iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » The Ring- ***spoilers***

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Ring- ***spoilers***
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't read this if you don't want to know anything about this movie...because I have a million questions about it, and it will definately give away a bunch of the movie.

I need to discuss this movie...with anyone else
who has ever seen it. Me and my mom watched it last night...and it started off really creepy...and seemed like it was going to be pretty good. But, now that I watched the whole thing, it left about 1,000 unanswered questions...and I don't think if I sat there and watched that movie a million times I would ever figure out the answers for it. Why did that lady kill her daughter?? Where did the daughter even come from? What did the horses getting sick have anything to do with anything? How did watching the tape actually kill people- what was with them scribbling out faces on pictures...or their pictures being distorted in photos- did that just mean they were going to die?? What was with the telephone ringing? Was it called the "Ring"..cause of the circle- or because of the telephone "Ring"...how did the mother and her kid survive and not the dad?? Why didn't they go to the police?? What did the father of the girl have to do with any of it. Why the heck was that movie rated PG-13, and not R? Where did the friend go at the beginning of the movie, when she was looking for her- and did she end up in the psyche ward because she saw her friend die? How come nobody else thought anything strange about 4 kids that all died at the exact same time of day, and who were all friends, how come nobody else thought anything strange of that? Who was talking to the girl on the tape..at the very end????

I hated how it was so dark and dreary...that is the kind of movie that bothers me...where everyone looks like their skin is gray...Naomi Watts...her lips were bright red and her hair was a strange color of yellow, and when they do that type of effect to the movie with the coloring...the people look like Zombies already.

I didn't get it at all. So...I wanted to know who can decifer that whole thing?? How did the tape even get made?? What did that room in the barn symbolize?? What did the burning tree have to do with anything? Did the time of day have anything to do with anything? WOW! I can't figure out anything.

The scene I hated most was the horse jumping off the ferry boat and landing in the ocean, that was awful.

T%his movie has been out for awhile...so that's why I am hoping alot of people have seen it, and can tell me what the heck it was about?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2627

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't like it much either, and mainly because of the animals dying. Why do they gotta make the animals die?

Well I think it was called the Ring because of the circle, I've never really thought about the ringing of the phone, but that's a good question. I think that when you watched the tape she knew and then she called them up and that meant they were going to die. I don't know any of the other answers. [Wink]

Posts: 944 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2627

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But they filmed this movie in the same town that they filmed the Goonies in. [Wink]
Posts: 944 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
need to discuss this movie...with anyone else who has ever seen it. Me and my mom watched it last night...and it started off really creepy...and seemed like it was going to be pretty good. I would ever figure out the answers for it. Why did that lady kill her daughter??
Love this movie. It had something to do with the townsfolk thinking she was cursed or bought bad luck.

quote:
Where did the daughter even come from? What did the horses getting sick have anything to do with anything?
Her mother owned the horses, Samara (the girl) thought her parents loved them more than her, so killed them.

quote:
How did watching the tape actually kill people- what was with them scribbling out faces on pictures...or their pictures being distorted in photos- did that just mean they were going to die?? What was with the telephone ringing?
The phone call was probably just a maguffin, the scribbling out of faces may have signified erosin/emaciation as samara died of hunger. God, this was a pretty grim movie come to think of it [Wink]

quote:
Was it called the "Ring"..cause of the circle- or because of the telephone "Ring"...
The ring was the well being sealed up by samara’s mother when she threw her in there (the hayley joel osmet wannabe drew pictures of it thoughout the movie).

quote:
how did the mother and her kid survive and not the dad??
Because they made a copy of the tape.

quote:
Why didn't they go to the police??
Because Cops are stupid? [Wink]

quote:
What did the father of the girl have to do with any of it.
I reckon she kept him alive to tell the tale or to spread it when someone from outside came to the island.

quote:
Why the heck was that movie rated PG-13, and not R?
Dunno [Wink]

quote:
Where did the friend go at the beginning of the movie, when she was looking for her- and did she end up in the psyche ward because she saw her friend die?
Probably, played by Rachel Bella of ‘The Practice’ fame.

quote:
How come nobody else thought anything strange about 4 kids that all died at the exact same time of day, and who were all friends, how come nobody else thought anything strange of that?
They were stupid? [Wink]

quote:
Who was talking to the girl on the tape..at the very end????
Samara.

quote:
I hated how it was so dark and dreary...that is the kind of movie that bothers me...where everyone looks like their skin is gray...Naomi Watts...her lips were bright red and her hair was a strange color of yellow, and when they do that type of effect to the movie with the coloring...the people look like Zombies already.
Personally, I think it added to the atmosphere, gotta love that part when she comes out of the TV or when you think its over, but its not.

quote:
I didn't get it at all. So...I wanted to know who can decifer that whole thing?? How did the tape even get made??
I think she made it in the barn room

quote:
What did that room in the barn symbolize??
Thats where her parents made her live.

quote:
What did the burning tree have to do with anything? Did the time of day have anything to do with anything? WOW! I can't figure out anything.
Can't quite remember what the tree had to do with it, I'll have to watch it again.

quote:
T%his movie has been out for awhile...so that's why I am hoping alot of people have seen it, and can tell me what the heck it was about?
Personally, I reckon the tape symbolised forcible empathy, i.e. you can only appreciate what she went though, if you have to face it yourself. The girl; Samara wanted everyone to know about her life, it could also be a satire about how the media sensationalsies grief, though I would go with the first interpretation.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok Ok...cool Kash...you answered some important questions, but made me come up with new ones....

At the hospital on the records for the mother- Anna...it looked like she had miscarriages??? Did they go away and adopt Samara?? She was not their biological daughter, right??.. Were they just mental parents??

At the end...where the girl is sitting there in the room that looked like a psyche ward...she has the long hair- that's Samara...but there is a guy asking her questions, and she's answering them on the tape, about why she is going to keep killing people. Who's that guy-?? I didn't think it was Samara asking the questions...it was a man's voice.

I take it the broken finger nails and fingers, were her trying to get out of the well.

Did anyone else not think when Naomi Watts pulled that thing out of her throat that it was gross to watch?? Bluck... what was that thing??

How come the guy at the hotel up in the mountains had the tape to begin with?? Did the hotel have anything to do with it?? How come he never watched it??

The tree was on the wall under the wallpaper in the room in the barn.

The way this movie started with the phone call, reminded me of "Scream".

I know the water signified her drowning in the well.

So, if you watched the tape...were you then possessed by Samara?

Yeah, they made a copy of the tape...but why did the kid at the end say...what about the person that we make watch the tape? It made it sound like they had to make someone else watch it, to stay alive?? None of that made any sense to me.

How come Samara didn't kill the father??

How did the mother Anna, actually die??

I still think it was a confusing movie.

Jules...I hated that scene with the horse cause it died too...but you know my mom was telling me about things they have been showing on animal planet that are just as horrific...I didn't know they showed some of the stuff that she just told me about...she said that when a female lion has a baby cub, they won't come in heat, so the male lion..will sometimes kill the babies, so that the females will mate again. I thought that was awful, my mom said they showed it on tv- showed the male lion killing the cubs, and then the stupid mother lion went over and snuggled up to him...after he killed her baby. Gosh...talk about abusive. Just her telling me about it...made me ill. I can't take stuff like that at all.

I remember when they came out with those series of videos of animals killing other animals in the wild...and I thought who in their right mind would sit there and watch that happen, I can't take watching something die. I can't watch a snake eat a rabbit...or any of that stuff.. I hate when animals die too.

That scene in The Ring with the Horse...looked so real, and I thought it was freaky when everyone was looking over the edge of the ferry and the blood came up from under the ferry....and the kid screamed...uuugh...I hated that scene.

The movie I watched the other day...Nightmare at Bittercreek, the bad guys shoot all the horses and kill them...it was so horrible, they shot the guys dog too-But he survives...I hate seeing animals killed more than people. Yuck!!!!

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2627

Member Rated:
Yeah, I don't watch Animal Planet that much. I like the Crocodile Hunter and Jeff Corwin though. I can't watch those animal cop shows they make me so mad. I mean it's wonderful that they are helping the animals, but I couldn't do that job. I would have to kill those people. And I can't watch it either, it breaks my heart. I love any of the Crocodile Hunter shows though.
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

[ 01. July 2005, 17:51: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like my wingman Kash, I thought "The Ring" was a very entertaining movie. If you are someone like Isis that needs to understand why everything happens, then this might not be your kind of movie. However, for Creepy Cool this movie rocks in my opinion.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
What the heck is she doing in the psyche ward though?? And is that a lie detector hooked up to her or what??? Creepy Cool??? How about Creepy Confusing??

Yeah I need explainations for stuff...how can you follow a movie if it makes no sense??

Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ring is one of my favorite movies. It's one of those films that gives so much to it's viewer. It isn't just 2 hours of entertainment, it's hours of discussion with friends, pondering the symbolism, working out the meaning of events, and analysing the contents of the video tape.

Every time I watch the film I pick up something new - and The Ring certainly does make sense, you just have to pay attention.

I don't like explaining films like The Ring to people because I think everyone should figure it out for themselves. It makes for a much more fulfilling experience.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked The Ring very much as well. Most people say that the original, Japanese version was better, but that I haven’t seen.

I also don’t think that every question you have about a movie needs to be answered immediately. On the contrary – When everything seems too obvious, it makes a film boring.
I personally like movies by David Linch. Now THESE raise many questions. I still haven’t figured out Mullholland Drive completely (btw also with Naomi Watts). But I like that about movies. I like it when a certain movie keeps you awake at night, just BECAUSE it doesn’t seem to make no sense. I like thinking about why this or that happened and discuss the plot with other ppl who have seen it,.. asking what their opinion is. It makes me wanna see the movie over and over again and gradually learn more about why certain things happen.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home