iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 61)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  ...  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
Skatexedge,

that's a really great upload you did on Youtube !

I've seen Xanadu and i have Rooler Boogie on dvd myself, but Skatetown USA is by far the most obscure
of the three.

Thanks. I dont know what the deal is with Skatetown USA....never on vhs, beta, or dvd. Even after Patrick Swayze became a big star. Go figure......
Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Pumping Iron (1977) yesterday.

It was a very good documentary about the world of bodybuilding, focusing on the 1975 IFBB Mr. Universe and Mr. Olympia competitions.
Schwarzenegger was cool, wild and crazy. Always getting what he wants. Ferrigno, Columbu and co. never had a chance.
Highly recommended!

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would also wear the t shirt

arnold is numero uno

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou "The Incredible Hulk" Ferrigno is pretty cool too, but Arnie is the man.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His arm does look a bit inflatable on that cover though. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but I don't think he was doing a Gregg Valentino.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those interested in buying Polanski's Chinatown (1974) on blu-ray.

Paramount Pictures released the blu-ray version of Chinatown on april 3rd for US territories,
here in Holland it was released yesterday (april 18th), and it will be released in the UK on may 28th.

I didn't have Chinatown on dvd, and after reading the review at Blu-ray.com, it looked as a
must-buy disc to me.
Review : www.blu-ray.com/movies/Chinatown-Blu-ray/6098/#Review
I assumed Paramount would release the same disc in all territories, since the US disc is region-free
and release dates are all set for april or may.
So i've just received my copy of this marvelous, extremely atmospheric and incredibly well-acted
masterpiece of modern cinema in the mail today.. BUT.. where the hell are my bonus-features ??!!

Apparently Paramount didn't think European audiences were interested in the commentary,
the feature-length documentary, the 4 additional featurettes, or even the trailer !
Instead they found it necessary to prepare a different disc for us Europeans with exactly
not a single second of bonus-features. This disc is as bare-bones as they come.

The disc as it's released here also carries UK classification logo's, so the upcoming UK release
will be this same disc devoid of all additional materials.
So, my UK friends, beware of this hoax by the people at Paramount, and when interested in purchasing
Chinatown on blu-ray, please pick up the region-free disc as released in the US !

Damn, i always get so angry when they pull off a stunt like that ! [Mad]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That really is irritating. I hate it when companies don't care or underestimate the intelligence of movie fans. For the converse of your "Chinatown" experience, a Canadian friend of mine had to pick up the Canadian DVD of David Cronenberg's "eXistenZ" for me because the U.S. DVD didn't have the commentary by Cronenberg. (And I am a Yank who can speak Canadian too, eh!)
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just watched the quartermass expierement and the hunting party

quartermass got my attention, i remember john carpenter using the name as a alias for a writing credit, that and it was listed as a hammer film. i liked it but it felt a bit slow

the hunting party i thought was a good western, liked the change up from the regular hero cliche story, oliver reed, candice bergen and hackman were all good in it, i thought the story could have been improved some

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It Happened One Night (1934)

Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert offer up the most wonderful road movie, which deservedly became the first to scoop all of the Big Five at the Academy Awards (Movie, Actor, Actress, Director and Screenplay) and also deservedly gets a solid 10/10 for me.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Incident (1967). Ed McMahon, Diana Van De Vlis, Victor Arnold, Donna Mills, Jack Gilford, Thelma Ritter, Beau Bridges, Robert Bannard, Mike Kellin, Jan Sterling, Robert Fields, Gary Merrill, Brock Peters, Ruby Dee, Tony Musante and Martin Sheen. A pair of drunk felons terrify passengers on an underground train in New York City at night.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched a very suspenseful Hammer thriller, Cash on Demand (1962) Peter Cushing plays a bank manager who has his wife and kid held for ransom. Peter is always marvelous but this has gotta be up there with his very best performances. I was stressed the hell out watching this [Big Grin]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last Cannibal World (1977)

Back to the vicious and wicked jungle.
This was the first movie in the Ruggero Deodato cannibal trilogy.
Excellent but highly, highly disturbing film.
Massimo Foschi, Me Me Lai and Ivan Rassimov are simply awesome.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
harry2
Master Rewinder
Member # 7645

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for harry2   Email harry2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched my blaxploitation box set
The Big Payback
TNT Jackson - picture quality - awful - Filmed in Phillipines - 3/10
The Black Six - Six black bikers avenge the death of a younger brother - 5/10
The Black Godfather - Local black gangsters get fed up with paying the mafia 4/10
The Black Gestapo - Militants start their own Nazi-lite army to cleanse the streets 4/10
Black Fist - cliched street fighting film 5/10
Get Christie Love - female undercover cop , taken from an early seventies US TV series. Good story, but very little action. 6/10.

Liberal use of the n word, cliched gangsters, violence, drug use and naked women.

Having thoroughly enjoyed watching films like Shaft, Across 109th Street and Superfly was very disappointed. The picture quality on the DVD's is like a third rate transfer from an old VHS tape. The stories are fine, but the acting and continuity are poor and disjointed. There's even a white double standing in for Jeanne Ball in TNT Jackson. The Black Six uses professional football players who can't act for toffee and the sound is dire.

For fans of the genre only.

Ps Watched another similar film again Truck Turner starring the late Isaac Hayes as a bail bondsman. Much better 7 1/2 /10.

Posts: 136 | From: The Royal County | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Truck Turner is a classic.
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truck Turner is my favorite--even over Shaft--blaxploitation film. (Across 110th Street is a very close second.) It has everything: Isaac Hayes with a huge firearm, Nichelle Nichols from Star Trek playing a madam, Yaphet Kotto as the bad guy, D i c k Miller in a cheap plaid blazer, hilarious gutter-trash dialogue, and a great soundtrack.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
 -

Watched another 70s Paul Verhoeven masterpiece yesterday.
Soldier of Orange (1977), what a fantastic war epic!
I loved the cast: Rutger Hauer is once again amazing, his fellow students Jeroen Grabbe, Derek de Lint, Huib Rooymans,
Dolf de Vries and Lex van Delden were also great.
And let´s not forget the lovely ladies Susan Penhaligon and Belinda Meuldijk.

This was the most-expensive Dutch film made at the time (2,5 million $).
I´m gonna check out the one hour documentary next.

May 5th is our national liberation day here in Holland. Soldaat van Oranje is on tv again,
same as every year.
But this year it's followed by Soldaat van Oranje, the musical !
(don't ask too many questions about that) [Big Grin]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Oh, that´s cool Johnny!
Our independence Day is 6 December and Tuntematon Sotilas (The Unknown Soldier, 1955) is on tv every year.

the Unknown Soldier IMDb

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
aTomiK,

to be honest, i had never heard of that movie before, but it had some great reviews on IMDb.
A quick look at Amazon showed that it's only available on a Finnish dvd though.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Hey i don´t blame ya Johnny [Cool]
Finnish flicks are pretty obscure stuff for others but it´s a very important movie for us finns.

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stop Me Before I Kill! (1960)

-

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
The Maltese Falcon (1941).

I dunno what the go is with these old movies that are supposed to be some of the finest movies ever made.

I watched this today and didn't see the rave about it. Perhaps it was good at the time and if I watched it 70 years ago I might have thought it was good too but watching it now I really do not see how this movie is supposed to be one of the best films ever made.

Same goes for movies like Citizen Kane. While The Maltese Falcon was not actually that bad I thought Citizen Kane was absolute rubbish.

OK film critics/defendants. I am preparing myself for a character assassination.

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
The Longest Yard (1974)

Fun actioner starring Burt Reynolds, Eddie Albert, the always reliable Ed Lauter,
James Hampton (Michael J Fox's dad in Teen Wolf), exploitation goddess Anitra Ford (The Big Bird Cage,
Invasion of the Bee Girls, Messiah of Evil), and lots of familiar bad guy faces among the inmates
including Richard Kiel.

In the opening scenes Anitra Ford gets slapped around by Burt.. hard ! (i hope it was a stunt double)

Burt.. i love you, man. But slapping Anitra just ain't cool and makes me mad. Are we crystal ?! [Big Grin]

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Yes, I know it was a tv series, but there was a theatrical release of the pilot episode (which did contain pilots!) called Saga Of A Star World.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I saw the theatrical release of the pilot back in the day. The big screen made the special effects look absolutely terrible.
  This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  ...  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home