iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 83)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  ...  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a cool event, Helen.

Watched Escape from Alcatraz (1979) which i´ve always liked very much.
Interesting (based on a true story) screenplay and cool cast create interesting characters you care about.
Director Don Siegel and Clint Eastwood had many arguments during the production so this was their last collaboration.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
I'm going to see Psycho with a live orchestra in October. Too excited! [Big Grin]

that sounds like a lot of fun helen as long as the conductor isn't norman bates [Eek!]

escape from alcatraz is a really great movie,i'm sure i had the dvd for it somewhere but can't find it at all, i'll have to pick it up on blu ray when i get chance as it's pretty cheap now,it's part of a 2 blu rays for 10 uk pounds deal at amazon.

[ 28. June 2015, 12:23: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone think that The Shawshank Redemption majorly ripped of Escape Form Alcatraz? I mean there are just too many similarities to ignore.

Escape From Alcatraz is awesome!

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Apartment (1960) with Jack Lemmon and Shirley Maclaine.

I cannot fault this movie - I need to reassess my top 10 after watching it.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Apartment is a classic! Billy Wilder was a genius. His movies are dark, cynical, and hilarious.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched a bunch of great Christopher Lee flicks since his passing.

The Creeping Flesh

-

The Two Faces Of Dr. Jekyll (1960)

-

The House That Dripped Blood

-

The Oblong Box (1969)

-

Scream Of Fear (1961)

-

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hills Have Eyes (1977). I had only ever seen the remake but bought this one for like 7 bucks. I thought it was pretty decent. This is how film making should be; on a budget and gritty. Thumbs up for me.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Original The Hills Have Eyes is a very good Wes Craven film.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, pretty good. I did not realise it was that old. I thought it was 86 or something for some reason and couldn't believe it when I found out it was 77.

One good thing about remakes is that it helps to bring awareness to the original for those who previously didn't know it existed. When I saw the remake I did not know that it was a remake at the time.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched three Eastwood films Bronco Billy (1980), Any Which Way You Can (1980) and Firefox (1982).

This was not the best era for Clint although Firefox did pretty well because audience liked to see him back in an action film.
The first two were pretty lame efforts. The cold war thriller Firefox is a bit too slow and long but it has few nice sequences.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firefox even though it's a bit long winded at times is my favourite of the three,all three have there merits though as I can't say I dislike any of the three mentioned.

I'm trying to think what come next with out looking at imdb,I know tightrope was 84,sudden impact I'm sure was 83 and not sure what year honkytonk man was but that was in and around then!

Atomik did you know There are a couple of alternate running times for Firefox,not sure if it's the US or European version but I know one runs for about 15 minutes or so longer.

So if it was the shorter version of it you watched and you thought to yourself boy did that drag don't bother with the extended cut [Big Grin]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Haha yeah, i´m not going to get that version. Honkytonk Man is next, also 1982.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chain Gang Women - Odd title as this is about chain gang men. I loved all the daft songs.
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
Chain Gang Women - Odd title as this is about chain gang men. I loved all the daft songs.

You sure they weren't women helen and that they just looked like men!

[ 08. August 2015, 14:04: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Haha! [Smile]
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Blood of the vampire (1958) I was a bit meh on this one first time around but I enjoyed it so much more last night.
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I haven't seen Blood of the Vampire in a while, but I don't particularly like it. It's sort of a dull, poor man's Hammer film with a hammy Donald Wolfit.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
That's what I thought first time but I just enjoyed the whole story this time around.

I've just watched Pick-Up (1975) and, ermm, the hell was that!?!

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
I just watched The Man In The Mirror (1936) It was pretty funny [Big Grin]
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

San Babila Ore 20 : Un Delitto Inutile (1976)

,..Violence, terror, and crime are amongst the main subjects in the oevre of Carlo Lizzani.
In the most diverse genres, the masterful director explored the depths of Italian society
without ever shying away from hot topics. Based on true events, Lizzani paints with San Babila Ore 20
a merciless portrait of the political unrest that ruled Italy during the seventies. The result is a film
which to this day hasn't lost a bit of intensity : Great, challenging, and sophisticated cinema that is both
moving and shocking at the same time..'

Here's everything you need to know about this superb release from the great, German Camera Obscura label :

www.10kbullets.com/reviews/s/san-babila-ore-20-un-delitto-inutile-camera-obscura-bluray/

Check out the trailer : www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgwdrgUoNX8

On a side note : Director Carlo Lizzani committed suicide in 2013, when he jumped off the balcony
of his appartment building in Rome.. at the age of 91 !

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots recently:

Two from Woody Allen, Bananas and Love and Death

Irma La Douce with Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine again on sparkling form

The Cockleshell Heroes, a brilliant 1950s movie set in Wartime Europe

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by P_a_u_l:
Lots recently:

Two from Woody Allen, Bananas and Love and Death

Irma La Douce with Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine again on sparkling form

The Cockleshell Heroes, a brilliant 1950s movie set in Wartime Europe

-

i need to check out - the cockleshell heroes,i'm not sure but i think i might actually have seen it way way back,heard many good things about it i'll keep a look out for it!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

watched the 1979 world war 2 romance - hanover street the other night for the very first time,directed by peter hyams (timecop) and starring harrison ford,lesley-anne down,christopher plummer and a young patsy kensit (11 yrs old at the time) this was pretty routine but fairly enjoyable stuff.

it was like a film of two halves with the slightly drawn out love story aspect of the movie taking up the first hour or so and then you have the much more lively final 40 minutes where ford and christopher plummer are on a mission in nazi occupied france.

very well shot and with decent performances from all involved and a great music score from john barry this was none to bad overall and i'd definitely recommend a watch!

https://youtu.be/bHbJiUx5ia0 - hanover street trailer.

https://youtu.be/D_2pnO8UdkQ - original music score by john barry.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Interesting film this one, i´ve been wondering if i should get it. Sounds good enough.
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
The Andromeda Strain (1971) Not as good as I thought it might be. You can tell the movie was supposed to be some type of thriller with a big scare factor but you just didn't feel it.
  This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  ...  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home