iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 73)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  ...  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The great Don't Torture A duckling and Wait Until Dark (1967)
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty
Rewinder
Member # 8315

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Marty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first Halloween from the great year 1978 :-)

Vault of Horror seems great. I really wanna watch that one

Posts: 43 | Registered: Oct 2009 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't Torture A Duckling !!
 -

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not the biggest fan in the world of Fulci's zombie/splatter stuff, but I am a huge fan of his earlier giallo stuff. After "A Lizard in a Woman's Skin," "Don't Torture a Duckling" is my favorite. Everything about it works--the look of the film, the pacing, the very interesting plot... And Florinda Bolkan, who never seems to get the credit she deserves, is excellent, as always.

I've always liked "Wait Until Dark" too. Sure it's a little dated and a product of its time. Phonebooths anyone? LOL Also, the added exterior scenes that attempt to "open up" the stagebound nature of the production are unnecessary, but Hepburn and Arkin are just great. Exceptionally fine performances. And, of course, it has that crackerjack big scare at the end. Good stuff.

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol Johnny [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
The first Halloween from the great year 1978 :-)

Vault of Horror seems great. I really wanna watch that one

Yes, do [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
I am not the biggest fan in the world of Fulci's zombie/splatter stuff, but I am a huge fan of his earlier giallo stuff. After "A Lizard in a Woman's Skin," "Don't Torture a Duckling" is my favorite. Everything about it works--the look of the film, the pacing, the very interesting plot... And Florinda Bolkan, who never seems to get the credit she deserves, is excellent, as always.

Same. But Duckling and The Psychic are my faves! That scene with Florinda  -
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
harry2
Master Rewinder
Member # 7645

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for harry2   Email harry2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched Shaft, Richard Roundtree as the coolest dude. Possibly the greatest blaxploitation film of all time with Isaac Hayes Oscar winning score.

Followed by the Samuel L Jackson dud of a remake.

Good news for seventies fans. Perfect Friday with Stanley Baker and Ursula Andress out on DVD in May. [Razz]

Posts: 136 | From: The Royal County | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Horror Express [Big Grin]

-

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I faltered yet again...watched Jess Franco's "Female Vampire" with Lina Romay, a film allegedly one of his better efforts. And once again, I should've known better. It's just dreadful.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that is a cool poster for the horror express there. reminds me of the salem's lot one.
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crash, i prefer the title Erotikill or the BBC one [Smile]
Never seen it though.

It was released on VHS here back in the day
and even though it was cut, the tape cost a fortune during the 90s-early 00s.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
quote:
Yeah, I faltered yet again...watched Jess Franco's "Female Vampire" with Lina Romay, a film allegedly one of his better efforts. And once again, I should've known better. It's just dreadful.

-
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Female Vampire/Erotikill opens promisingly as Lina Romay, wearing nothing but a black cape, black boots, and a big black belt, walks enticingly out of mist in the forest. She walks slowly. She walks. Franco zooms in on her crotch. I thought, "Hmmmm...OK, perhaps not a bad scene transition." But then, of course, it wasn't a scene transition at all, as he zooms out as she continues walking...right into the camera. She hits the camera as she heads past it offscreen, and it jiggles. At this point, I knew instantly that it was going to be yet another 90 minutes or so of my life that I wasn't going to get back. [Smile]

I couldn't make this up. [Smile]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
LOL!
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
quote:
I'm lucky that I'm "old." I actually got to experience the 70's and 80's firsthand from the back of scary urban grindhouses and crummy drive-ins. I'd never trade those experiences for anything. If I had a time machine, we'd go back in time to 1980 to see the triple feature of "Bloodsucking Freaks," "Invasion of the Blood Farmers," and "Savage Man, Savage Beast" at the Budco Goldman, Philadelphia's best, or worst depending on your perspective, grindhouse. It was a place so vile, I knew where the only three seats were where you wouldn't be overcome with the smell of urine and body odor. Priceless memories. [Smile]

Crash, i don't know if you're familiar with it.. but Bill Landis' book Sleazoid Express features a
very lively description of the New-York grindhouse scene in the 70's and (early) 80's.
Not only the movies, but also the theaters, the people, the junks, the dope, everything is in there !

If you don't already have it, you should definitely keep your eye out for a copy.
I just know you will love it ! [Smile]

Hey, I somehow missed your post JRiR. I have a copy of Landis's book Sleazoid Express. It is exceptional. I was an early subscriber to the actual Sleazoid Express newsletter (I still have copies around somewhere), which was a photocopied fanzine of reviews and ramblings. Even though Landis discussed some of the seediest things imaginable, he was a wonderful writer. His descriptions of urban grindhouses are priceless, and I can certainly relate. A lot of folks don't know that he was actually a 42nd Street projectionist at a lot of the theatres he wrote about. Sadly, he passed away a few years ago...a great loss to those of us who love exploitation films, especially those from the 70s.
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
I just knew it was right up your alley. [Smile]

Apparently, Bill was also an actor in x-rated flicks. The Imdb lists 34 titles from the period '82 - '89
to his credit, mostly under the alias Bobby Spector.

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this all sounds like great stuff, i have never seen any of these movies, but the titles sound great, invasion of the blood farmers for example, its too bad there isnt a tv channel that shows grindhouse movies, you could call it the grindhouse chanel, have somebody host the show like joe bob briggs, give us a bit of history about the featured film, like i have seen done on turner classic movies.

maybe we should start a petition for such a channel, as well as a horror channel, one that is done better than chiller, no commercials, no editing, showcasing the works of the 50's through the 80's, obscure and mainstream, alot of this stuff hardly gets any exposure, i never heard any of it, until i read about it here

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
That's a sensational idea that I have thought about myself. Canada used to have the Drive-In channel which showed exactly the stuff that we want: horror films, biker pics, the Corman nurse films, etc., but, alas, I believe that it is no more. A smaller-scale substitute for those of us in the U.S. is the Drive-In channel app on the Roku streaming box. While the downside is that they show a lot of commercials, I have seen some amazing stuff on there, like the 70s Abby, the blaxploitation exorcist film that was pulled by AIP becuase of a copyright violation complaint by Warner Brothers, and Jess Franco's depressingly sleazy Women in Cell Block 9. You never see stuff like that anywhere.

By the way, "Blood Farmers" was made by the same people who did "Shriek of the Mutilated." Both are hilariously cheap, seedy upstate New York regional wonders--very entertaining!

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
Hey crash! thanks man. i wonder if enough people demanded it, that the idea would come to be?
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I also note that the video-on-demand services on some U.S. cable systems have the Sinister Cinema Collection, which is legendary--really trashy grindhouse stuff.
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
Sinister Cinema, man thats great
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, when people say that the shark in Jaws looks fake, it gets me to wonder whether people think back to the original Jaws or they think of one of the inferior sequels. Not only do I think for 1975 that the shark had a realistic look but I think even to today's standards the shark looks remarkably good. OK, I can admit that it does seem slightly dodgy when the shark is wrangling at the end of the boat but I still think the sharks looks pretty damn good. Honestly. Yes, the sequels did not even make an effort to look realistic, especially 3 (still image moving towards the glass that breaks that does not even appear that the shark makes contact with it. Pathetic! What were they thinking? Seriously?) and The Revenge but the original done a bang up job in my opinion. And if the 'shark looked so fake' would the movie been as successful as it was? I don't think so! I really believe that when you talk to people and they say the shark looked fake, they are not even thinking about the original Jaws movie. They are thinking of one of the scummy sequels. In my opinion, Jaws is an absolute masterpiece of the cinema and I think that all the sequels are absolute garbage.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rare Gorgon film called Tower of Evil
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the difference? As long as we get across the river!
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol. My family and I were at the Saint Louis Arch a couple weeks ago and one thing I could.not help but think about was that line and looking at the hi way to see its route coming across the river.
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  ...  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home