iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 106)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 106 pages: 1  2  3  ...  103  104  105  106   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those Crown International films did have a nice look to them, for the most part, didn't they? When I go back and look at even the cheapest drive-in fodder from the 1970s and 80s, it generally looks so much better than the shot-on-camcorder, direct-to-video-on-demand junk that gets released today. Crown's stuff may have been cheap, but the cinematography, lighting, and sound recording were usually pro.

[ 25. September 2017, 11:32: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2020 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very true, Crash. In fact, i need to check out few more CIP films in the near future.
Posts: 6945 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a Girl in My Soup (1970)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066449/

"TV personality Robert Danvers, an exceedingly vain rotter, seduces young women daily, never staying long with one.
He meets his match in Marion, an American, 19, who's available but refuses any romantic illusions.
At first, her candor and cynicism put him off, but after he witnesses her breaking up with her rocker boyfriend, he's attracted to her and invites her on an idyllic two-week trip to France.
Slowly, she pokes holes in his artifice and he comes to care for her. When they return to London, with the press thinking they're married, they come to a cross-roads:
go back to their old lives, marry each other, or invent a new, open relationship. Is Robert up to it?" (IMDb)

This was a decent comedy based on a play, surprise surprise. The film stars Peter Sellers and Goldie Hawn.

I´m not a big Sellers fan and even Hawn has said that he was a bit strange during the filming. He´s also very hairy [Smile]
It´s pretty naughty stuff considering that it was made in 1970. Few fun moments here and there but nothing extraordinary.

Posts: 6945 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forbidden Planet (1956) - I hadn't seen this in decades, silly me! A big old bundle of fun with some great suspense and humour. The sets and effects just bring me so much joy and I adore Walter Pidgeon's performance.
Posts: 3775 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forbidden Planet is everything you could want from a 50s popcorn sci-fi film--with a little bit of Shakespeare thrown in. Great film.
Posts: 2020 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Rewatched Mad Max (1979)

"In a self-destructing world, a vengeful Australian policeman sets out to stop a violent motorcycle gang." (IMDb)

This is still a stone cold classic. Cool cast & story, inventive director (ex- ER doctor George Miller) plus excellent cinematography and editing.
The action scenes are breathtaking, stuntmen did one helluva job!

Budget 200 000, worldwide gross 100 million, was a record at the time. Highly recommended!

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
It's funny, while I liked Mad Max when I saw it back in 1979, I thought that despite the amazing stunt work, it had some issues, most particularly the AIP/Filmways decision to dub everybody with American voices. Having since seen the original version with the original voice track intact, it's much better. Still...I saw Road Warrior before the restoration and that to me is the stone cold classic. It's one of the best action pictures ever made, rivaled perhaps only by Mad Max: Fury Road. (Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome is a lot of fun, but its pacing is off. It takes way too long to get Max in a vehicle and for the action to start.)
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
The last time i watched Road Warrior was 20-25 years ago so i´m sure it will make an impact and i haven´t seen Fury Road yet.
But the original Mad Max was among the first vhs films i´ve ever seen so it will always be number one. That´s just the way it is.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I understand completely, kind of like why Road Warrior is always #1 with me. (It's the best made and directed of the original trilogy.) You will love Fury Road. George Miller still makes visionary films.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
$ aka Dollars (1971)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068152/

"A bank security expert plots with a call girl to rob three safety deposit boxes containing $1.5 million in cash
belonging to three very different criminals from a high-tech security bank in Hamburg, Germany." (IMDb)

This was a fun heist film written and directed by Richard Brooks.
The first 30 mins is a bit confusing because Brooks doesn´t explain much but it gets better and i was enjoying the last 1 hour or so very much.

Goldie Hawn gives decent performance while Warren Beatty is quite excellent. Mr. Goldfinger himself, Gert Fröbe, also stars.
The film includes one of the longest chase scenes i´ve ever seen and i also like the funky Quincy Jones soundtrack.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Hurricane (1979)

"The desperate love affair between a young Samoan chief and an American painter, against the will of her father.
Amid this man-made tension comes a hurricane so devastating, the lives of the lovers and the entire island are imperiled." (IMDb)

This was a decent romance/adventure/disaster film which is loosely based on the 1937 film of the same name.
Loved the Bora Bora locations but the period drama/Blue Lagoon/disaster amalgam falls on uninteresting characters you just don´t care about.

The last 30 mins hurricane looks convincing though.

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Niagara Falls (1941) starring Marjorie Woodworth, Tom Brown, Slim Summerville and Zasu Pitts.

Prevented from leaping to his death form the titular falls, a man tells his rescuer the tale of his downfall. Newly married and on his honeymoon, he did all he could to reconcile an arguing couple (including forcing them at gunpoint to share a room in the hotel) not realising until it was far too late that the couple barely knew each other, and were certainly not (at the time) married.

Plenty of slapstick, misunderstandings, and well intentioned buffoonery make this gentle comedy stand out as amusing and enjoyable.

Posts: 3628 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couple of definite B-movie science fiction efforts...

-

The Creation of the Humanoids (1962), set after the expected nuclear apocalypse, tells of a society where the remaining humans live alongside a subjugated population of robots, and shows how barriers are broken down and rebuilt. With an interesting plot and some pretty edgy social commentary regarding segregation and persecution, this is sadly let down by definite b movie acting and an obvious resolution.

-

This Is Not A Test (also 1962) deals with the apocalypse itself. On a remote highway, a patrolman is instructed to set up a roadblock and hold all traffic. They soon hear that the missiles are incoming, and have to devise a strategy for survival. In comparison with Creation of the Humanoids, this movie does have slightly better acting, but the plot and dialogue both stink...

Posts: 3628 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Tim (1979)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080024/

"A somewhat mentally handicapped 20-year-old man works as a laborer, but everyone abuse his naiveté.
A nice 40-year-old American woman hires him one day and they become close. However, the town and his family see her as predatory." (IMDb)

This was a decent romantic drama based on Colleen "The Thorn Birds" McCullough novel and starring Mel Gibson and Piper Laurie.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
The Sugarland Express (1974)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072226/

"A woman attempts to reunite her family by helping her husband escape prison and together kidnapping their son.
But things don't go as planned when they are forced to take a police hostage on the road." (IMDb)

Rewatched this Steven Spielberg big studio debut. It´s a good crime drama set in 1969 and based on a true story.
The movie stars Goldie Hawn, Michael Sacks, William Atherton and Ben Johnson.

The Vilmos Zsigmond cinematography makes Texas landscapes look nice and i just enjoy these 70s road movies with a sad ending.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Two Goldie Hawn films:

-

The Girl from Petrovka (1974)

"A beautiful Russian ballerina falls in love with an American news correspondent. The K.G.B. is most displeased, and does everything it can to break them up." (IMDb)

Nice little romantic drama starring Hal Holbrook, Goldie Hawn, Anthony Hopkins and fun Grégoire Aslan.
Set in Moscow, shot in Austria.

-

Shampoo (1975)

"Lovers undo a hairdresser from Beverly Hills around Election Eve in 1968." (IMDb)

This was a good, very Robert Altman like, film written by Robert Towne and Warren Beatty and directed by Hal Ashby.
Beatty gives a great performance in the leading role and you gotta love the ladies: Goldie, Lee Grant and Julie Christie.
Add Jack Warden plus Carrie Fisher in her debut and you have a winner.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
The Duchess and the Dir****er Fox (1976)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074441/

"A female hustler is chasing after rich men, but becomes repeatedly mixed up with a suave con man and card shark through a series of misadventures before falling in love with him."

Pretty poor comedy this one. There´s zero chemistry between George Segal and Goldie Hawn and most of the jokes fall flat.
It gets better after the first painful 30 minutes though.

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
The Duchess and the Dir****er Fox (1976)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074441/

"A female hustler is chasing after rich men, but becomes repeatedly mixed up with a suave con man and card shark through a series of misadventures before falling in love with him."

Pretty poor comedy this one. There´s zero chemistry between George Segal and Goldie Hawn and most of the jokes fall flat.
It gets better after the first painful 30 minutes though.

Haven't seen a good profanity filter SNAFU for a while. Shame that the title omitted the hyphen in the word 'Dirt-water'... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance KId
Posts: 1524 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Compulsion (1959) - Oh a really great crime, courtroom thriller. Orson Welles killing it!
Posts: 3775 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 106 pages: 1  2  3  ...  103  104  105  106   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home