iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Brandon Lee (1965-1993)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Brandon Lee (1965-1993)
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would have been Brandon Lee’s 39th birthday last week (Feb 1st) so happy birthday Brandon, in the great beyond, he was a real talent and an exceptional individual who never really got a fair chance at life, nonetheless, he made some decent films in his short career.

I saw his last interview the other day; an upsetting, ironic but insightful commentary on the set of ‘The Crow’ reminded me of what Johnny Depp (who was originally in line to play Eric Draven in ‘The Crow’) had said that year; first River then Brandon, Johnny, another excellent but rathur self-destructive talent, must’ve really reflected on his own mortality, as he could’ve been the one who’d lost his life on that set (perhaps it was that terrible year that helped him sort his life out a bit).

Its impossible to say how Brandon Lee’s life and career would’ve turned out; would he have gone onto play Neo in ‘The Matrix’ as originally intended, or worked more on his Jimmy Dean ‘Rebel’ image or just made striahgt to DVD B-movies? who knows, all one can really say is that Brandon Lee was an fireball of potential who faded out too soon, so happy birthday Brandon: a cool actor, sadly missed.

HIGH FIDELITY TOP FIVE BRANDON LEE MOVIES

1. The Crow
2. Showdown In Little Tokyo
3. Rapid Fire
4. Kung Fu: The Movie
5. Legacy Of Rage

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhutch
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1352

- posted      Profile for Jhutch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I'm a pretty big 'Crow' fan, but somehow I never knew that Johnny Depp was considered for that movie. I also didn't know that Brandon was considered for a role in 'the Matrix'. Thanks for the info.

JH

PS--Have you ever read "The Crow: The Story Behind the Film"? I just got that book. Just wondering if it's any good. I was so crazy about that movie when it came out.

Posts: 82 | From: Southern USA | Registered: Apr 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no probs JHutch. Even though I'm a Johnny Depp fan somehow I think the movie would've been more tongue-in-cheek (like 'Once Upon A Time In Mexico') with him in it. Brandon would've been great in 'The Matrix' because Keanu, though he seems like an all round good egg, isn't exactly what I'd call a great actor.

I haven't read the book you mentioned, so I guess its up to you to tell me whetehr its worth getting.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kash, get some other good '90s topics going wouldja...I'm a little bored with the '80s stuff and I like the way you think.
Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
For you, Hipstermom27, I will. Now I’m off to wear a flannel shirt, listen to ‘Nirvana’ and go to a coffee-house.
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter is a big Cobain follower...is re-reading "Heavier Than Heaven" right now. I don't get Kurt on any level...the '90s was definitely about REM and "shiny happy" alternative music as opposed to doom & gloom.

Fall of '99: 6th row for REM at an outdoor ampitheater...good stuff!

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SkinnyPuppy
Master Rewinder
Member # 2354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SkinnyPuppy   Email SkinnyPuppy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no idea about the Depp thing, and here I thought I was a Crow fan, hehe. I have read the original comic, and I have the 2 disc dvd and watched the interview with O'barr. I think it's really cool how he was influenced by the original late 70's early 80's goth movement (not the Marilyn Manson spew) and based Eric on a combo of Robert Smith and Peter Murphy (there's a Peter Murphy poster in the background during the interview on the dvd). Though I'm sure the mainstream knows little about Smith (except for the Cure's occasional mainstream spikes in the 80's) and even less about Murphy (other than his one "big" hit in the 80's with "Cuts You Up" and his appearance in the opening of "The Hunger").

But back to Brandon. I really, and truly think he had the potential to be a great actor. I mean, you watch his earlier films and his acting could best be described as roughly above average for the kind of B action movies he was making, but in The Crow, there's this spark, that "thing" that "stars" have that goes beyond their acting. There was a mix of deep intensity and almost Buddah benevolence in his presence that made for an almost, dare I say, complex portrayal of a character that could have easily been some dime a dozen George Clooney Batman thing in the wrong hands.
I didn't know about the Matrix thing either, and of course we'll obviously never know how far Brandon could have gone, as you said, but I really think he could have been an A-list actor, which makes that movie all the more sad.
I still watch it every Halloween night.
On a side note, those in charge of the soundtrack had asked cEvin Key of Skinny Puppy fame to do a song for the movie which he did under his Download moniker called "Outafter" which, according to reports I read, Brandon really loved and was excited about, but it didn't make the soundtrack. It appears on the Download album "The Eyes Of Stanley Paine" and in the liner notes it says "Outafter is dedicated to Brandon Lee"

"It can't rain all the time."

Posts: 278 | From: Austin, TX USA | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
I just checked up on Robert Smith and Peter Murphy and can see exactly where he was coming from, its kinda cool actually. Its a movie that I used to find a bit difficult to watch for all the reasons you mentioned but theres no doubt, thats its a dark, cult classic worthy in its own right. I'm gonna have to try and download that song from somewhere.
Claude Willis
Master Rewinder
Member # 2489

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Claude Willis   Author's Homepage   Email Claude Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also LOVED Brandon Lee!!! I was obsessed with him too for most of '99 & '00. I LOVE the Crow. I have all of Lee's movies except "Legacy of Rage". I also wonder "what might've been..." His death absolutely sucked then, and still does to this day!!! Life is indeed a cruel, cruel bitch!!! He wanted to be seen as a seperate person from his father, and he was well on his way to accomplishing that. EVERY bit of info surrounding his death is TRAGIC. However, it is somewhat comforting to consider the fact that he is probably enjoying more success, and attention now than he ever would have, had he gone on to do moe films, and such. Just a thought. He is, was, and always will be awesome!!! P.S. the two Crow sequels are absolute TRASH!!! But I enjoyed the short-lived T.V. series starring Mark Dacascos.
Posts: 180 | From: Marathon, NY | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SkinnyPuppy
Master Rewinder
Member # 2354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SkinnyPuppy   Email SkinnyPuppy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The accident which caused Lee's death has forever changed how stunt scenes with guns are done to this very day, I've even seen some "making of" documentaries of films where someone complains about how the stund coordinator is being so facist about the stunt guns and then they mention Brandon's death and it's suddenly in perspective.
I'd like to think that his death was not in vain, not only because he was part of an amazing timeless film, but also because the safety measures now in place because of his death may have, now are, and ever will, save lives in the film industry. If even ONE single life is saved then it makes his death seem just a tiny bit, just a minor fraction, less meaningless than it was.

I have only seen the second sequal, never saw the third (though I guess I really should rent it). I thought the second one was brilliant in terms of cinematography, it was beautifully filmed. But the script, direction, and random uneaven acting was all pretty pitiful. I hear there's a direct-to-video 4th sequal (!?) with T2's (name escape's me) as the "crow" person. I imagine it can't be all that good seeing as how it didn't warrant a theatrical release.

As for the tv show, I didn't like it a bit. I thought the lead was way too passive and the stories and direction lacked any magic or spiritual vibe.

Anyone else hear about the Rob Zombie fiasco? Apparently there was supposed to be an Animated Crow film ala Heavy Metal which was to be written, and perhaps directed, by Rob Zombie, but all sorts of Hollywood politics came into play and Zombie left the project in disgust (and later unleashed that horrible crap "House of a Thousand Corpses which made me oh so glad he didn't get his hands on the Crow legacy).

randome thoughts down here in the deep south frindge on a tuesday morning, were it tuesday afternoon I might hum some Moody Blues for you, alas, I'm too sleepy and you can't hear me out there in the electric winds anyway.

ta ta

Posts: 278 | From: Austin, TX USA | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
Pupster, a good Moody Blues riff is appreciated by this hipster, Tuesday or not...though since it is in fact Tuesday, this post is redundant.

"I'm looking for someone to change my life...I'm looking for a miracle in my life..."

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home