iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Kingdom Of Heaven

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kingdom Of Heaven
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good epic, not so biased, but not entirely truthful either, as Scott attempts to be even handed about one of the most one-sided acts of greed-driven, racist aggression in the history of mankind (i.e. Crusades).

Now before I get onto the film, there’s a line just before Eva Green gets it on with Orlando Bloom that’s been bothering me, Eva, gorgeous though she is, seems to think (or at least her character in this movie) seems to think that the prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) and the prophet Jesus (peace be upon him) had radically different views with regards to boozing, pre-marital sex and fornication (i.e. Jesus said do what you please whilst Mohammed forbade it) now as far as I know, both Jesus and Mohammed were mighty messengers of the one God of Abraham (pbuh) and said the same things about how to worship Him and obey His commandments, hence the comparative argument of “submit and choose” doesn’t apply in the least.

That said, Orlando Bloom gives a surprisingly credible performance as Balian of Ibelin, though when you look back at his character’s progression throughout the film, you’ll be hard pressed not to laugh; for the man’s supposed to be distraught about his wife’s suicide, kills a priest who mocks her, arrives in Holy Land, gets caught up in a crusade that his father’s best mate (the ever excellent Jeremy Irons) has just told him is a fraudulent endeavour in theft & fanaticism, shags a married woman (OK, so its Eva Green and she’s married to a mass-murdering cad of the Knights Templar, but still, isn't making a cuckold of your leader against the code?) and makes long-winded speeches that bear no relevance to conversations he’s had throughout the movie.

This is still an enjoyable flick though, and Ghassan Massoud is wonderful as Sultan Yousif Salau’dinn Ayubi a.k.a. Saladinn (if only he and Jeremy Irons’s Tiberius were the main characters, this would have been an infinitely better film), I felt that there seemed to be some scenes missing, no doubt they’ll be restored for the director’s cut. As it stands today, the highest praise I can give ‘Kingdom of Heaven’, is that its’ probably the most unbiased Crusades film Hollywood is ever likely to make.

Some people were upset about how Christianity doesn’t “win” or why was that Arab fellow being humanised to such an extent where we’re actually rooting for him? Three reasons really, firstly, because Ridley Scott wasn’t out to make yet another propaganda film (‘G.I. Jane’ and ‘Blackhawk Down’ were quite enough), secondly because Salau’dinn Ayubi was an all round good bloke who treated his adversaries with decency & respect (a point mentioned in the film, where Orlando’s character makes reference to the fact that when the Crusaders took Jerusalem, they butchered every Judean and Muslim in sight, why wouldn’t Saladinn take a similar revenge on the Christians when he liberates Jerusalem? to which he simply replies: “I am not those men, I am Salau’dinn...Salau’dinn Ayubi” (the repetition makes more sense when you know that Salau’dinn means 'Light Of The Faith' thus he's living up to his name by upholding the laws of the Islamic faith), and thirdly, because the Crusaders version of Christianity has nothing to do with Jesus (pbuh) and everything to do with Cabbalist Freemasonry (religious symbols and lip service were used as a facade to attract the masses).

Now Isis, this is Eva Green, modern actess, ignoring the bizzare get up: pretty or not?

-

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually liked this movie. I thought Orlando did good in it...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Motley, this was the only Orlando Bloom performance I've ever seen, he seemed to be sleepwalking through 'Pirates of the Caribbean' (can't believe they're making two more of those movies) and 'Lord Of The Rings' didn't really ask too much of him as an actor. It would've been so much better had the focus been on Saladin and Jeremy Irons, Irons is an excellent actor who doesn't get nearly enough good roles IMHO.

I've read some of those scenes that've been restored in the director's cut, and it still doesn't sound like much. The late/great Moustapha Akkad had been working on his dream Saladin project, (with good friend Sean Connery eager to star) one only wonders who'll take his place in the Kubrick/Spielberg 'A.I.' style.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel the same way about Jeremy Irons. He definitely doesn't get his fair share of good roles...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you spot the cameo in Kingdom of Heaven by the Flying Spaghetti Monster?
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home