iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 40)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  ...  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll like it. The zombies are cool, and it's funny and entertaining--low rent, but well made little film. Someone called it the blaxploitation "Dr. Phibes." That's just about right. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, Phibes is so good. The sequel not so much.
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the original is a classic, and I like the sequel a lot too, though it's played even lighter. I wish they would have made the third one, "Brides of Dr. Phibles." [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by The Good Package:
seen bob clark's black christmas awhile back, liked it alot, as well as porkys and a christmas story, and it runs in the family aka my summer story

i wonder though if it was bob clark's doing or purely jean shepherd's or the combo, that made those movies really great.

I would have to say that based on "A Christmas Story," "Black Christmas," "Deathdream," and "Porky's" that, Bob Clark, while not a legendary director, was quite good, sometimes. I think that his best skill was doing movies set in different periods that really put you in the mood for the period. Everyone likes "A Christmas Story," and I think that "Black Christmas" is a masterpiece. Two great films in a director's long career is nothing to sneeze at--even if that career had absolute dreck like the Superbabies movies, "Loose Cannons," and "Karate Dog." The docu, by the way, is okay. The big problem is that it focuses too much on his dreck, simply because the filmmakers got Scott Baio and Jon Voight to say really nice things about Bob.

[ 08. April 2011, 12:35: Message edited by: Crash ]

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehehe good one
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i meant that about the black christmas joke logan told
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Delayed reaction!

RE: Bob Clarke; I think he was a good (not great) director. There's no doubt that Shepherd's 'warm' family material is what elevated 'A Christmas Story' to the all-time classic it now is. On another note; am I the only one who still recalls when nobody had heard of 'A Christmas Story'?

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
im a little slow, but i eventually get there
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Logan, I saw A Christmas Story on initial release in a theatre with about five other people and thought that it was great. It took many years for others to discover it.
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
not a finger!
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970). Eric Braeden, Susan Clark and Gordon Pinset. A U.S. supercomputer turns into a horrendous monster when put in contact with its Russian counterpart and runs amok, utilising its exceptional shrewdness to foil humans constantly. Based on the novel Colossus by Dennis Feltham Jones.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seance on a wet afternoon (1964) Such a great, depressing, messed up film.
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE STRANGE VICE OF MRS. WARDH- 1971

-

Solid giallo effort by Sergio Martino. Not really a slasherfest, more in the murder mystery vein, with a side of kink, and a nude Edwige Fenech. So you can't really go wrong there. Nice locations. good score by Nora Orlandi. Also starring George Hilton and euro-sleaze veteran, Ivan Rassimov.

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice poster, Jay. Interesting movie.
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
If.... (1968) Yawn

Invasion of the body snatchers (1956) Hooray [Smile]

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
Meatballs

Are you ready for the summer

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
If.... (1968) Yawn

I am still yet to watch the '56 version....beeen meaning too for a while.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
All the versions of Invasion of the Body Snatchers are strong--the '56 one is my favorite.

I haven't seen If... in many, many years, but I run hot and cold with director Lindsay Anderson. I really like O Lucky Man and This Sporting Life, absolutely despise Brittania Hospital, and don't remember a heckuva lot about If... .

I watched Meatballs again recently too, GP. It's kind of dated. (Do summer camps still exist?) But there is no denying that you can see how this movie made Bill Murray a star. He's hilarious in every scene--and I don't think that some of the stuff was all that funny on paper; Murray just makes it so. "It just doesn't matter... It just doesn't matter..." [Smile]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Destination Moon (1950) [Big Grin]

-

JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FORBIDDEN PHOTOS OF A LADY ABOVE SUSPICION- 1970

-

Classy, and well made, yet bloodless giallo, by Luciano Ercoli. This movie foregoes sleaze and violence for suspense and tension. Beautiful cinematography, rich color scheme, great sets, locations, and some good performances by the cast.
Great score by Morricone (duuuh). Feels a bit like a Colombo episode... without Colombo.

Well worth seeing. The Blue Underground version looks amazing.

STRIP NUDE FOR YOUR KILLER- 1975

-

If a movies opening scene is a gynecological exam, you can kinda guess that it's gonna be a somewhat sleazy affair. And this one sure delivers in the nudity department. Sadly, that is all it delivers. The muder plot, the acting, the directing and everything else, is rather uninspired. If not for several scenes of the lovely Edwige Fenech in her birthday suit, this one would have little to recommend.

DEATH WALKS AT MIDNIGHT- 1972

-

Decent, if somewhat poorly constructed, giallo by Luciano Ercoli. Starring his wife, Susan Scott. More of a mystery crime thriller than anything else, but that's ok. Has its share of great scenes, but too many slowspots. Medium fare.

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If.... (1968) Yawn
Helen! Stay awake! It's the 'great' Lindsay Anderson you're yawning at!

quote:
"They're here already!"

quote:
I watched Meatballs again recently too, GP. It's kind of dated. (Do summer camps still exist?) But there is no denying that you can see how this movie made Bill Murray a star. He's hilarious in every scene--and I don't think that some of the stuff was all that funny on paper; Murray just makes it so. "It just doesn't matter... It just doesn't matter..." [Smile]
Agreed. It created a template that ran through the summer camp movies of the 80's (even the bad ones!) I can overlook the dated-ness for Murray, the music (good soundtrack) and some nice supports. Let's face it, most 80's summer camp movies are dated now. I never went to a camp... but I always wanted to.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
yeah summer camp always looked fun in the movies, even friday the 13th movies at the begining of them anyway.
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Dirty Dozen (1967). Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine, Jim Brown, John Cassavetes, Robert Ryan, Charles Bronson, Donald Sutherland, George Kennedy, Telly Savalas, Ralph Meeker, Richard Jaeckel, Clint Walker, Trini Lopez and Robert Webber. A dozen murderers, rapists and other criminals who have been either sentenced to death or long terms of imprisonment with hard labour get a chance to redeem themselves on a suicide mission for the Allies during the Second World War. Based on the novel by E. M. Nathanson.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
harry2
Master Rewinder
Member # 7645

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for harry2   Email harry2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Majestyk 1974. Charles Bronson as a ex con and Vietnam veteran who runs a farm. After the local mafia destroy his crop, he flips and goes after them.

Also, the box set of The Persuaders. Curtis and Mooore having a laugh around Europe as a couple of playboy sleuths. Fantastic escapism.
On if.... , this is one of my favourite films ever, maybe you don't fully appreciate it unless you are from the UK. try it again, it grows on you.

[ 18. April 2011, 14:44: Message edited by: harry2 ]

Posts: 136 | From: The Royal County | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Yay Harry, where ya been? Welcome back [Smile]
  This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  ...  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home