery and homage-cinematography that it’s a blast to watch, there’s even some nods to other Q films like a sign for ‘Red Apples’ cigarettes, Michael Parks in the sheriff role he had in ‘From Dusk Till Dawn’ and a great cameo by Sonny Chiba (whose also mentioned in ‘True Romance’).

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home