iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Sequels That You Wish Were Never Made (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Sequels That You Wish Were Never Made
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a few people that would say any sequel should never be made, but there a few sequels that have been made that almost destroy my love for the original movie because the sequel is so horrible. Here are few:

"Bay Boys" (1995) with Will Smith and Martin Lawrence was a classic action comedy adventure with the beautiful scenery of Miami as a backdrop. The sequel that came out in 2003 tried to recapture the chemistry of the first movie, but it blew up in our faces instead.

"Caddyshack" (1980) might be the best comedy ever made, but the sequel from 1988 might be the worst. Not really, but it was just not very good compared to the original.

"Speed" (1994) not the most believable movie ever made, but it was a enjoyable movie with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock, but that sequel on a ship from 1997 seemed like a low budget rip-off.

"Matrix" (1999) a brilliant movie with so much originality from its script to the camera shots during the action scenes, the sequels might have been the most anticipated since the new Star Wars Trilogy. However, the first sequel while visually impressive just took away everything I loved about the first movie. The third movie didn't do much to redeem it for me.

I have enjoyed several sequels throughout the years, but sometimes a bad sequel will diminish my love for the original just a bit. Your thoughts?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with what you said about "Bad Boys." I really liked the first one, but I couldn't even get all the way through the sequel. And the "Mission: Impossible" sequel was awful, too. Not that the first one was GREAT, but...
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blues Brothers 2000 was a major letdown from the first one. Without Belushi the chemistry just wasn't the same (and actually Aykroyd had written a sequel with Jake about the same time as the original, but Belushi died before this one could be put into production), and the ending was too wide-open.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mane1980   Author's Homepage   Email Mane1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dream a Little Dream
Speed
Caddyshack
Mission Impossible
Teen Wolf

Posts: 631 | From: From Out of this World | Registered: Jul 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speed 2 and Mission Impossible 2 are probably the worst sequels I've seen. The first films were so goodd, they both had great formulas, it's hard to believe the sequels could go so wrong.

Other bad sequels -

The Hills have Eyes 2
Godfather 3
Nightmare on Elm St 2
Scream 3
I still know what you did last summer
Scary Movie 2

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mane1980, you are so right about "Teen Wolf II". Infact, they basically give it to you for free on the "Teen Wolf" DVD and I've never wanted to watch because of my first viewing disappointment years ago.

Chris, Stitch, & pettyfan, you each mentioned a few stinkers for sure.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goonies II.....well almost. Thank God Richard Donner came to his senses and never made a sequel like he originally planned. Everyone is grown p now so it would not have been the same adventure as before.

I remember the Goonies II video game. My sister and I played it on our Nintendo system all the time. That was "Good enough for me". [Smile]

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought 'Be Cool', the sequel to 'Get Shorty', could've been far better than it was. For starters; Travolta seems to be asleep, Uma Thurman is just doing her usual thing and though Vince Vaughn has some funny lines. you know a movies in trouble when The Rock outshines the likes of Kietel, Travolta and Thurman.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
You would think Travolta would have learned to never do another sequel from "Staying Alive".
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost everybody says the Disney sequels stink out loud. I personally like 'em, but, you know...
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ha, Disney is the direct-to-video champ when it comes to sequels.
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but you gotta admit, there's a lot worse sequels than Disney...at least everyone says so. ^^;;
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does "Lion King 1.5" count as a sequel? It's basically the original film just seen from a different perspective.
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Stitch:
Does "Lion King 1.5" count as a sequel? It's basically the original film just seen from a different perspective.

Funny--I don't see how that makes it bad...
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive never got the whole 1.5 thing...!
Theres an X-MEN 1.5 and i just dont get it! Why not just call it a special edition or extended version or directors cut or the search for spock or electric boogaloo.
Weird indeed.

Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and just to clarify...i do like X-men. And Search For Spock.Now thats a good sequel.
The worse Star Trek sequel is Final Frontier (no.5) and even that has many good points.

Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one is gonna mention GREASE 2?
It's actually got so bad its good appeal, but it has a rep for being everything you dont want in a sequel!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mannequin 2

Be Cool (IMO The Rock's and Vince Vaughn's performances saved this movie from being a lot worse than what it was)

Matrix Reloaded

Jaws 4

American Psycho 2

Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brandon777
Master Rewinder
Member # 4014

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brandon777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:

"Matrix" (1999) a brilliant movie with so much originality from its script to the camera shots during the action scenes, the sequels might have been the most anticipated since the new Star Wars Trilogy. However, the first sequel while visually impressive just took away everything I loved about the first movie. The third movie didn't do much to redeem it for me.

I love the first Matrix. I thought it was very original and very thought provoking. I took a philosophy class in college and they were talking about these abstract concepts about how reality is really an illusion and everything is processed in the mind, so nothing is real. I had somewhat of a difficult time trying to grasp those concepts because I was more practical. After seeing The Matrix, all of those lectures in philosphy made sense. I thought that movie was ground breaking on so many levels.

Then the sequels came out. They really dropped the ball on the sequels. It went from a ground breaking revelation to your typical sci-fi movie.

[ 24. April 2006, 08:21: Message edited by: Brandon777 ]

Posts: 239 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brandon777
Master Rewinder
Member # 4014

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brandon777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ali_with_an_i:

I remember the Goonies II video game. My sister and I played it on our Nintendo system all the time. That was "Good enough for me". [Smile]

Goonies II on the Nintendo rocked. I use to play that game all of the time. It was one of the best games on Nintendo.
Posts: 239 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any sequel when there isn't any of the people from the original movie (and it doesn't count if there's only one as the "mentor" of the new characters). Same goes with a movie about the child or children of the original characters, because the kid will either be a pale imitation of the parents or an annoying "rebel."
Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's one reason it pays to be very careful when renting one of those direct to DVD/VHS movie sequels. Next thing ya know, they have switched all the characters around and added Coolio or Stephen Baldwin as the main characters....
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by MotleyRulz:
That's one reason it pays to be very careful when renting one of those direct to DVD/VHS movie sequels.

LOL, people are always telling ME that about Disney, & yet lots of people like the Little Mermaid sequel, myself included...sometimes people can be such hypocrites, non?
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
I didn't say it was bad. I was just wondering if it counts as a sequel, a remake or a ripoff?

quote:
Originally posted by The Mouse Avenger:
quote:
Originally posted by Stitch:

Funny--I don't see how that makes it bad...

Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by MotleyRulz:
That's one reason it pays to be very careful when renting one of those direct to DVD/VHS movie sequels. Next thing ya know, they have switched all the characters around and added Coolio or Stephen Baldwin as the main characters....

Coolio, Stephen Baldwin and Michael Ironside...
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home