iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 85)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  82  83  84  85  86  87  88  ...  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great news,have a feeling it would be pretty great with both Cushing and lee starring,I'll let you both know what I think of it.

I've got 2 rentals at the moment this and the bill Murray movie St. vincent ,not sure which one I will watch first but I'll probably watch them both at the weekend.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
St. Vincent is so good. Bill Murray is great in it.
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched Two-Lane Blacktop (1971) last night. 70s cinema at it´s best once again and a movie without a real plot.
These two car freaks just drive along Route 66 and only stop because they have to eat and sleep.
They meet few interesting characters and especially Warren Oates gives a fantastic performance as 1970 Pontiac driver G.T.O.
Now that i´ve seen genre classics like this one, Vanishing Point plus Electra Glide in Blue and love all of them, maybe it´s finally time to check out Easy Rider...

Posts: 7055 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, yes it is! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like two lane blacktop. Is it on DVD yet
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
St. Vincent is so good. Bill Murray is great in it.

st. vincent was rather good helen,had to look twice to see it was bill murray when he first shows up in the bar at the beginning,i think the last thing i watched him in that at the time was newly released was way back in 2001's - the royal tenenbaums.

his performance here reminds me of why i've always liked him as he's not only a very funny guy but also a really decent actor to go with it!

the young lad was pretty decent also and never annoying like some child actors can be and the boys mum as played by melissa mcCarthy i thought was excellent.

plays with your emotions quite a bit,funny one minute and sad the next (murray's character losing his wife) i'd say this is definitely one of the best comedy dramas of this year!

not watched - the hound of the baskervilles yet but will do so shortly.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TerdNthePoolGGB:
I like two lane blacktop. Is it on DVD yet

Yep, fully loaded special editions in the US (Criterion) as well as the UK (Eureka Masters Of Cinema series).
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
don't think i've ever seen two - lane black top before but i bet it's good!

warren oates who can forget him as the sarge in stripes https://youtu.be/Fjj4a3zB1ag .

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
 -

Watched Two-Lane Blacktop (1971) last night. 70s cinema at it´s best once again and a movie without a real plot.
These two car freaks just drive along Route 66 and only stop because they have to eat and sleep.
They meet few interesting characters and especially Warren Oates gives a fantastic performance as 1970 Pontiac driver G.T.O.
Now that i´ve seen genre classics like this one, Vanishing Point plus Electra Glide in Blue and love all of them, maybe it´s finally time to check out Easy Rider...

electra glide in blue is pretty great and the ending packs a real wallop!
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanx WARRIOR. I think I have Electra glide in blue. Ill check it out
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only have the bare bones finnish dvd.
Posts: 7055 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
plays with your emotions quite a bit,funny one minute and sad the next

Yeah, I think that was the thing I liked most about it [Smile]
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Terror At The Red Wolf Inn (1972) - So this is what happens when you fall for those scam 'you're a winner' letters. Taken to a holiday home with a family of cannibals  - Intentionally hilarious. The ending was brill.

The Great Gabbo (1929) - Strange drama/creepy ventriloquist guy and dummy/musical film. Odd but enjoyable.

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

1929! That's pushing silent film era.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
I watched the 1943 Batman. Quite a decent serial. I really enjoyed Lewis Wilson's take. I would put him as my third favourite Batman behind Keaton and West. Him and Robin (who wasn't so good) coming out through the grandfather clock never stopped being creepy haha. The racism was cringe tho.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Thought I'd put my comments from the Halloween thread in here as this poor thread has been so neglected lately!

The Lost Continent (1968) - I am like a little kid Christmas morning watching a Hammer for the first time. This was an odd one. Slow start but then descended into the madness of pirates, killer seaweed, giant crab like and tentacled things, a weird cult lol.

The House With Laughing Windows - I have no idea how I could of forgotten the amazing ending to this untypical Giallo. But I'm beyond happy that I did. Wow, was that evil  -

At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul (1964) - Such an outrageous, weird, messed up film dripping with atmosphere and menace. Some parts always take me aback thinking about what year it is from. Ooh, the pure evil of the Coffin Joe character and that wretched laugh!!

Blacula - So much more than a silly title.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really need to see Hammer's The Lost Continent again. I saw it once, many, many years ago during the 70s on the much beloved CBS Late Movie and really didn't like it, much like Moon Zero Two. I do appreciate Moon Zero Two a little more of late so maybe I'll revisit Continent.

You know my love of Pupi Avati's stuff. Windows is so creepy, chilling, and amazing, just a fantastic film. Director Joe Dante's website, Trailers from Hell, features directors commenting on the trailers of their favorite films. I liked that Eli Roth pick Windows, a great choice.

Coffin Joe! After reading about the crazy world of Brazilian Jose Mojica Morins in Phil Hardy's horror film encyclopedia 25 years again, I pretty much forgot about Marins since his films were never released in the U.S. Then a few years ago, they all made it to DVD, and I saw a couple on IFC here, including At Midnight... Wow! So nutty. I wasn't prepared. I remember watching one really late at night and falling asleep. I woke up in the middle of something completely bonkers. Trivia for you, Helen: The name "Coffin Joe" was a marketing gimmick when the films were finally subtitled in English and mastered for DVD. The original Portugese is translated more like "Joe of the Grave." I understand Marins doesn't really like "Coffin Joe," but it is a cool character name. And I have to say, what makes Marins' films creepy for me is how outrageously arrogant Marins comes off. It's not like he's playing the part of Coffin Joe. I'm worried that he IS Coffin Joe. ROFL

Ahhhh, Blacula, a beautiful example of prime AIP style: a technically good-looking film, nicely directed and acted, and both scary and funny, good entertainment. They just don't make 'em like that any more. The folks putting out all the direct-to-DVD dreck today should take lessons from the AIP model.

[ 29. October 2015, 06:44: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
[Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
And I have to say, what makes Marins' films creepy for me is how outrageously arrogant Marins comes off. It's not like he's playing the part of Coffin Joe. I'm worried that he IS Coffin Joe. ROFL

Oh my God, this is exactly how I feel but I didn't like to say  -
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marins is obviously crazy. Just look at the way he got actresses to do horrible things like have snakes or spiders crawl all over them. And how he speaks directly to the camera in this arrogant, superior tone. And then how in his later films, he basically says that he's better than God. Lunatic. LOL
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Oh my, that's made me remember his film End of Man where he's walking around performing miracles as tho he were Jesus. Fruitcake for sure haha!
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse (1967) - A good sequel to At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul. Although the repetitive rants in the first half could be a bit irritating. The Hell scene was totally weird and wonderful. And you gotta love his courage test!

Scream Blacula Scream - Not as good as the first but still good fun. I want one of those Blacula voodoo dolls!

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
ROFL. Yeah, I've seen "At Midnight..." and "This Night..." They really are crazy films. Although a living legend and boogeyman to children in Brazil, Marins is a cult unto himself--and acquired taste--everywhere else.

I saw Scream Blacula Scream at the drive-in festival a couple of years ago. They showed an MGM-remastered print, and it looked just wonderful. I'll give you that it's not quite as good as Blacula, but those dolls--and Pam Grier-- are great.

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
This third film was made 40 years after the second. Has there ever been a bigger gap than that between sequels, incredible!!

Embodiment Of Evil - I liked this more than I did first time around. It's not a patch on the first 2 films (At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul, This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse) and some parts are a bit too vile for vile sake. But otherwise it is quite a fun end to the trilogy with Coffin Joe still as nutty as ever!

Psycho (1960) - On the big screen with live orchestra. Wow!!

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Awakening Of The Beast was considered to be some sort of third entry.
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Nah. It has that character in it. But it's nothing whatsoever to do with the trilogy. Plus it's crap [Razz]
  This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  82  83  84  85  86  87  88  ...  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home