iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Boyz in the Hood

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Boyz in the Hood
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of the most surprising movies to me...and I really thought it was so well done. I hope it is from the 90's. That's when I remember it from.

I thought the acting was fantastic.

But, the ending has one of the most sad, and realistic endings in any movie, and it is so hard for me to watch. Seeing that so many real life similiar things have happened since seeing it for the first time, that are along the same line, I don't know if it would scare me more or less to watch it now.

I own it, because it was so good, but it is one that is hard to watch.

What does anyone else think of it?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen it recently on HBO and it's a great movie...good to see some of the actors when they were starting out, especially Regina King and Cube...they probably have the biggest careers out of them all.

Agreed that it's a tough watch, but it's important to raise one's social conscious one way or another. While fictional, I believe there's enough 'fact' considering the director, John Singletown, lived as the son of two upwardly mobile single parents in South Central...the lead character Trey is quite obviously semi-autobiographical.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"WELCOME TO THE HOOD" ISIS

This is consider a classic amoung the "Thugs" in Da HOOD. This is Ice Cube's 1st! movie after he left the group N.W.A. he still even had his Jerry Curl. This is certainly not and uplifting and feel good movie [Frown] It's real and gritty cause it's TRUE. All that what happens in Boyz N The Hood is what's happening out on these streets. Not just in Cali. but ALL over the country(even in your little quite town). And alot of these issuse i have to face everyday in ATLANTA. Hey ISIS if you liked Boyz N The Hood you really should watch Meance II Society

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

Here's A couple of scenes from the movie ISIS.

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are pretty scary.

I saw the previews for the new movie Ice Cube is in, and it just looks like a video game, with all the computer generated effects.

This movie didn't have any computer effects, it was real life, and those are the type of movies I like.

Thanks for the pictures.

Regina King has majorly improved with age.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked "Juice" also.

But "Don't Be a Menance II South Central..." is a scream.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
I still can't believe you watched this movie ISIS..You have a little "Tough Girl" in you [Wink]

It also show how really "Open Minded" you are. And i really RESPECT that about you ISIS [Cool]

Hey do me a favor....let me know what else "Gangsta" movies you've seen. And one more thing before i forget...What On Earth! made you watch Boyz N Da Hood?????

raggedyman
Master Rewinder
Member # 4065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for raggedyman   Email raggedyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
further recommended viewing - NEW JACK CITY (1991), MENACE II SOCIETY (1993), DEAD PRESIDENTS (1996)
Posts: 241 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CT asked ISIS:
quote:
...And one more thing before i forget...What On Earth made you watch Boyz N Da Hood?????
Maybe because the movie took place during the 80's! [Smile]
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
No it wasn't cause it was set in the 80's, cause when I saw it I hadn't got too far away from the 80's yet, to realize what I was actually going to be missing ....I heard it got great reviews, and that John Singleton was up for an award. I bought the movie. I think I must have rented it first.

I never got in to Gangster type movies, and I don't really consider this Gangster stuff- not like "The Mob" type stuff.

This movie I thought was just regular life stuff, and what it was like living in the city like they did. How the mom of Morris Chestnut and Ice Cube's characters...how she treated both her boys so differently, and how they both turned out differently too because of it.

Trey's girlfriend was such a nice girl, and they were just like regular kids, but they were living in a world, where people shot you on the street if you looked at them the wrong way. I can't imagine living like that, and am grateful I never have ever experienced anything like that.

I loved Lawrence Fishburne and Angela Bassett's characters. It was scary to me when the guy broke in their house, when Trey was a kid, and was trying to rob them, and the Dad shot at him, geez that not how I ever want to live.

But Trey's Dad was there for him, and that was the whole major point of the movie, is look how he turned out by having a Dad around, and how many kids grow up with no Dad.

But, I believe that alot of times it is better to have no Dad, than a bad Dad. My husband grew up with no Dad, and I think he turned out great, and he is a great father, and that is where I think if you ended up with a bum or someone abusive, you would have been better off with nobody.

I love the one scene that Ice Cube does, when he is talking about how many people die in the "Hood", and don't people care?

wallyum
Master Rewinder
Member # 2746

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for wallyum   Email wallyum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't have bothered with it, but I woke up at 3am in a motel room in Staunton, VA. It was just starting, so I went to the Coke machine and got something without caffeine and finished off the pizza that I had ordered for dinner. Great movie.
Posts: 160 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
Hey ISIS i know the part you are speaking of near the end of the movie. ICE CUBE says...."Either they don't know...Don't Show...Or care what goes on in the HOOD". He was saying how they can talk about all the violence around the world...But they did'nt say NOTHING about the murder of his brother. ISIS this is considerd a "GANGSTA" movie too...Not a "MOB" type of GANGSTA movie but a "THUG" type of movie for all the BOYZ N DA HOOD.

My favorite part of this movie is when Doughboy(ICE CUBE) & his buddies MONSTER & DOOKIE. Go riding around town to find the dudes that killed Ricky(DoughBoy's Brother). And MONSTER say "I Hungry Than A Muthafu**A....Let's go get something to eat". And that's when they run across the dudes that killed RICK. MONSTER says.."Hit The Lights Ni**A" and then chopps them down with a fully-Automatic AK-47....Now that's GANGSTA!!!!!!!!

[ 12. April 2005, 06:21: Message edited by: CT......The Son Of Scarface ]

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Yeah...I guess you are very right..C.T. It is gansta...but a different kind. It just is so sad that stuff like that happens, and those people don't have any reason to want to kill each other. It makes no sense, especially when they all can relate to each others worlds, and what that is like living in it, and how maybe the world doesn't have to be that way.
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
I blame "GANGSTA RAP".....I would like to think what it would be like if there was'nt any 'GANGSAT RAP". I'm not saying there would'nt be any violance within the Black Community...But i do think it would'nt be as bad as it is now.
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I think that is true too, I never understood that whole thing about the East Coast vs. the West Coast thing, why on Earth did they have to do all that. Couldn't they all make music, without killing each other? I don't understand stuff like that at all, it is so senseless and a total waste.

[ 14. April 2005, 11:09: Message edited by: ISIS ]

Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
It all started with two RAPPERS.....2 Pac & Biggie Smalls. And the rest is history [Frown]
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CT wrote, in part:
quote:
I would like to think what it would be like if there wasn't any "GANGSTA RAP".
You'd have nothing but M.C. Hammer, Snow, Vanilla Ice, and the guy who did "Rico Suave"! [Smile]
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna Sullivan
Master Rewinder
Member # 4010

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Anna Sullivan   Email Anna Sullivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought this movie was great. It was really gritty, well acted (Cuba Gooding Jr was brilliant). It really tore at the heart strings though. I found it incredibly sad. Alas, when I actually went to America in 1989, we hired a convertible and drove through South Central. However, I didn't see any gang bangs or drive by's. All I saw was quite nicely manicured lawns and a few pimped up rides...just like in Bowling for Columbine.
Posts: 232 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home