iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Sleepless in Seattle Trivia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sleepless in Seattle Trivia
KellyM
Rewind Curious
Member # 2470

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for KellyM   Email KellyM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I realize "Sleepless in Seattle" was a little sappy, but it was such a popular movie I am surprised I can't find it on this site.

Not a movie, I will admit, that would usually be one of my favorites, but I was somewhat involved (in a peripheral way) in its production..

You see, I delivered the piano that is in "Annie Reed's" (Meg Ryan's character) brother's office. This is the old grand piano whose keys she inadvertently sat on at one point while talking to her brother. (At least I think it was her character's brother; to be honest I remember little of the plot or characters.)

Almost any time I have mentioned this, people have asked me how I got the piano up the narrow, winding staircase outside that office. The answer is, of course, very simple. I didn't! It was "Hollywood" magic.

If you remember the ballroom scene, it was filmed in a lovely older building in downtown Seattle. The building is named the "Arctic Building", and on the outside has gargoyle-like carvings of Kodiak bears and other animals you might associate with the frigid north. It also has a huge stained-glass dome on top, beneath which the ballroom scene was filmed. This dome was never shown in the movie, which is a shame, as it is as impressive as it is beautiful. At night it is lit from above, so guests can see the full splendour of the intricate stained glass as well as they would by day.

The office was constructed in a portion of the top floor that was not below the dome, and we moved the piano up and down using a freight elevator. The piano belonged to a good friend of mine.

"It ain't braggin' if you really done it."

Kelly

Posts: 2 | From: Kirkland, WA | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good post.

Never saw the movie.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home