iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » '90s Music...Again

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: '90s Music...Again
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started using a new Internet radio at my desk and find myself in the '90s Alternative station most of the time...I gotta tell you folks, I'm so loving the variety of what I'm hearing:

-REM
-Social Distortion
-The Pixies
-Radiohead
-Soundgarden
-Smashing Pumpkins
-Toad the Wet Sprocket
-tons of Brit imports!

There's a plethora of 'one hit wonders' I'm really enjoying -- Flagpole Sitter, Bittersweet Symphony, yada-yada.

I'm on a kick to pick up as many 'greatest hits' collections of these various artists now. I grabbed Midnight Oil and James [duh, I know they both started in the '80s but most bands have a longstanding history regardless of what we know from radio airplay]...both great collections.

Next up will be Toad, 311 and Concrete Blonde...gotta love Johnette Napolitano.

Tonight I drive 2 hours to Worcester, MA for Green Day!

~Rock on and don't forget to roll

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-Soundgarden
cool band, was listening to 'Blackhole sun' and 'blow up the outside world' just the other day.

-Smashing Pumpkins
Saw them on one of their farewell gigs, they were pretty cool (though the frontman was defiantly checking his lyrics on a crib sheet),
highlight had to be seeing Heather Graham right next to me.

-tons of Brit imports!
who could forget accccid house, 'the farm', 'emf' 'klf' 'the shamen', 'prodigy' et all.

'Bittersweet Symphony' still a 'Verve' classic along with 'drugs don't work', I even liked Richard Ashcroft's solo attempt 'crazy world'.

--Tonight I drive 2 hours to Worcester, MA for Green Day!
Rock on Hipstermom, funny how any three guys with guitars and spiky haircuts all think they're 'Green Day' these days!

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL: We had a great time though it's tough to be from NYS in a crowd of Red Sox fans.

It was a great fans show: many cuts from the new very political CD...a slew of 'old school' Cali-punk-pop hits...the thousands of kids around us were having a great experience. My fiance I are just soaked it all in with great amusement, since we aren't the kind of parental supervisors who would buy a ticket and then prefer to sit outside the stands reading a book...we were right in the thick of it!

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favourite bands are Pulp....anyone in the USA ever heard of them????
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
YES I have! The old 'muchmusic' out of Canada [their version of our MTV] used to play Pulp...now they are called 'fuze' and you don't get the world music flair.

I like Pulp and also The Beautiful South...there is good music everywhere if you look for it.

Down with commercial pop music...long live hipsters everywhere!

Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget the great wars of the 90's - East 17 versus Take That, but more more importantly and famously - Oasis vs Blur.
In my opinion Oasis was at it's peak with "What's the story, Morning Glory". Awesome album, and they have never bettered it. Blur had less classis songs, but over a longer time period, from "Boys and Girls" through to "Song 2" in 1997.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How sad is this.....I once was involved in a debate that became very heated at school, for which the basis was....if Take That and East 17 had a fight...who would win??......it was serious stuff at the time..... [Big Grin]

ps if you havent heard of Pulp...get Different Class...its a brilliant album

Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
"What's The Story, Morning Glory" is on my 'classics I will always listen to' list...my 17-year-old likes it too...in fact, if it's missing I'm sure to find it in her possession.

Speaking of '90s music, I am seeing Cake in a few weeks if you've heard of them.

GremlinBreakfast
Rewind Gizmo
Member # 2585

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for GremlinBreakfast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also had heated debates in school (chemistry to be exact) as to who was better - blur or oasis! I was the only one who preferred Blur, and I could never justify my argument as to why I thought so, thus NEVER being able to win! [Frown]

Put simply, I guess the songs of Blur are just more fun to listen to! 'MOR' was definately one of my favourites! I also loved 'Song-2,' 'Girls & Boys,' 'Parklife,' 'Beetlebum,' 'Coffee & TV,' and 'Charmless Man.'

As mentioned above, I'm also a fan of the classics that are 'Bittersweet Symphony' and 'Drugs Don't Work' by The Verve! Not forgetting.... 'Alright' and 'Pumping On Your Stereo' by Supergrass! [Smile]

You've got me thinking of even more now, haha! I also love 'Common People' and 'Disco 2000' by Pulp. Gosh, I could go on.... but I think I'll overload by the time I have dinner!

....to be continued! [Wink]

~grems!

[ 23. November 2004, 08:29: Message edited by: GremlinBreakfast ]

Posts: 318 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
Cool Grems....I reckon that Blur are the thinking mans Britpop........so that is a testament to your intellect......Song 2 is an absoloute classic, and features on my in car compilation tape.....woooooo hoooooo.

Urban Hymns is a really cool album, it reminds me of being in my first year at Uni

Do you remember the other Britpop bands that were around at the same time...Echobelly, Sleeper, The lightening Seeds etc.....they all are nostalgia central baby.

GremlinBreakfast
Rewind Gizmo
Member # 2585

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for GremlinBreakfast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Intellectual, moi?! Noooooooo! I only did chemistry because I had too! I was more interested in PE, Graphic Design and lunch. [Smile]

I remember the Lighning Seeds, but I'm not sure about Sleeper.... Echobelly rings a bell though but I'm not sure of any of their songs!

I loved the britpop stage of the 90's... although before that I was a raver, and loved everything bonkers and other happy hardcore stuff. haha... oh the shame! But forgive me, I was only 8 or 9.

Prodigy were awesome around the mid-90's too, not forgetting the Spice Girls! [Wink]

~grems!

Posts: 318 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys i'm going all excitable........I'm gonna download a bunch of those songs today....

you know the soundtrack to Cruel Intentions....haha....has a good amount of these songs on it.......it's a really good sdtrk! Does anyone else love it like me? [Smile] Not the movie....haha the Soundtrack....wanted to make that clear!!!

so Gremster.....do you still like to dress up in the leopard skin and growl at people like your Scary Spice...aren't you a little tall in those platforms?? haha....better stick to the GA! [Wink]

"spice up your life" [Razz] !

I was a big Janes Addiction fan in the 90's....I still love them now I totally consider them 90's music.

I went to a Soundgarden show when they opened for
Skid Row in 92! haha...I was so in the front!..I was into all kinds of music then still am......even cheese on toast! haaaaaaa!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home