iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 89)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  ...  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
White Lightning (1973)

This was a good and sweaty action drama set in Arkansas area.
Burt Reynolds plays "Gator" McKlusky, a con who teams up with federal agents to get the evil sheriff Connors (Ned Beatty) who has murdered his brother.
Enjoyable dialogue, moonshine everywhere and lots of chase scenes. Bo Hopkins, Matt Clark, R.G. Armstrong and Jennifer Billingsley also star.
Reynolds is in fine form and Beatty is superslimy. They also made a sequel called Gator in ´76. Gonna check it out soon.

Burt and Bo
 -

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some great actors there,I really like bo Hopkins I think he's great,as is r.g. armstrong who whenever I think off I think about - lone wolf mcquade and - evilspeak,he's been in absolutely loads of great films over the years.

Never seen - white lightning or gator,there two of of Burt's I need to check out!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Girlfriends (movie, 1978) starring Melanie Mayron. It was definitely a chick flick, but I could totally relate.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Never heard of this one before Pittsburgh girl,it's got a good cast - eli wallach,Christopher guest and who I thought was a really good actor - kenneth McMillan http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0573299/?ref_=tt_cl_t8 who was awesome in the Stephen king adaption of cat's eye and also as the father in the brilliant Aidan Quinn,Daryl Hannah flick reckless from 1984.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
The Longest Yard (1974)

Fun actioner starring Burt Reynolds, Eddie Albert, the always reliable Ed Lauter,
James Hampton (Michael J Fox's dad in Teen Wolf), exploitation goddess Anitra Ford (The Big Bird Cage,
Invasion of the Bee Girls, Messiah of Evil), and lots of familiar bad guy faces among the inmates
including Richard Kiel.

In the opening scenes Anitra Ford gets slapped around by Burt.. hard ! (i hope it was a stunt double)

Burt.. i love you, man. But slapping Anitra just ain't cool and makes me mad. Are we crystal ?! [Big Grin]

Watched The Longest Yard and i gotta tell you that the first 15 mins of this film was five star material.
I agree that Burt treats Anitra pretty bad but the documentary says that it was director Aldrich who told him to do it.
So, i loved the beginning and the jail scenes are mostly good. The only propblem is that everyone knows how these sports films are going to end.
The Longest Yard is a very good movie and it was one of the first of it´s kind but i just can´t call it a classic.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the #@?*.. When did i post that original message ? [Big Grin]
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Digged pretty deep [Smile]
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Young warrior, I had never heard of it before either. I just stumbled upon it at lunchtime last week, and finished watching it on VOD. Christopher Guest is so young looking in this movie, he reminded me of Michael Cera.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched this awesome and crazy Australian comedy The Adventures of Barry McKenzie (1972).
"Young Australian, Barry McKenzie, travels to England with his Aunt Edna after his father dies and a request is revealed in his will." (IMdb)

The film was directed by the great Bruce Beresford and it´s based on comic strip created by Barry "Dame Edna" Humphries who also acts in this one.
Barry Crocker plays the leading role and he´s fantastic. Lots and lots of superfunny scenes in this one.
Loved the early 70s politically incorrect atmosphere and the crazy characters.
The 2-disc set includes cool extra material, for example a fantastic 2 hour documentary of the film. Greetings to my mate down under!

Dame Edna Everage and Barry
 -

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"A clerical mistake results in a bumbling Indian film star being invited to an exclusive Hollywood party instead of being fired."

-

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
Young warrior, I had never heard of it before either. I just stumbled upon it at lunchtime last week, and finished watching it on VOD. Christopher Guest is so young looking in this movie, he reminded me of Michael Cera.

I just googled a couple of pics of the film and then of michael cera and i'd say you're spot on there pittsburghgirl,there's a definite resemblance between the two!

That Barry humphries film sounds fun atomik,I've never seen peter sellers - the party either j2me and that looks great also.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
White Lightning sequel Gator (1976) was another one i watched last weekend.

"Agents force a former con man to help them nab a corrupt politician." (IMDb)

What a disappointing sequel! This is definitely not the same character we saw in White Lighting.
I know that he has a daughter now and has kind of settled down but what a boring Gator McKlusky we see here.
Reynolds just wanders through the film and i suppose this is because Gator was the first film he also directed.
This makes it easy for Jerry Reed to steal the whole show. Bama McCall is a fun little villain and has some great dialog. I also like the theme tune Reed sings during the opening credits.
However as a whole, the film is uneven and the screenplay just can´t hold your attention.

While Burt is sleepwalking, Reed is having all the fun
 -

[ 11. January 2016, 22:04: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry Reed was so funny. What was that movie he did with delouise and the lady from the tv show Hunter? They ran an undercover pawn shop. It was pretty funny.
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Oh, that was Hot Stuff! I watched it while the site was down. Fun film!
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! That's it aTomiK.
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

I watched - the Kentucky fried movie over the weekend and considering this John Landis directed comedy is now about 39 years old and is made up of mostly random sketches it surprisingly still holds up rather well,theres the odd scene that went straight over my head and it did feel slightly uneven at times but for the majority of it it still hits the target!

-

Loads of nudity and a complete absence of political corectness this was just out right bonkers in parts and you could tell that the zucker brothers (airplane,naked gun) were behind it,it's one of those movies I think would be more or less impossible for anyone to sit through and keep a straight face!

-

I really enjoyed it and you knew if one sketch left you scratching your head you could more or less guarantee the next would have you in hysterics!

John Landis seemed to really have the knack for handling comedies back in those early days - animal house,trading places etc

https://youtu.be/tgSXKM9WcxY - Kentucky fried movie (1977) trailer.

8/10.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Kentucky needs a rewatch!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

"A NASA Mars mission won't work, and its funding is endangered, so they decide to fake it just this once. But then they have to keep the secret..." (IMDb)

Capricorn One (1978) is a very good conspiracy thriller written and directed by Peter Hyams.
Hyams got the idea while working on broadcasts of the Apollo missions for CBS. It´s surprising that NASA co-operated because they are the bad guys here.

I like the cast. Especially Elliott Gould, who plays a journalist, is great. It was also nice to see Brenda Vaccaro and Karen Black.
Many cool shots and scenes in this one and check out also the wicked runaway car sequence and the plane - helicopter chase near the end.
Late stuntman Frank Tallman said that this was the most dangerous film he'd ever flown for.

I have few minor complaints here and there plus i didn´t like Telly Savalas´ and David Doyle´s humorous roles.
Anyways, this is recommended watching.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Kentucky Fried Movie is hilarious, and Capricorn One is a lot of fun if you overlook the gaping plot holes. Back in the day, Peter Hyams was a reliable, professional director who made interesting films like this one, Star Chamber, and Outland. I liked Telly Savalas, who manages to make the line "Keep your [expletive] head down" funny.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I've never seen either - Capricorn one or - outland before,I've seen - the star chamber and I think it's pretty ace,Michael Douglas was great in it.

Yeah I feel the same that hyams has always been a pretty solid director,even some of his titles that haven't been so well received like - the presidio,end of days,narrow margin etc. I've still found to be really entertaining!

Even his last screen outing with van damme - enemies closer where the muscles from Brussels plays the bad guy was probably van damme's best performance and probably his best outing for a couple of years,hyams definitely knows how to get the most out of his performers and his budget!

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hyams started out as a TV news photographer. I believe that he was the first--and only--major studio director who is also cinematographer on his films. He's had a checkered career. I think Outland is clearly his underrated masterpiece. I also like, to varying degrees, Capricorn One, Narrow Margin, Our Time, Star Chamber, Timecop, Sudden Death, The Presidio, and End of Days. He does have some stinkers in his filmography. A Sound of Thunder is dreadful, The Relic was just okay, Hanover Street was cornball, and Stayed Tuned, The Musketeer, and Beyond a Reasonable Doub are not so good. So in retrospect, he's had a pretty good career as a workmanlike director with more hits than misses Other than Outland, which really stands out as special, no really fantastic films but a lot of entertaining stuff.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's not forget 2010 (1984) and Running Scared (1986) !
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Running scared was really good fun,Hines and crystal made for a great buddy cop partnership and at the time I was hoping that they were going to make a sequel,2010 I've not watched since release and I'm sure I didn't dislike it,infact I couldn't have completely disliked it as the awesome roy scheider was in it!

Talking of the great roy scheider has anyone seen the - sorcerer from 1977 which is directed by William friedkin,been wanting to watch that for quite sometime now.

I'm still waiting on the roy scheider movie - the seven ups to come through on my online rental service,I've had it listed as a high priority rental for ages now but its never been sent,I'm starting to think it would be best to blind buy some of these releases otherwise I don't think I'm going to see them in much of a hurry.

I like the sound of - busting with Elliot Gould and Robert blake that looks like pretty good fun,i wonder if it is anything like - freebie and the bean? - as that rocked!

[ 25. January 2016, 14:52: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
Talking of the great roy scheider has anyone seen the - sorcerer from 1977 which is directed by William friedkin,been wanting to watch that for quite sometime now.

I like Sorcerer a lot ! It's a very good, adventurous movie.. One of the essential blu-ray releases of 2014 !

I have this digibook version : www.youtube.com/watch?v=F64vFsuy_VI

No noteworthy extra's on the disc, but they did put some loving care into that packaging !

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I like Hyams and agree what warrior said about getting the most out of his performers and his budget.

I have 9 Peter Hyams films at the moment including Busting which i need to check out asap. I loved Freebie and the Bean, it totally rocked! Too bad it was only a tv recording on my old digibox.

Sorcerer is a masterpiece, a film you will never forget!

This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  ...  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home