iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 76)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  ...  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
Talking about Vincent Price, Shout! Factory has announced they will release a Vincent Price blu-ray collection box
on october 22nd, almost exactly twenty years after he passed away.
The box will include Fall Of The House Of Usher, The Haunted Palace, Masque Of The Red Death, Witchfinder General,
The Pit And The Pendulum, and The Abominable Dr. Phibes.

Nice set! I haven't seen The Haunted Palace but love all the others, especially Pit [Smile]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I do wonder why Dr. Phibes Rises Again wasn't included in this box set..

I haven't seen The Haunted Palace either, but i think my personal favorite has to be Masque Of The Red Death.

Reportedly, the set will include both Witchfinder General as well as its alternate version The Conqueror Worm.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:

I do wonder why Dr. Phibes Rises Again wasn't included in this box set..

Cos it's crappy [Razz]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a movie, but i just received this today :

-

Canned Heat - Live At Montreux 1973

Pretty cool, heavy blues performance from the Montreux Jazz Festival ! [Cool]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
Cos it's crappy [Razz]

You're ruthless ! [Big Grin]
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
[Big Grin]
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Just when i thought i'd seen it all, comes along :

-

The Other Side Of The Underneath (1972)

I wasn't familiar with UK filmmaking duo Jane Arden and Jack Bond, but this certainly made an impression !

Often compared to the early works of Fernando Arrabal and Alejandro Jodorowsky, this is chock-full of
shocking, provocative, and surreal imagery. Not much of a linear storyline, but more performance-art
caught on film, this is certainly not for everyone's taste. Only for those who like El Topo, The Holy Mountain,
Viva La Muerte, I Will Walk Like A Crazy Horse, and who are willing to venture into the darkest corners
of experimental filmmaking !

The British Film Institute released two more Arden / Bond dvd's and blu-rays : Separation (1968) and Anti-Clock (1980).

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Ooh, I like dark corners [Razz]
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Yesterday i watched this on the MGM Movie Channel :

-

Harry In Your Pocket (1973)

Kinda middle-of-the-road, and doesn't really know what kind of movie it wants to be.
(maybe deliberately.. who knows)

Nevertheless good performances all round, and great 70's atmosphere.

Worth a look !

[ 28. January 2015, 11:49: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Watched a nice antichrist flick last night Holocaust 2000. A really slow burn in a good way.

-

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
El Topo [Big Grin]

-

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Way to go, Helen !  -
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Whole bunch of titles from the British Film Institute were on sale here, so i got myself these :

- Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush (1967)

- Herostratus (1967)

- Privilege (1967) .. Trailer : www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_dZEky0KAw

- Deep End (1970) .. Trailer : www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3qpEzHmZAA

- The Valley (Obscured By Clouds) (1972) .. Trailer : www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSqMGwnRsho

All are blu-ray / dvd combo-packs. Pretty cool stuff !

Helen, have you seen any of these ?

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
I haven't seen any of those Johnny, Let us know what they are like. Herostratus sounds really disturbing. I liked the look of the trailers, especially Privilege. [Smile]
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Omen 1 and 2 [Big Grin]
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Wars, of course [Smile]
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Joe Kidd (1972) last night.
Right now i´m reading the Marc Eliot book "American Rebel - The Life of Clint Eastwood" and watching every Clint film i can get.
This was 11th Eastwood film i´ve watched during the last month or so and while it´s one of his lesser-known features, it´s still pretty good western.

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Joe Kidd atomik is about the only Eastwood movie I've yet to see,tell a lie I've not seen white hunter black heart,I've caught the end of Joe Kidd on terrestrial television before but never watched it all the way though.

I just looked on IMDb it says he directed(uncredited appearance as well) a film in 73 called breezy starring Kay lenz,that's one I've never come across before.

I know it's not 70s but I purchased tightrope on blu ray the other month,I'd say that's an underatted Eastwood flick.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tightrope is a very cool film. Never seen Breezy but i bought the dvd and will check it out after i´ve rewatched High Plains Drifter.
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
The Bridge At Remagen (1969)
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Too bad that we lost the disaster films thread during the Spam Wars.
Anyway, i watched two classic disaster films produced by Irwin Allen; The Poseidon Adventure (1972) and The Towering Inferno (1974). I loved them both.
I remember seeing The Towering Inferno as a kid but that was ages ago. The f/x still looks amazing and it´s damn exciting stuff from the beginning to end.
They both have a fantastic cast and i enjoyed watching the documentaries from both films. Highly recommended!

-  -

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Never in my days did I think I'd see this marvelous thread again [Smile] Hope you are all doing well [Smile]
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Helen is alive.. she's ALIVE ! [Big Grin]

-

[ 30. January 2015, 08:08: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Haha [Big Grin] Missed you Johnny!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

i watched the ultimate directors cut of the warriors (1979) which adds nothing new to the awesome theatrical edition except some comic
book inserts and a voice over from director walter hill.

-

i always loved the theatrical version intro where it cuts straight to the wonder wheel all lit up at night and then the music score kicks in, much prefered it to the tv version where the warriors meet up on the boardwalk pre credits

-

and much prefer it to this ultimate dirctors cut with the comic book intro (below)- http://youtu.be/DqmAHGPRaYU

-

as much as the comic book voice over intro adds nothing new i think the most annoying and jarring insert comes when the warriors come up out of the subway and are face to face with the baseball furies,it cuts straight from the action in such a way as to kill what was originally one of the most tense scenes in the movie dead.

i purchased this new ultimate director's cut of the warriors on blu ray knowing what i was getting and the picture and sound quality are a big step up (especially the pq) but i must admit i am so pleased i've kept my much superior theatrical dvd version to sit on the shelf along side it.

great to have you back helen!

[ 30. January 2015, 13:50: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  ...  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home