iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » The Exorcist

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Exorcist
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know many people say The Exorcist is a very disturbing and unsettling movie, people maybe scared, or they may not be.

What's you're view, did you find it scary?

My Opinion:
I actually love this film!
I hear people say it's terrifying, I hear people say it's not. Personally, I don't find it's scary at all, however, it's one of my favorite films. I must praise Linda Blair, isn't she talented?

Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally think that the movie is terrible but it's hard to know what I would have thought of it when it came out. It probably was really scary back then but time, culture, expectations change and now we can look at it without being scared (and even laugh).

Unfortunately I was not born when this came out, perhaps someone who saw it when it came out can give us their 2 cents?

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it a dreadful bore. I love Part 3 though.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought that The Exorcist, while good, was way overrated. As I've gotten older, I've liked it more and come to recognize its significance in film history. It's the film that "legitimized" horror films to many critics and film snobs. Until then, horror films were seen as this tawdry genre that no one respected. Then The Exorcist, a big studio film directed by a name director, came along to critical acclaim and big box office and changed the game. A few years later, we had Carrie with two acting Oscar nominations. Today, not only are horror films completely legitimate, for many studios they can be extremely lucrative. Look at just about anything that Blumhouse produces--even if you don't particularly like one of their films, you have to admit that it's extremely well made on a frugal budget--and consequently, can make the studio a huge profit.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't born when it was released either! But, I always thought it was a fantastic film. I could watch it over and over again without getting bored.

I started to watch Part II as my friend wanted me to see it with her, although neither of us found it that good. I need to watch it again sometime, though. I probably wasn't fully engaged when I first started to watch it as it was pretty late at night.

Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
Watched Exorcist ll: The Heretic the other day...

The first time I started watching it, I wasn't too fond of it. I didn't watch all of it, since it was late and night, and really should of been going to sleep.

I watched it, the whole film, the other day... I must say, I pleasantly enjoyed it! I thought it was really good! Anyone else like The Heretic?

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was not born either when The Exorcist came out so I can't give my input there. I can imagine it must have been a pretty cool experience to see it on the big screen upon release though. Being this was a time when theatrical horror movies were still pretty obscure. I mean this was still several years before the original Friday the 13th would be released.

But like others have mentioned in their posts, I wasn't that freaked out by it when I first saw it and did find it pretty dull and boring for the most part. The makeup and suspense in the good scenes are still quite impressive, but the rest of the movie just drags on so slowly. This is why I'm actually a bigger fan of some of the more modern possession films like Stigmata or The Exorcism of Emily Rose.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the original but have to say that The Heretic is pretty bad.
It includes few interesting death scenes but nowadays i only watch it because Linda Blair looks absolutely stunning in it.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCU
Master Rewinder
Member # 2851

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JCU   Email JCU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scary is a relative term depending on who is asked. The Exorcist lacked the jumps and scares exemplified in 1970 and 80's horror but it was scary if you believed in God and Satan.

When I watch the fill I prefer to view the longer cuts rather than the theatrical cut.

Posts: 115 | From: Northeastern PA | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home