iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 54)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  ...  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i recently seen burnt offerings and witchfinder general. i really liked witchfinder
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. Witchfinder is a masterpiece. The story has modern relevance. Vincent Price gave one of his best performances, and the cinematography is beautiful.

[ 12. November 2011, 11:47: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Witchfinder is my Dad's fave horror hehe [Smile] I love it too and Burnt Offerings.
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i watched black sabbath the other night, loved the first segment, the second one was stale, and the third was all right. i really liked the visuals and that first segment really got me good, made me laugh because i didnt expect to get that spooked.
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stale?

Stale? [Eek!]

-

[Razz]

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
yeah after that first one, i felt like it really dropped off, actually i couldnt figure out what was going on with that one, was the guy who kept calling, a ghost?
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GP, you saw the American version. The original Italian version of the story "The Telephone" is quite different. They cut out a lot for the American version. The stories are even ordered differently with "The Drop of Water" last! Apparently the folks at AIP thought that that story would have given people heart attacks coming out of the theatre if that were the last story, so they juggled the order.

I'm still very happy that you loved the look and got spooked by, in my opinion, some of the scariest 25 minutes ever put on film. Bava does so much with so little, people who direct modern horror films should watch it and take note. A banging window, a flickering light, a buzzing fly, a dripping faucet...a dead body on the bed in the next room. He was a genius!

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Ugh, I heard about the American version turning it into a ghost story.

I thought you were calling the Karloff story stale cos that's second on the Italian.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
The order in the U.S. was "The Drop of Water," "The Telephone, and "The Wurdalak." "The Telephone" was heavily altered by cuts, a reshoot scene, and altered dialogue in the dubbing to make it a ghost story. Until I bought the Image DVD, that was the only way I had ever seen the film. Wow, was I in for a suprise! The original version is so different, with even different Karloff linking scenes. "The Drop of Water" would have worked without dubbing or subtitles. It's forever scary without dialogue.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
I couldn't imagine it in the American order. That's so wrong haha. And why oh why did they turn it into a ghost story.
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
now i want to see the orginal version, i dont know why the american versions of just about everything cheat the consumer
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I know! The American version is either dubbed (no Aussie accents in "Mad Max"), completely re-edited ("Legend"), or messed with like "Black Sabbath." And don't even get me started on shot-for-shot American remakes of perfectly fine foreign films. [Smile]
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946). Lana Turner, John Garfield, Cecil Kellaway, Hume Cronyn, Leon Ames, Audrey Totter, Alan Reed and Jeff York. A young drifter along with a sexy blonde who are committing adultery find that murdering her husband who is the owner of a provincial restaurant creates more problems than it solves. Based on the novel by James M. Cain.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
harry2
Master Rewinder
Member # 7645

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for harry2   Email harry2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jaws 1975. Spielberg's classic, based on a Peter Benchley, about a great white shark, which terrorises a small coastal town. Roy Schneider play the local police chief, who wants to clear the beaches when a shark gets hungry. Thwarted by the Mayor, who doesn't want to harm the seasonal tourist trade, the shark kills again and again. Aided by an oceanographer, Richard Dreyfuss and a grizzled old sea dog, Robert Shaw they go out in pursuit of the shark. Great score by John Williams, and direction by Spielberg. Small thing that let's the thing down, but adds to the charm, is "Bruce", the mechanical shark, which was a nightmare to get to work with and can not compare to today's CGI and animatronics. I would give this 8 1/2 / 10.
Posts: 136 | From: The Royal County | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
i really jaws as well, schneider, dreyfuss and shaw do a great job in this.

i have been getting in to alot of schneider films lately, a great tough guy but not making a big deal about it, actor, especially like the neo noir stuff, like 52 pick up and the film sorcerer was great

Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zulu (1964). Stanley Baker, Jack Hawkins, Ulla Jacobson, James Booth, Nigel Green, Ivor Emmanuel, Patrick Magee, Paul Daneman, Neil McCarthy, David Kernan, Glynn Edwards and Michael Caine. Narrated by Richard Burton. In 1879 in South Africa, British troops take on numerically superior Zulus at Rorke's Drift.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
harry2
Master Rewinder
Member # 7645

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for harry2   Email harry2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got the remake of The Taking of Pelham 123 with Denzel Washington and John Travolta 2009, as hte original is one of my favourites. Tony Scott directs, but isn't a patch on the original. It was only £3, and whilst it isn't a disaster, would have to give it about 6 1/2 / 10.
Posts: 136 | From: The Royal County | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Wrecking Crew (1969).

-

The last of the Matt Helm movies starring Dean Martin as the secret agent / glamour photographer with a need for alcohol and an eye for bikini-clad ladies.

This one was a slightly less comfortable watch than the other three in the series (The Silencers, The Ambushers and Murderers Row) because it also starred the ill-fated Sharon Tate, who just a few months later was to fall victim to what is still viewed as one of the most horrific and shocking murders ever to hit Hollywood.

Overall, I certainly recommend the series to anyone who likes spy spoofs and the 60s vibe, and the movies are all fun, however when you get to the final installment, you'll probably have the same slightly uncomfortable feel that I did if you know what the future held for Sharon.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by harry2:
Got the remake of The Taking of Pelham 123 with Denzel Washington and John Travolta 2009, as hte original is one of my favourites. Tony Scott directs, but isn't a patch on the original. It was only £3, and whilst it isn't a disaster, would have to give it about 6 1/2 / 10.

Totally agree. The remake can't hold a candle to the orginal, also one of my favorites. Instead of being a character piece--with some humor--between Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw, it's a straight action piece with Travolta in another of his hammy villain roles. A friend of mine pointed out that the problem of late with Travolta's bad-guy peformances is that he always looks like he's acting. You never once get the feeling--in Pelham, for example--that he's a dangerous, scary criminal. You just look at his hairline (and waistline), and go, "Yup. It's John Travolta, having way too good of a time hamming it up as the villain." [Smile] And in this one you also have Denzel Washington falling back on his routine good-guy ticks and mannerisms. (Is it me, or has watching Jay Pharoah on "Saturday Night Live" do his spot-on Denzel impression just ruined it for me? "Okay...okay... (clapping).")

[ 22. November 2011, 07:55: Message edited by: Crash ]

harry2
Master Rewinder
Member # 7645

Member Rated:
The original Pelham is a classic with Matthau and Shaw as sparring partners who bounce the one and two liners off of each other. The world weary Matthau and cold as ice Shaw really compliment each other and have a chemistry that is missing in the(second) remake. It is alomost as if the remake was made with the two principals doing seperate parts and spliced together in the editors suite. There is zero empathy compared to the first film and never really reaches he breakneck pace of the first. It's like a two handed stage play throughout.

Gesundheit !!!!

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
hector elizando as joe welcome, was great as well, any movie that has elizando in it goes up few points on that fact alone

fuca is seal, in portugese

side fact, i tried to track down the shirt and tie combo matthau wore for my own wardrobe, i thought it looked great

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Island of Death (1977)  -
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Helen, did you check out the new Arrow release?
Never seen the movie but i would really like to get it because i collect Nico Mastorakis flicks.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
No, it was shown on the horror channel supposedly uncut. It was really weird and disgusting. I feel dirty after that lol
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds great [Big Grin]
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  ...  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home