iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » 90's Sitcoms you just didn't get (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 90's Sitcoms you just didn't get
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay I was thinking about this one a bit this morning. What are some of the popular 90s sitcoms that you just didn't find funny or watch. My first pick would have to be: Home Improvement. Didn't think it was funny at all. Also I would have to say: The Nanny. For reasons that should be most obvious Fran Drescher's annoying voice.

Those are the two that stick out big time in my mind. Can you think of any others that you just thought were really stupid?

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hated MARRIED WITH CHILDREN and FRIENDS and as for now I dont "get" SCRUBS.

I will admitt I started out liking MARRIED WITH CHILDREN...but after the two season mark it just seemed like the same jokes over and over again FOR YEARS!!!!!!

FRIENDS...I just think when you actually disect it....it's not funny! (At least not to me). I remember being ****ed when I read in magazines that the people in FRIENDS kept demanding...and getting...more money! Have you ever sat through any of their movies???? Peee-yeeew!

SCRUBS either thinks its wittier than it is or is so witty it goes right over my head. I just sit there groaning for the first few minutes...and then I hit the clicker.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like Friends either....I never ever thought they were funny, especially Lisa Kudrow...she and the whole "smelly cat" song, that was so idiotic.

There haven't been any sitcoms that I actually did "get". I never liked King of Queens either.

The Nanny was annoying beyond annoying.

I also HATE all the shows that are cartoons...but definately are not geared towards kids...like King of the Hill (I think is the name) and South Park....I only had to see a few pieces of some of that stuff, and I definately did not "get it".

I can not stand to even attempt to watch:

Wil and Grace (GAG!!!)- nothing but sex jokes...that aren't even funny

According to Jim (bigger GAG!)

How to date my Teenage Daughter ( Tripple Gag!!)

oh and the other ones that are on...that I couldn't get through 5 minutes of:

Sister Sister (the one with the twins)

and

That's so Raven...(that is so stupid)

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Friends the first few years it was on. I think after awhile it got boring and mundane. I didn't watch The Nanny then, but I do now. I think it has to grow on you.

I never got Will and Grace. I don't think it's funny; I don't understand why it was always nominated for awards. But the one 90s sitcom I hate more than anything else is Seinfeld. Some (a lot) of people may disagree with me. But I think it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen next to the movie "The Hunt for Red October." I don't know which one would come in as the stupidest if there were ever a contest for stupidest thing from the 90s.

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember a long summer where I watched The Nanny every day and I thought it was cute. I'm glad Fran Drescher has at least a good sense of humor about her voice, but I wouldn't dare watch The Beautician and the Beast.

As for Friends, I never got into it (I really don't watch sitcoms . . . canned laughter, corny situations, I dunno), but I actually like a few of the actors on the show. I like Lisa Kudrow and Matthew Perry (I've watched Almost Heroes too much) and whoever plays Joey, ha. I never liked David Schwimmer or Jennifer Aniston much (David Schwimmer's character was kinda funny, though). I think it was sort of half the cast was funny and the other half you didn't care about.

I haven't watched too many sitcoms, really . . . Seinfeld was kind of funny, but I don't know why it did as well as it did.

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fran Drescher adds to that whole voice she does...cause she was in Saturday Night Fever...and she didn't sound anywhere near as bad as she did on the tv show...and I know someone who meet her and talked to her in person, and she doesn't talk anywhere near as bad as she does ...that is all an "act."
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my gosh guy, Friends!!! I have to say I am a Friends addict. I love that sitcom so much, witty and very funny and genuine. Great chemistry for the cast.

I completely know what you mean about Scrubs to, I have never been able to sit through even one full episode of that one. I tried, but just couldn't do it, I couldnt' see what the appeal was at all.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a real sucker for a sitcom. I loved Friends and The Nanny, I like Will and Grace, Married with Children (well, most of it).

I could never get into Sienfeld. Only once have I ever laughed out loud when watching an episode with my friends. Nor did I like Cheers (tho I love Frasier), Everybody loves Raymond (I hate Raymond but think the rest are funny), or Rosanne.

Some of the sitcoms now are terrible - According to Jim, 2.5 men - how can these be successful? I thought we as a tv viewing public were becoming more demanding?

I guess others that I've liked in the past were - The Awful Truth (1st season),
Suddenly Susan wasn't too bad to start with
Jesse was sweet and harmless
The Drew Carey Show was awesome
Just Shoot Me was pretty good (Lemon Whacky Hello!)
Mad about you
Third Rock from the Sun
Spin City (until Michael J Fox had to leave)
Ellen (the first season or two with her original group of friends)

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
I loved Ellen, she is just so funny. I have to admit that it hasn't been until the last year or so that I have begun to appreciate Seinfeld, now I watch it any time that it is on.

Loved Mad About You as well. Raymond is one that had to grow on me. Now I pretty much like it a lot!!

I liked Jesse to and was sad to see that one go as well.

pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Jesse, too. I thought it was pretty good. I guess not enough people liked it though. It seems like that with every thing I watch...I like it, most others don't.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I use to be the travel agent for the executive producer of Everybody Loves Raymond. I actually liked that show in the beginning...but then it got old hearing his brother whine and complain that Everybody Loves Raymond.

And I was also the Travel agent to one of the characters who was on Mad About You....his name was Jeff Garlin-(Jeff actually had a guest role on Raymond...he was in the grocery store, and Ray's wife was trying to flirt with him, and he got all freaked out on her..it was actually funny) ( he was just in Daddy Day Care with Eddie Murphy), he and Lew ( the producer of Everybody Loves Raymond) were with me and my friend Eddie, and some of my other friends at a college.....doing stand up comedy...for my 21st b-day.

I just thought about it...cause my birthday is coming up again very soon, and I have never ever topped my 21st birthday, on how cool it was.

Illnero
Master Rewinder
Member # 4286

- posted      Profile for Illnero   Email Illnero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff Garlin, Larry David's agent of Curb Your Enthusiam?

That's so cool.

Posts: 154 | From: between wash and spin | Registered: Aug 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
That would be the one and the same, and Lew is Lew Schneider...he had a tv series on the FOX channel in the early 90's called "Down the Shore", and they were all friends, with my friend..Eddie Brill- Eddie has been in several low budget 80's movies. You can look them all up on IMDB . They were hanging with me in 1989.
They all sang me Happy Birthday at midnight at the college we were at, my mom , my room mate and another one of my friends was with me too, and it was so cool. Jeff had only really done 1 episode of Roseanne when I meet him. I got to meet quite a few stand up comedians back in the 80's...I met John Mendoza...and talked to Colin Quinn on the phone, it was pretty cool- that was back when he was hosting Remote Control on MTV.
I went to New York City in 1989 and hung out at Caroline's Comedy Club with a bunch of comedians...I was only 20 then..but it was alot of fun.

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of Stitch's post:
quote:
"The Drew Carey Show" was awesome.
I didn't always watch the show on the networks, but when I did see it, I thought it was a very inventive and risk-taking sitcom. One of the few that I actually liked during the 90's.

It's too bad that the show's network ratings on ABC-TV plummeted in the show's last three seasons. "The Drew Carey Show" deserved a much-ballyhooed "farewell" sendoff that "Friends", "Frasier", "Cheers", "M*A*S*H*", or "Seinfeld" did. But the network didn't publicize it enough, and the show ended quietly.
[Frown]

However, it still appears on syndicated reruns! Thank goodness! [Smile]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
The only thing about the Drew Carey show that I didn't like was that the quality of the show went down over the years. Whatever happened to MIMI anyway??? Anyone know?
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How DID it end???

The last I remember Drew was dating a girl who might or might not get back together with her x-husband.
And the last I saw of MiMi she was married to Drew's brother and had a baby (Dont remember if it was boy or girl or what it's name was).
And with all that "Kate with Oswald", "Kate with Drew" who the Hell DID Kate end up with???

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
okay, I checked imdb. I guess Kate met a pilot and ran off and married him never to be seen again. Winford Lauder went bust and closed the store (opening an online store in its place). Steve cheated opn Mimi and Mimi and her son Gus moved in with Drew after Gus burnt the house down by accident. Drew ran into an old frined Kellie and she moved in with him cuz she was going through hard times, so she moved in with DSrew and Nikki (the girl who always went from thin to fat). Kellie got pregnant and had Drew's baby, who they named Drew Jr.
The end.
Yeah, not the best finale I could have thought up.
Oh well.
I have to agree with the person who said it started out a great show that declined over the years.

Duckie Dale Winton
Master Rewinder
Member # 3419

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Duckie Dale Winton   Author's Homepage   Email Duckie Dale Winton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mamamia and Jessie.......How can you not like the genius that is Scrubs [Eek!] - it's the best thing on British TV at the moment!!

I laugh my *rse off like a loon from beginning to end. Every character is hilarious, and every bit of dialogue hits the spot.

.....and if Sarah Chalke, as Elliot, isn't just the FINEST looking woman on TV, then I dunno who is! [Wink] [Razz]

Posts: 242 | From: Northampton, England | Registered: Oct 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stu1984
Master Rewinder
Member # 3248

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for stu1984   Email stu1984   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with you on that one Duckie. Absolute quality.

Which reminds me I must go and pick up series 2 tommorrow.

Stu

Posts: 226 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm proud to admit I've never seen one full episode of Friends. I just couldn't stand it. It was so moronic.
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Bwahahahaha!
The sad thing is if you pitched s show like that "Moe, Joe and Curly live in wacky (unaffordable) New York loft with their sexy neighbors Holly, Molly and Dolly and chaos ensues" it would surely be put on the Fall line up. (As long as all the "actors" were good looking!)

Aniston's not too busy these days. Maybe she can play Dolly.

Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Scrubs!!! right there with ya Duckie and Stu!

it's brillant........the characters, JD's flashbacks and thoughts in his head are hillarious!!! I do wish there were more inventive sitcoms like this then reality TV.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sort of had the feeling that I would have to be a Jewish liberal nihilist to enjoy "Seinfeld".

Even more odd, I don't mind watching "Curb Your Enthusiasm" despite the facts that it stars one of the co-creators of "Seinfeld" and has the same sense of humor about it that Seinfeld did.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Illnero
Master Rewinder
Member # 4286

- posted      Profile for Illnero   Email Illnero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a moody existential with no political preference of affiliation from a small town and I dig Seinfeld and Curb. I could really do without Friends though.

I watched an episode after the whole "million dollars and episode paycheck" news and I always thought it wasn't that great. When it comes to watching the trials and tribulations of young people in a big city, I'll stick to Bert and Ernie.

Posts: 154 | From: between wash and spin | Registered: Aug 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
ERNIE AND BERT: THE QUEER AS FOLK YEARS!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home