iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Another olive branch to 90s fans..."Tiny Toon Adventures" and "Animaniacs"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another olive branch to 90s fans..."Tiny Toon Adventures" and "Animaniacs"
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To prove I'm not 80s-exclusive and also to mend some fences, did anybody watch these shows in the 90s?

I greatly enjoyed these, as well as "Pinky And The Brain" and "Freakazoid!". All of them were Warner Brothers cartoons executive-produced by Steven Spielberg. Interestingly, Spielberg did voice-overs in the "Tiny Toons" episodes "The Looney Beginning" and "Buster And Babs Go Hawaiian".

What I like about these shows was that despite the fact that they were made for kids, there was a lot for adults as well. From pop culture references and spoofs to jokes about the administrations of both George H.W Bush and Bill Clinton to a stunning amount of sex jokes for kids' programs (breast and penis jokes, double entendres...The closing credits of a "Tiny Toon Adventures" episode alluded to the "F" bomb!)

That's edgy stuff, and I wish these cartoons were still on the air. Here's to hoping they come out on DVD someday.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These were the best cartoons ever, and I completely agree that they were good because they weren't just kid-exclusive. They weren't dumbed down at all and they were just fun. I loved the pigeons and Slappy the Squirrel. [Big Grin] Top notch stuff, right there.
Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, while the shows did do preachy cartoons (don't litter, don't smoke, et al), "Animaniacs" eventually blowtorched the lobbying groups and political correctness in a short entitled "A Very Special Episode". At the beginning, Yakko, Wakko and Dot are saying the lines handed to the studios by activist groups, but it's discovered that they're only doing it to get an award. When another program beats them, the Warners do TV-safe politically incorrect things (eating pizza, jumping into the arms of beautiful women and talking about their gas-guzzling car).

As Slappy Squirrel would say, "Now THAT'S comedy!"

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked TINY TOONS but hated ANIMANIACS.

Its funny the stuff you can sit through as a kid can rub you the wrong way as an adult. I had pulled out my back and was lying helpless on the couch watching TINY TOONS when all of a sudden Elmira went on. I started to scream and throw stuff before she even got a chance to say a line. My husband ran in and changed the channel. I said "Elmira's voice goes right through me and she is quite possibly the most annoying cartoon charactor to ever exist!"

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forrest Gump's voice has the same effect on me..!
Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend has the same problem with Aunt Clara from BEWITCHED.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raggedyman
Master Rewinder
Member # 4065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for raggedyman   Email raggedyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ANIMANIACS was rubbish. THE wacky animated series of the 90's was THE REN & STIMPY SHOW.
Posts: 241 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rainbowbrite22
Given the choice, Duckie would have been Luckie...
Member # 2288

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rainbowbrite22   Author's Homepage   Email Rainbowbrite22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked tiny toon adventures [Smile] we're tiny we're tuy we're all a little looney [Smile]
Posts: 1270 | From: GA the peachie state :) | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pinky And The Brain is cool. I could watch them all day. Animaniacs was fun, but in much smaller doses I guess.

It all goes to show that if you want to make a successful kids show, don't sanitize it too much. If you make it so that no adults can bear to watch, it'll never get on TV. That's why a lot of the Pixar movies are so good - because kids see them on one level, and there's often a whole other strata of plot and humor going on for the adults. We have a few entertainment genres in the UK like this (pantomime shows at Christmas, and things like the Carry On movies of the sixties and seventies) that you can sit and watch with your kids, both laughing, and about completely different things.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home