iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 107)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  104  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Traumnovelle (1969) - While I prefer the beautiful, haunting sights and sounds and extra creepy aspects of Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut, this German TV version is also really good. Very dreamy and tense at times. Woulda got a higher score only it died a death the last ten minutes. 7/10
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Schizo (1976) - This is brilliant, one of my favourite Pete Walker films. Even though I thought I remembered the outcome it's written and directed so well that I was still questioning everything all the way through. It also has a few savage kills and one of the oddest seance scenes I've ever seen. 9/10
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
White Zombie (1932) - "We understand each other better now."

One of the most bone chilling moments of any horror ever! *Shudder* This is my favourite zombie film. I hadn't watched it for a number of years though and I found the time away made that second half in the castle genuinely much more terrifying. I'm so immune that it's rare to have me all shaken during and after a horror film like that. I'm right there with the characters friggin' helpless with the actions of this voodoo lunatic, yikes! And now I keep hearing those horrible sounds of the zombie workers pushing the machinery around and around in the mill! Utterly fabulous film. 10/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Devil's Men (1976) - This Peter Cushing/Donald Pleasence flick has always escaped me. It's not what I would call a great film, but it was a super comfortable curled up on the couch with Halloween decorations and candles lit mood. Beautiful greek locations, hooded Satanic mayhem, exploding people and ends with this funky little number www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICSxjEALmYc What's not to like?! 7/10
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) - Wowzer, it had been a long time. I remembered it being amazing but was still floored by it all over again. It's a beautiful piece of art. How inventive, grotesque and cheerworthy the kills were in this. I especially loved the locusts one. I wasn't expecting her face to be quite that cleanly gnawed off when it got back to her, I threw my arms in the air haha. Fun how they twisted the Renfield/Klove type servant character in this to that odd woman who played the violin while he was draining the blood out of Terry-Thomas. Bloomin' brilliant!! This guy was truly diabolical. And what in all hell was with the Frank Sidebottom band?! Absolutely fantastic film. And oh my, those adorable real bats, my heart. 10/10

The Bloody Judge (1970) - This is one of a small number of Jess Franco films that I think is genuinely good. Much of that is down to Christopher Lee, locations, costumes and music. It does lose me a bit with the boring sleaze towards the end but turns it around for a dramatically great ending scene. Just don't have a shot everytime wench is uttered or you will be flat on your **** within the first 30 minutes [Big Grin] 7/10

The Mole People (1956) - I loved and was frustrated by this film in equal measure. It was a delicious slice of sci fi fantasy horror. I was living for those scenes when the mole people would pull people down through their holes and livid for them being whipped and given scraps. I loved the underground world and the booming music and the matte paintings and allsorts. But gosh it was just way too short and if this had just been a little later down the line this coulda been on the scale of epic spectacles like Jason and the Argonauts and Clash Of The Titans. So yeah I enjoyed it a lot for what it was but weep for what I imagine it being. 7/10

The Raven (1963) - This was one of only 2 Corman Poe films I had yet to see. With it being a comedy I was never really in a rush to rectify that. I was really loving it at first, belly laughing at Peter Lorre as the Raven and when he was turned back human, but after a bit the jokes wore thin and like what happens with many comedy horrors I began to tune out. It's a difficult one to rate as it's always lovely being with such wonderful actors with all of the beautiful sets with too many red candles to count, but apart from the opening and a few bits and pieces it really didn't do it for me [Frown] 5/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Theatre Of Blood (1973) - If this film had ended around the 50 minute mark I woulda been telling you how I didn't remember it being this great, this twisted and creative in its kills and that I loved it. Alas after that it just became way too comical for my tastes. If it had been like that all the way through fair enough, but for the first half to be so wonderfully dark and disturbing and then to turn so far left field I just didn't fully appreciate it. Reminds me a little of how I feel with From Dusk Till Dawn. 7/10

The Return Of Dracula (1958) - I went into this not really expecting much at all but I bloomin' well loved it!! The less creepy version of The Shining music, Dracula with a curly quiff that I never knew that I needed, charming characters and stunning to look at. It was a strange one as it was part like the older Dracula films but yet so on the cusp of the greatness that was to begin that very year with the Hammer films. That sudden splash of colour during a staking was unexpected and wonderful. But my most favourite part of all was the house Halloween party with the pensioners dressed as skeletons and witches and having a dashing great time. I need to be that level of coolio at their age [Big Grin] And that ending, swoon. All around a very pleasant surprise. 8/10

[ 26. September 2022, 04:43: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Premature Burial (1962) - The last of the Corman Poe films I had to see and it was delicious. Gorgeous foggy graveyards, beautiful castle with my dream 4 poster bed with red velvet curtains. And enough red candles to rival Voodoo Academy. Parts of the film reminded me of the wonderful giallo Short Night Of Glass Dolls. It's just a horrifying concept to even think about. The story was going a familar route but then fooled me into thinking it wasn't. It was well played all around. 8/10

Carnival Of Souls (1962) - I've seen this a few times, always on one of my Mill Creek sets which has really bad sound. So when I saw it on TV I thought I'd finally watch it without that issue. And d'you know what, I just wasn't into it as much like this. Turns out the up and down, in and out, wibbly wobbly sounds on the disc only adds to everything great about this film. The ambience, the birds, the waves, the wind, the footsteps, the organ music, the eeriness, everything is enhanced with this 'fault'. I wouldn't have it any other way! [Big Grin] 8/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Somebody else give the 70s and earlier some love haha [Big Grin]
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -  -

The last 70s films i watched were Wim Wenders road movie Alice in the Cities (1974) and Enter the Dragon (1973) rewatch. I would give them 6/10 and 8/10.

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
[Big Grin]
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never seen Enter the Dragon. Something tells me I'm missing out.

Ok Helen, i caught some of The Warriors awhile back and a lot of episodes of Threes Company. I love that show.

Posts: 1995 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeremiah Johnson excellent flick .
Posts: 1995 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Indeed!
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

The local movie parlor had retro night and I watched the great Monty Python and the Holy Grail. 1975. I recommend this one. There were 4 people in the theater.
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TheHoff   Email TheHoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love it, also the meaning of life, Life of Brian and all the Monty Python stuff is great.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Sep 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

WE WANT .....................

.,..............A SHRUBBERY!!!

TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TheHoff   Email TheHoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NI........NI........NI......NI
Posts: 315 | Registered: Sep 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Hahahaha!!
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rewatched Kramer vs. Kramer (1979), which happened to air on Belgian TV last week.

Winner of 5 Academy Awards : Best film of '79, best lead actor (Dustin Hoffman), best supporting actress (Meryl Streep),
best director (Robert Benton), and best addapted screenplay, as well as a very honorable best supporting actor nomination
for young Justin Henry, who played Hoffman and Streep's 7yo son.

Hoffman and Streep were at the top of their game, and rightfully won their Academy awards, but Kramer vs. Kramer winning
Best Picture and Best Director in spite of Apocalypse Now / Francis Ford Coppola being nominated in the same categories is
somewhat questionable in my opinion.

Funniest scene happens when a buck-naked JoBeth Williams on her way to the bathroom accidentally runs into the 7yo kid,
who casually asks her if she likes fried chicken, while she's desperately trying to cover her body :

https://clip.cafe/kramer-vs-kramer-1979/its-really/

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can’t play that clip, but that is hilarious. I do agree with you.
Posts: 2292 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

"here's to swimmin with bowlegged women"
Yeah, Jaws
Pretty good flick. Woulda been better if dreyfuss got ate instead of the captain
😁 he did have his good moments though

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Food Of The Gods - I gotta admire how this film knows exactly what it is. No beating around the bush, just straight to the giant chickens, rats and wasps. I also love how for its premise it's played completely straight and the film looks lush as ****. Never got tired of rats crawling all over miniatures. 7/10

Dr. Phibes Rises Again - While not a patch on the first film it's still bloody good fun with some tasty kills. It's one that is so absurd that you don't even wanna blink and miss something. Unfortunately Peter Cushing's part is so small that that could happen. Noticeable drop down in budget, for one the Frank Sidebottom band is reduced [Razz] Bonkers film tho, with an ending that made me grin like a Cheshire cat [Big Grin] 8/10

The Night Visitor - I didn't remember much about this other than the ending and how he gets in and out of the asylum. The whole thing is so simple, but so effective. Really atmospheric too although admittedly I am easily won over by icy wind howling and rooftop mayhem. It's just gripping from start to finish. 9/10

Corruption (1968) - Yeah, yeah, YEAH!! I've been wanting to see this for years and so happy to say it did not disappoint! It essentially starts off as an Eyes Without A Face rip but then just becomes its own beast getting more nuts as it goes. You could be mistaken for thinking it's a Hammer or Amicus film as it looks just as delicious with those colours popping off the screen. Holy Cushing Creepolo, he scared the living crap out of me with just a look in the train carriage scene!! He was excellent as always and looks so handsome. I loved that he had a Tom Cruise running scene, he really went for it. I was shouting "Come On Peter, kill the overreacting cow." I mean, she only seen a severed head for goodness sake, no need to flip out [Razz] That last half an hour when they are home invasioned by a bunch of freaks was insane, the music driving the drama of it all. Fantastic ending, fantastic film. 9/10

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking for Mr. Goodbar
This was a very strange film. At times I thought the main character played by Diane Keaton, Theresa, , was either in a mental asylum and imagining this, or she was dead and recollecting everything. But that was not the case. I do think Theresa was mentally unstable. The ending is a shocker. I knew there was a shock ending but fortunately I didn’t know exactly what, so it was not spoiled for me. I watched it on YouTube. If you want to watch it, hurry up, because it’s never on any streamers and it gets taken down from YouTube because of the violence.

Posts: 2292 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude111
Rewind Curious
Member # 38009

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Dude111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I last watched Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory (1971) on VHS [Smile]
Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2023 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Welcome Dude, I watched that beauty again recently too [Smile]
  This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  104  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home