iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 37)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I've tried a couple of his films and just, meh.
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you have to be a middleaged, jewish, neurotic new yorker, possibly with a hankering for young asians, to appreciate his films. And that kinda narrows down the potential audience.... [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh come on Jay, why don't you tell us how you really feel  -
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woody Allen is a genius. And Manhattan (whilst brilliant) isn't necessarily the best of his movies for an introduction to his work.

Try movies like Love And Death, or Sleeper, or even Annie Hall. Or (a more recent one) The Curse Of The Jade Scorpion. All of these give you a gentler, zanier, and above all less stylized introduction to Allen's work.

Only then will you be equipped to handle Zelig, that's for sure....

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
watched The Parent Trap (1961) with the adorable Hayley Mills who plays twins pulling the old switch-a-roo on their divorced parents. great family flick and hilarious! [Smile]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Isn't it? Cheesetastic [Smile]
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by P a u l:
Woody Allen is a genius. And Manhattan (whilst brilliant) isn't necessarily the best of his movies for an introduction to his work.

Try movies like Love And Death, or Sleeper, or even Annie Hall. Or (a more recent one) The Curse Of The Jade Scorpion. All of these give you a gentler, zanier, and above all less stylized introduction to Allen's work.

This ^
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
quote:

This ^
^Double this^

quote:
Originally posted by Ronnie:
watched The Parent Trap (1961) with the adorable Hayley Mills who plays twins pulling the old switch-a-roo on their divorced parents. great family flick and hilarious! [Smile]

"Let's get together yeah yeah yeah!"

Hayley's accent was never convincingly American. She was like a walking sunbeam in films like this and Pollyanna.

Parent Trap for the 60's, Freaky Friday for the 70's. Classic Disney.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Logan 5:
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
quote:

This ^
^Double this^

^^^Treble this^^^

Just thought I'd join in!!! [Smile]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JAY LEE:
I think you have to be a middleaged, jewish, neurotic new yorker, possibly with a hankering for young asians, to appreciate his films. And that kinda narrows down the potential audience.... [Roll Eyes]

I'm gonna go with JAY LEE on this one.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Shame, Bernie, cos you're missing out on some classic movies...
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually did see on of his a while ago and it was quite funny but I can't remember which one it was, and can't remember much about it.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

I can highly recommend any of those I mentioned above.

Quick synopsis.....

Love And Death : Set in the Napoleonic Wars between France and Russia, Woody plays Boris, a coward and philosopher who is forced to enlist in the Russian Army. After rising in the ranks by accidental success, he marries his sweetheart Sonja (Diane Keaton), who talks him into a plot to kill Napoleon.

Sleeper : This time set 200 years in the future, Allen plays the recently thawed Miles Munroe, desperately trying to come to terms with his new situation (he wasn't aware that he was being cryogenically frozen) and teams up with Socialite Luna (Keaton again), this time in an attempt to evade the secret police and overthrow the government by stealing the Presiden't nose (all that's left after an accident).

Annie Hall : This one basically tells the story of the on-off relationship between Alvy Singer (Allen) and Annie (Keaton) as they live in New York. After they finally split, they both somehow move to Los Angeles, where Alvy tries and ultimately fails to win her back. It's worth noting that this movie beat Star Wars to the Best Movie award at the 1977 Academy Awards.

Curse Of The Jade Scorpion : In this one, form2001, Allen plays CW Briggs, an Insurance Investigator, constantly battling both his boss and the new hot-shot female investigator (Helen Hunt) who just happens to be the bosses' mistress. At a party, both Allen and Hunt are hypnotised by a stage magician, who implants codewords and doesn't actually remove them. Later, he telephones Allen and using the codeword, gets him to break into homes using his inside knowledge, steal valuables, and then return home in complete ignorance of his actions. Allen and Hunt are both used in this way, and have to work together to try and discover the identity of the mysterious thieves...

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I will endeavour to check them out Paul and thanks heaps for the elaborate synopsis. From the descriptions the movie sounds more like Annie Hall than the rest but I can't be sure that was it, but it was definitely in New York. My mum has been trying to convince me to watch sleeper for ages, so I guess I'll check that one out first.

Again, thank you for the effort.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bananas (1971) is one of the best comedies ever!
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kowalski
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8412

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kowalski   Email Kowalski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got

-

and

-

Posts: 357 | From: Ireland | Registered: Nov 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Driver may be my favorite Walter Hill film--and certainly one of the most underrated films of the 70s. I love it. [Smile]

LeMans isn't too shabby either!

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Driver is indeed cool. I think that i´ve never seen Le Mans...
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
East of Eden (1955)  -

-

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you know i hear alot about how woody allen films are supposed to be funny, but i only find a few parts at most humerous.

but i really liked radio days

i have seen love and death, what am i missing

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
East of Eden (1955)  -

-

Helen, I am not sure if you are familiar with this song, but it's classic.

Icehouse: Jimmy Dean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTJ_ImnP5QQ

there's a mist over broadway
breathing cool sheets of rain
lights his last cigarette and
turns his back to the wind

she says baby I don't know
just how to explain
and I can't see the sense
and I can't play this game
but he's not even listening
he stares at the ground
and she won't ever know
what was on his mind

well now he's a rebel without a cause
hey c'mon let's make a deal
see your name in lights just like Jimmy Dean
live and die behind the wheel

opened out on the highway
leaving her far behind
there's a star down on sunset
he says yeah this one's mine

she says baby I don't know
just how to explain
and I can't see the sense
and I can't play this game
but he's not even listening
he stares at the ground
and she won't ever know
what was on his mind

well now Mr D whispered in his ear
engines running hot singing Jimmy Dean
any time there's time to kill

he drove like a demon
and he burned up the screen
but he never looked back no
she just wasted my time

gonna let those horses loose again
see them running wild just like Jimmy Dean
overdrive in chrome and steel
hey c'mon

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Nice! [Smile]
Zach
Master Rewinder
Member # 9459

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Zach   Email Zach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shout! Factory, which has been releasing a ton of New World/New Concorde movies out under the Roger Corman's Cult Classics line, just put out three of his black and white 1950s sci-fi/horror movies. It contains Attack of the Crab Monsters (1957), Not of This Earth (1957), and War of the Satellites (1958).

I watched AOTCM and NOTE earlier this week and enjoyed them both. I really liked Paul Birch's performance as Paul Johnson, the humanoid alien that comes to Earth to find blood for his planet. There's also a really weird looking monster that pops up in the last 10 minutes (it kinda resembles an umbrella without the handle). It was created by Paul Blaisdell, who made a ton of neat-looking monsters for different 50s sci-fi/horror movies on low budgets.

Attack of the Crab Monsters is a good giant monster movie. Even though the crabs have some goofy looking eyes, I liked the plot point of how they absorb the brains of their victims and telepathically communicate with the people. It's a very unique idea that I haven't see copied in other monster movies.

BTW, I also can't stand Woody Allen's movies. They're too talky and bore me to tears. Then again, that's how I feel about the majority of American movies made in the 1970s, despite what so-called "experts" say.

Posts: 122 | From: Beverly, MA | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not of this Earth is one of the best early Corman films. I think that it's a cool little sci-fi flick, and, Zach, you are right about Birch--he's great. I like AOTCM too. War of the Satellites was made quickly and cheaply after the space race began. It's not great, but it's pretty short so it's worth a look. Shout! Factory has been great about the Corman stuff. I hope that they keep it up. They just released Jackson County Jail, which I think is terrific.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think what I did not like about Manhattan was Diane Keaton. She seemed, to me anyway, even more neurotic than Woody Allen. I don't think I can watch another one with her in it. She got on my nerves. I think the only other Woody Allen film I saw was Bullets over Broadway, and that was sooooo long ago.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home