iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 48)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  ...  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I've been looking for this one for a while. This is the crazy one with Klaus Kinski and Florinda Balkan that I read about in Video Watchdog. I'm going to have to look harder. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww, they don't have it there? It's on the amazon here. You need to get that region free player [Smile]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zach
Master Rewinder
Member # 9459

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Zach   Email Zach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just bought the Classic Ultimate Sci-Fi Collection from Universal, which contains 10 sci-fi/horror movies, mostly from the '50s but one '40s and one '60s movie thrown in. I watched the Land Unknown a few nights ago. It's one of my favorite "expedition to a land where dinosaurs are still alive" movies. This movie concerns a Naval journey to a Mesozoic Era land beneath sea level in a crater near Antarctica. The SFX are not that bad, considering the t-rex is an actor standing inside an oversized costume (at least 20-25 feet tall). It still does the trick well, though. The elasmosaurus is extremely impressive for 1950s standards (at least I thought so). Check it out for yourselves:

-

According to an interview with the movie's director (published in Fangoria #73, May 1988), Virgil W. Vogel, The Land Unknown was going to be a big-budget sci-fi movie from Universal. It was supposed to be filmed in color with an all-star cast and Cinemascope. Vogel recalled that Cary Grant's name was mentioned as a possibility. The SFX department went overbudget on building the elasmosaurus, so the color and the name stars had to go. Vogel, however, was able to convince the powers-that-be to let him keep the Cinemascope.

While Jock Mahoney may not be ideal leading man material, I thought he did fine as the rugged hero. It's Henry Brandon, though, who does the best job acting-wise as a member of a previous expedition who's been living in a cave and surviving on his own.

Posts: 122 | From: Beverly, MA | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched Two Minute Warning (1976)

"A psychotic sniper plans a massive killing spree in a Los Angeles football stadium
during a major championship game. The police, led by Captain Peter Holly (Charlton Heston)
and SWAT commander Sergeant Button (John Cassavetes), learn of the plot and rush to the scene.
Still, they may be too late, as an all-star cast finds itself lined up
in the sights of a gun-toting madman." (IMDb)

This was an entertaining thriller / disaster movie with a cool cast.
Builds up the tension nicely and after the two minute warning all hell breaks loose.
Our b-movie friend Andy Sidaris stars as "TV Director", and is essentially playing himself.
Check out also b-action star Robert Ginty in his first feature film role (about 5 seconds) as sports merchandise salesman.

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
slap shot

paul newman is really funny in this

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Village of the Damned (1960). George Sanders, Barbara Shelley, Michael Gwynne, Laurence Naismith, John Phillips and Richard Vernon. A British village which undergoes a blackout becomes the abode of eerie, affectless youngsters with powers who pose a sober threat to humanity. Based on the novel The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
harry2
Master Rewinder
Member # 7645

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for harry2   Email harry2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coinidence. Just got this and the sequel through the door in a double pack today. The Warriors directors cut.Walter Hill's classic. Thought it was earlier but was made in 1979. A group of gang members have to return to Coney Island whilst travelling through other gang's territories, whilst being mistakenly blamed for a murder.
Posts: 136 | From: The Royal County | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Worlds Collide (1951). Richard Derr, Barbara Rush, Peter Hanson, John Hoyt, Larry Keating, Judith Ames, Stephen Chase, Frank Cady, Hayden Rorke and Sandro Giglio. Survivorists race against time to build a spaceship to enable people to escape after it is discovered that a rogue planet is on a collision course with earth.
Based on the novel by Philip Gordon Wylie and Edwin Balmer.

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
House of a thousand dolls (1967) What a weird film, still deciding if I liked it or not  -

-

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yet another Harry Alan Towers film for you, that "House of a 1000 Dolls." It's the only time that I can recall Price ever worked for the shlockmeister. Peter Cushing never did!
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JAY LEE:
LAURA- 1944

-

I was way overdue in getting on this noir classic, and it did NOT dissapoint! A new favourite. Great performances, razor sharp dialogue, great noir vibe, great story. I would put it right up there with genre heavyweights like The Big Sleep and other such esteemed titles.

Dana Andrews is a forgotten star of the golden age, but that's a shame. The guy is cooler than a polarbear's nutsack, and a great actor. I love his comeback, when Cliffton Webb tauntingly ask "haven't you ever been in love?" to which Andrews replies "well, a dame from Washington Heights once got a fox fur outta me!" what a kickass 40's style comeback! Andrews rules! Gene Tierny is magnetic as the mysterious Laura, Vincent Price is great as the smarmy Fianceé, and Cliffton Webb is rude, crude and hilarious as Laura's old admirer.

If you like the genre (actually film noir is more a style than a genre) the you should most def check this out!

Because of the handsome JayLee's writeup, I watched this today........and it was great! I loved every minute of it. Jay you are right about every star in your description. It was crazy for me to see Vincent Price younger and not the horror man I remember. Gene Tierney was beautiful and alluring for sure, and yes Dana Andrews was "cooler then a polarbear's nutsack!" He calls women "dames" haha

I really loved watching this classic and the great Biography extras that were on the DVD. [Smile] Thanks Jay!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're welcome, Muffins.... glad you liked it [Smile]
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
harry2
Master Rewinder
Member # 7645

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for harry2   Email harry2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Straying into another forum, but just watched FX: Murder By Illusion. Bryan Brown and Bryan Dehnnehy star in a film about a special effects artist tricked into apparently murdering a gangster, and then effecting revenge after they kill his girlfirend.
Posts: 136 | From: The Royal County | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I liked the first F/X a bunch but didn't really find the sequel to be all that great.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
I like both but I think cos I seen the second first I have more of a fondness for that one. I love the clown [Razz]
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Freaky Friday (1976) yesterday.

It was a fun movie with a good cast.
Especially Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster rocked!
Haven´t seen the 2003 remake.

Harris smokes, Foster buys booze (when she´s in Harris´ body) and all those sex references...
I bet Disney wont do this kind of stuff anymore. (tell me if i´m wrong)
Gotta love the 70s!

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
It Came From Beneath the Sea (1955). Kenneth Tobey, Faith Domergue, Donald Curtis, Ian Keith, Dean Maddox, Jr., Chuck Griffiths, Harry Lauter and Richard W. Peterson. A gigantic octopus roused from the Pacific Ocean by a hydrogen bomb test wreaks havoc and frightens the California coast.
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
"It Came From Beneath the Sea"--a Ray Harryhausen movie where the producers could only afford five tentacles on that octopus. [Smile]
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 -
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I know. It sounds so stupid, but I think that it's true. The octopus only has five tentacles. Harryhausen later said that it was to make the stop-motion animation easier, kind of like how Mickey Mouse only hase four fingers on each hand.
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Little Romance (1979)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPI1IRjonRE

The trailer really doesn't do this movie justice.....it's funny and well written
.....the children almost have this adult quality to them yet,innocence all in one. I just love Diane Lane.

-

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not watched them yet but just ordered this:

-

I love the James coburn "Flint" movies, and these are right up there with the best of the early 60s Bond spoofs.

When they arrive, I'll let you know just how good they are.... [Smile]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Ghost Story (1974) Decent flick but not as good as I remembered

-

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Whistle Down the Wind (1961) Still fabulous [Smile]

-

amaranth
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8882

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for amaranth   Email amaranth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Stone Killer (1973) Another Charles Bronson film just love his stuff, once again hes a cop with a vendetta
Posts: 456 | From: Scotland uk | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  ...  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home