iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Serial Mom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Serial Mom
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were talking about Kathleen Turner over on the '80s Movies Board and I said this is one of my favorite of her performances.

I must have ESP because it turned up on HBO last night...it's such a hilarious send-up of media hype, while John Waters gets his usual digs towards conventional suburbanites.

Personally, I think Beverly Sutphin [Turner] was justified in her outrage towards people who don't rewind videos and women wearing white shoes after labor day...you go, my girl!

Beverly Sutphin: Do I need a lawyer?
Chip Sutphin: You need an agent.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I love this one to. It is a funny storyline, a perfect mom who happens to get really annoyed and kill people that steal her parking spaces. I have this on DVD. The first performance that I saw Matthew Lilliard in. I love the sunnyness about the movie, I love how pretty it always looked outside. A perfect spring flick. Kind of like an end of the school year flick to watch.

Other good ones for that time of year are The Allnighter and Dazed and Confused.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Dazed definitely should be watched in June.
Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GremlinBreakfast
Rewind Gizmo
Member # 2585

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for GremlinBreakfast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember seeing 'Serial Mom' for the first time back in 1995. I was 13, and thought it was one of the funniest movies I had ever seen.

Kathleen Turner was born to play the role of Beverley Sutphin, and it was great to see Mink Stole and Ricki Lake (regulars of John Waters' movies) star in it too. As for Matthew Lillard, I think it might have been his breakthrough performance.

Yes the movie is dark and not to everyone's taste, but I can't help but laugh-out-loud at scenes that some might seem 'sick and disturbing' to watch. Leg of lamb anyone?! [Big Grin] She gets nastier and more inventive as the movie progresses, and you can't help but root for her to be annoyed by yet another victim.

It's a great black comedy! Kathleen Turner surely keeps everything together and makes the movie just what it is..... FUN! I've heard rumours of a sequel - and to be honest, I would quite like to see who my favourite movie mother kills next.

~grems!

Posts: 318 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
My favorite of her 'issues' is the white shoes at the trial...I've had a beef about those awful white shoes for years, so I think I am serial mom at heart.

Juror 8: Fashion has changed.
Beverly: No it hasn't! [whack]

Of all the funny genres out there, black comedy/social satire is by far what tickles my funnybone the most.

Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched this again the other night and I swear it just keeps getting funnier every time. I love that Beverly is obsessed with Barry Manilow, what a funny artist to be covered in this film.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does Bree van der Kamp remind anyone of Beverly Sutphin?

And I have to know, what is the deal with wearing white shoes after labour day? When is labour day?

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
Oh Stitchy you are so cute!! Yes Bree Van De Kamp does remind me a little of Beverly Sutphin except maybe without the murder.

The rule here in America is kind of like you only wear white shoes in the summer and spring time. Labor Day is the first Monday in September. So according to the film Beverly was on trial in October and Patty Hearst character was wearing right shoes and that is a no no!!!!

Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't tell me that Bree wouldn't resort to murder if necessary. I'm positive she would.
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
This has been on again a lot lately. A funny scene that I think doesn't get enough attention is when Beverly and her friend go and visit Dottie Hinkle. Beverly starts talking in her voice that she uses when she prank calls Dottie, all because she stole her parking space one day.

Oh she is just so gooey sweet, the killing edge about her is what makes it a cult classic.

pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serial Mom is a hilarious movie. But I've got two words for what makes it so great...Matthew Lillard!! He's so gorgeous.... [Big Grin]
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without a doubt this is Kathleen Turner's funniest performance ever. Love this movie!..sorry, had to resurrect this old thread cause this movie's just too good to ignore.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home