iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 99)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  96  97  98  99  100  101  102  ...  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Grand Theft Auto (1977)

"A rich girl steals her dad's Rolls Royce and heads off to Las Vegas to get married. However, her angry parents, a jealous suitor, and a bunch of reward seekers are determined to stop her." (IMDb)

Watched this Corman film which is somekind of a sequel to Eat My Dust and it was ok but nothing special.
The story is just an excuse to drive fast and create car crash stunts.

Ron Howard also directed the movie (his first) and it feels like the only place he wants to be is behind the camera.
They did shoot his scenes quickly but at least he got to kiss cute Nancy Morgan many times [Smile]

It´s a very lightweight and silly film but did very well at the boxoffice.

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You gotta love Roger Corman. When he owned New World pictures, his films fit into such neat exploitation film niches:
1. Women in prison
2. Nurses/teachers, always three girls, ethnically mixed
3. Science fiction, often with humor
4. Car chase/crash
5. Bikers
6. Horror
7. Martial arts
8. Teen sex comedies
9. Foreign art film

I think he hit all the genres there.

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love Story (1970)

"A boy and a girl from different backgrounds fall in love regardless of their upbringing - and then tragedy strikes." (IMDb)

Finally got to watch this legendary romantic drama and it´s quite touching stuff.
I like O´Neal and MacGraw, they rehearsed a long time and it shows. There´s lots of dialogue here and most of it kept me entertained.

I also enjoyed the fall/winter scenery. Part of me wants to go back to 70s early 80s, i just can´t help it [Smile]

The film was of course a huge success and saved Paramount.
May have to purchase the sequel Oliver´s Story at some point.

-

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aTomiK, i bet you had a hard time trying not to cry at the end of the movie ! [Razz]

By the way, that Love Story theme from composer Francis Lai stays with you forever.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, it made me wet my eyes a little. I´m a sentimental fella when i care about the characters.
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Love Story is the best of the "people with terminal diseases get more beautific the closer they get to death" films. [Smile] I remember when it came out. It'a a good film and was a huge hit.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so fond of the people with terminal diseases get more beautific the closer they get to death films LOL
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I haven't seen Love Story in many, many years, but didn't she have some unnamed movie terminal disease that made her more beautiful? ROFL
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, i believe it was Roger Ebert who said it first.

But i have to say to movies credit that MacGraw´s character didn´t want to take the hard drugs which takes your hair away amongst other things.
She just wanted to die fast because she didn´t belive she could be cured.

Thank god the modern medicine has evolved.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I actually have an entry in Roger Ebert's Little Movie Glossary, where he coined stuff like "fruit cart" and "Ali McGraw dieases." [Smile]
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Metzger´s Score (1974) and it was yet another very good high class erotica picture.
Nice locations, good cast, great dialogue with fun double meanings and awesome soundtrack.

I was however quite pleased that the Arrow release included the soft version (may be the first time ever) because things got pretty wild in the end [Smile]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've watched a cool little Terence Fisher film, Home To Danger (1951)

-

And some weird and wonderful Werner Herzog films, Heart of Glass and Stroszek

-  -

Question, does Bruno S always act like this? His approach didn't seem much different than when he played Kaspar Hauser.

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

The Big Doll House (1971)

"Beautiful women prisoners are abused in a Philippine prison, until 5 of them plot an escape by taking the evil female warden hostage with the reluctant help of 2 male fruit vendors." (IMDb)

This was pretty good Roger Corman women in prison movie directed by Jack Hill.
This has all the usual wip film ingredients: wicked warden who likes to torture topless prisoners, shower scenes and escape plan.

That said, this is one of the most entertaining i´ve seen. The characters all have a past and some kind of personality.
The film stars Judith Brown, Roberta Collins, Pam Grier, Brooke Mills and Pat Woodell as prisoners.
Kathryn Loder plays the warden and Christiane Schmidtmer her superior. Sid Haig and Jerry Frank are the funny fruit vendors.

Collins is excellent and this was a first major role for Grier. She also sings the theme tune Long-time Woman. Entertaining stuff for the fans of the genre.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I, too, like the Roger Corman WIP films. The Big Doll House is a good one, as is Caged Heat. Pam Grier is really nutty in this one. Isn't her character named "Alabama"? And Tarantino in his screenplay for True Romance had Patricia Arquette as Alabama as an homage, right?
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Grier was Alabama in Women in Cages which i by the way watched last night...
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Women in Cages (1971)

"Carol Jeffries (known as 'Jeff') is a naive American woman staying in the Phillipines. She is given ten years in prison after being set up by her drug-dealer boyfriend, Rudy.
She endures the harsh conditions, sadistic head matron and attempts on her life, then convinces her cell-mates to try to escape with her through the jungle,
in spite of the knowledge that ruthless trackers will be sent out after them." (IMDb)

Yeah, another Corman wip flick, this time directed by filippino Gerardo de Leon who isn´t quite as talented as Jack Hill.

Pam Grier is on the other side now as the ruthless head matron. Of course she´s too young to play this kind of role but she did ok.
Judith Brown and Roberta Collins are back as prisoners and we can see Jennifer Gan and filippino action star Sofia Moran with them behind bars.

Some torture, shower scene, escape plan. You know how it goes [Smile]
While not as good as The Big Doll house, this is also entertaining stuff. In this film we can see more outside prison action in the beginning and in the end.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Ah, yes! I stand corrected. It's hard for me to keep track of which of the Filipino/Corman WIP films is which. They all have "those" elements.

aTomK, you've seen Hollywood Boulevard, where Joe Dante and Allan Arkush did the hilarious spoof of the Filipino WIP films with Paul Bartel as the director, right?

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
And some weird and wonderful Werner Herzog films, Heart of Glass and Stroszek

Question, does Bruno S always act like this? His approach didn't seem much different than when he played Kaspar Hauser.

I can't answer that question, but i do own The Werner Herzog Collection, released by the British Film Institute.
It includes no less than 18 movies, plus additional short films as well as several documentaries and commentaries.
So far i've only seen Aguire, The Wrath Of God (of course), Nosferatu, Fitzcarraldo, and Cobra Verde.

-

So many movies.. all those bonus features.. too much information.. It's giving me a headache !
I'll probably never find the time to work my way through everything that is included in the box set. [Frown]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I´ve only seen The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Nosferatu and Woyzeck from Herzog. Should watch more.

Crash, still haven´t got Hollywood Boulevard but i remember that the sequel included filippino spoof too. This time it was the war films.

http://www.fast-rewind.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/10203.html#000000

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
That sequel wasn't really very good. It was too slick and not nearly as inside/charming as the original.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Fab boxset Johnny! I've just watched a depressing doc of his, Land of Silence and Darkness. I haven't seen too many of his films myself but I haven't seen one that I haven't liked! Nosferatu is by far my fave. I think it is equal to the silent original. I see a new Nosferatu is being made. Surprised they took so long really.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
White Heat (1949) - For someone with a big passion for gangster films I'm ashamed to say I had never seen this one before. But what a treat! Cagney was on fire. Beginning and end parts didn't let up whilst the middle section took its time building up great suspense. Maybe just a tad too long but other than that I have nothing remotely bad to say.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

The Big Bird Cage (1972)

"Terry, a social-climbing young woman accidentally gets caught up in the activities of two revolutionaries, Blossom and Django, and finds herself in a concentration camp for women.
In the center of the camp is a towering wooden machine ("The Big Bird Cage") in which the women risk their lives processing sugar as the evil warden looks on.
The prisoners are subjected to sadistic cruelty from the guards and fellow prisoners, and all attempts at escape are dealt with...permanently.
Terry's only hope for escape lies in Blossom and her revolutionary allies." (IMDb)

Third Grier/Corman wip-flick adds yet another angle.
This was highly entertaining feature with lots of humour and even director Jack Hill has said that this is more a spoof than basic women in prison film.

The cast is great with many pretty prisoners including Anitra Ford as Terry. Sid Haig is in once again and it was also fun to see Vic Diaz as one of the gay guards.

We can hear lots of fun dialogue, the camp looks great and the naturally girls will smash the place in the end. Highly recommended!

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
White Heat is a favorite of mine, Helen. Cagney's fantastic, and the screenplay is excellent and, for its day, pretty twisted. (How about that weird mother-complex?) "Made it, Ma, top of the world!" Classic ending.
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Johnny Rourke, that Werner Herzog Collection caught my eye! I need this! Going to ask the hubby to get it for my birthday, which is September 21, along with a new pair of Dr. Martin's boots
Posts: 2292 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  96  97  98  99  100  101  102  ...  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home