iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Movie of the Day--Titanic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie of the Day--Titanic
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay my brother in law just watched this for the first time on Saturday. He liked it, I couldn't believe that he hadn't seen it. It really is a masterpeace. The only way to make a movie of that proportion basically like you were living the whole time that the disaster was happenening. While I watched it again, I could almost feel how cold the water was.

James Cameron truly is an astonishing filmmaker. Every movie that he made is well thought out and executed in every sense of the word. I love the way he worked the love story in the film as well, it really was the backbone of the film and one of those that had to end the way that it did.

What are your guys'thoughts on this flick?

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a technical standpoint, it's outstanding.

From a storyline standpoint, it's sappy!

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Steve it had Kate Winslet in it.

think about it

two little words

two words when used seperately from one another are common and ordinary

BUT

when used together

perfection

in summary

Kate=boring

Winslet=boring

KATE WINSLET=SHAZAM

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hated it. Walked out halfway through (after the Kate Winslet lying around unclothed scene, Sam).

****** POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

It sinks.......

[Razz]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The storyline was pretty sappy but like steve said technically it was outstanding and some of the imagery was chilling, breathtaking and very emotional.

It was kind of an arthouse movie with a terrible storyline that appeals to the masses.

but
it did have

KATE WINSLET

SHAZAM

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah but she looked a little porky. I preferred her in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

I like the natural look.
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't hardly think she looked porky, more like healthy!
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it with a friend at the movies, and then at the Drive-In with my husband. I bought it on VHS. But, I couldn't watch it over and over and over again. It was really too long for me. It was cool, because of how horrifying the real thing would have been, and to try and imagine something like that, is beyond horrible. I can't imagine leaving my husband to die on that ship, I would have gone down too. It is funny cause this year on the anniversary of the real sinking of the Titanic, is the 2 year anniversary of the bad wreck we were in that almost killed us, and now I remember that day so well myself, for personal reasons.

I always will like the Poseidon Adventure alot better than Titanic-I just liked the cast so much better.

They give away too much about how a movie is made.

How come nobody said:

I am the King of the World!! I really thought Sam or Noms must say it like every day- [Razz] [Wink] [Razz]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat
Master Rewinder
Member # 2334

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Fat   Email Fat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little off topic but, why was Kate Winslet so attractive in Eternal Sunshine? Something about her character in that movie is insanely attractive. Isis, you've seen Eternal Sunshine right?...Come on, fess up, you thought she was hot [Razz]
Posts: 180 | From: Nor. Cal 510 | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no interest in seeing this movie on the big screen and remain uninterested in the Cameron version of a story I've always found very compelling...A&E channel has an excellent series on the making, launching & sinking of the Titanic which is now available on DVD...for my money, I'd rather enjoy interviews with the remaining survivors than Leo & Kate, as much as I think her talent is awesome.

This is a subjective forum, so I will go on record as stating that James Cameron is so not in the same league as Clint Eastwood, Merchant-Ivory and legends of classic Hollywood film-makers.

Kate Winslet is da bomb, but she'll have to live this one down for a long time.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fat-nope I never saw that movie, I never even heard of it until the Academy Awards. I actually think Kate Winslet got better looking here lately- as she got older, she actually looks younger.

What is that movie actually about?? Because again, from clips and previews and even the title, I have no clue what the movie is suppose to be about??? [Confused]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat
Master Rewinder
Member # 2334

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Fat   Email Fat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You *might* enjoy this one Isis. It's a very different and realistic approach to a love story/relationship that ends up going sour. Because of the excessive relationship problems, the girl (Winslet) turns to a method of innovative psychology to rid her of the problems. The plot is extremely original and the movie is filmed in a fashion that can be confusing until about 3/4 of the way through the movie, but hang in there, it'll all start to make sense at the end. Definately a must see if you enjoy movies that make you think and wonder "Could this really happen?"
Posts: 180 | From: Nor. Cal 510 | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KATE WINSLET is beautiful, even when she looked porky. nothing wrong with having some meat on your bones.
i loved titanic. good love story, and it was interesting to me, because it's a piece of history (minus the love story) and thought james cameron did a good job, as always.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
Sorry but I couldn't even finish Eternal Sunshine, it was to werid.
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Titanic had wonderful special effects, but like many others have stated, it took too long to get to the part everyone came for....The Iceberg!! I have always been intrigued about what really happened and loved to watch National Geographics unmmanned subs "Insearch of Titanic" specials. So the movie was neat, but not a repeat viewer for me.

Nice plot spoiler Paul...so uncool. [Smile]

Isis you should catch Eternal Sunshine, just not the movie....how about Bermuda instead? [Wink]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
All righty...it works for me...I'll pack my bag!

Come get me in your new sports car! [Wink] [Razz] [Wink] [Cool]

Make sure you got your parachute pants on to match your parachute doors- [Razz]

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ValleyCat wrote:
quote:
Titanic had wonderful special effects, but like many others have stated, it took too long to get to the part everyone came for....The Iceberg!!
Which is why I recommend the following site instead. At least their version of Titanic lasts only 30 seconds!

(you will need a fast connection for this one):
http://www.angryalien.com/0604/titanicbunnies.html

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually liked Titanic. I just can't stand that title song that was soooo overplayed on the radio.
The FX were amazing.
Kate Winslet ---- I like porky!

Has anyone seen Winslet in the movie ENIGMA?

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL...I was civil? I really wanted to say it was Hollywood schlock but you know how I try to stay away from controversy here.~wink at Jabeen

Kate is great...I'd be porky like her any day.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home