iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Please Help Me!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Please Help Me!
Richie
Master Rewinder
Member # 3527

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am doing some research on Larry Flynt. Basically I am doing it because of the things that I have seen in the movie, The People vs. Larry Flynt. And for the most part the story itself is great and really helping me out, except one major thing. In the movie, after Jerry Falwell sues Larry, and they are looking at that case, Larry turns around and countersues Falwell! This was an awesome move, and I cannot find any source that can confirm that it really did happen. PLEASE HELP ME!!
Posts: 248 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Richie maybe someone like StevenHW can find the actual courtcase, but here is what was said on Larry King Live one night:

Jerry Falwell vs Larry Flynt

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The court case really did happen.

I was watching the Court-TV cable channel, and they have a 30-minute show called "Hollywood Justice", where one show-biz celebrity is profiled if he/she has had an arrest record, or a history of bad behavior (drugs, alcohol, brawls, etc.), or got into some controversy that interested the court of law.

A few days ago, they did a show on Larry Flynt and his run-ins with censorship laws, zoning laws, the attempted assassination on him, and, of course, his lawsuit against Jerry Falwell.

Flynt came out with his own book called "An Unseemly Man". I have not read it, but I'm sure the lawsuit is mentioned there.

In the meantime, I suggest you go to the following site, and scroll down to the part where it says "Legal Battles":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Flynt

Or, specifically, for the Falwell lawsuit, click here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hustler_Magazine_v._Falwell

Basically, what saved Flynt's butt was that there was a disclaimer in the bottom which said, "Ad Parody - Not To Be Taken Seriously".

Here's the pseudo-"ad":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hustler_Falwell_parody.jpg

Check your local listings for that TV show! And good luck on your research! [Smile]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richie
Master Rewinder
Member # 3527

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank You very much! But I should have been a little more specific in my query, the particular countersuit that I am referring to was Flynt supposedly sues Falwell for copyright infringement when Falwell made copies of the ad and sent them out in his flyers saying that he fully intended to sue. Anything on that particular suit? Or did it actually happen as well?
Posts: 248 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home