iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 106)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  103  104  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires (1974) - The Hammer Dracula series ending in a martial arts extravaganza in Hong Kong, and a Shaw brothers collaboration is both off its head and utter genius. I think this is the most polished looking of the series which is both good and bad. I love the story and think this is my favourite Cushing Van Helsing. Lots of fun fights, bodies rising from under the ground, great disintegrating bodies, fab broken hearted sucide and the final showdown between Van Helsing and Dracula, even though it's not Lee, is a grand and fitting end. Really enjoyed watching these again. I will try not to leave it 6 years next time! 8/10
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So my new rank. 1, 2 and 9 are the same but everything else has moved around. Poor Scars dropped from 3rd to 8th!

Dracula: Prince Of Darkness (1966) - 10
The Brides Of Dracula (1960) - 10
Dracula (1958) - 9
Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968) - 8
The Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires (1974) - 8
The Satanic Rites Of Dracula (1973) - 8
Taste The Blood Of Dracula (1970) - 8
Scars Of Dracula (1970) - 8
Dracula A.D. 1972 - 5

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors (1965) - This is one of the weaker Amicus anthologies for me but still gets this score so says it all really. They are ok but I always feel like the first 2 stories lets it down a bit, but each one after gets stronger and stronger. This is one where I think I like the cast of characters and wraparound more than the actual tales. 8/10
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The House That Dripped Blood (1970) - This is my favourite Amicus film. Just by a hair though, as they have others that are exceptional also, especially From Beyond The Grave. A rare feat with an anthology film in that I love every tale here equally. From the creepy opening one, to the solemn, beautifully lit second with Peter Cushing, to evil kid section with my favourite part from Christopher Lee "Educational toys, not this!" and finally the humourous one with Jon Pertwee in his element as an egotistical horror film star making a really fun double act with Ingrid Pitt. With there just being 4 stories over 100 mins it doesn't have the rushed feel some can have, all are fleshed out wonderfully and could see how a couple of them coulda been feature length. The cast is great all round and a nice fun ending. Perfect candlelit October film. 10/10
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frech Postcards. Loved it. A coming of age film from '79.
Posts: 204 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Asylum (1972) - The first story is a little daft but fun. The next 3 are really great though. Particularly love the Peter Cushing tailor segment. If it had just ended after the 4th story it woulda been fine but the long ending to the wraparound just takes it to another level. It's fantastic and those little robots are highly disturbing haha. I've seen this one too often to have forgotten the twist but I never did call it in the past. The music used is boomtastic and as always with these Amicus films the cast is a delight. 8/10
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Beast Must Die (1974) - This crazy whodunnit is my second favourite werewolf film. I love everything about it. Calvin Lockhart here is a fine specimen and his whole manner and voice is so dramatic, love!! The music whether it be the eerie tense times or the funky is all great to me. I am jiggling away on the couch everytime. The plot itself from that mad opening to harassing all of his guests to find out who the werewolf is, Calvin's outfits, Peter Cushing's mad accent that he forgets sometimes, his employee operating all the cameras in the trees and whatnot. It's all ludicrous in the best possible way and I lap every second of it up. The country mansion and gardens settings is wonderful. I love the werewolf break. I just wish I could forget who it was. But I did forget the very ending part which was something [Big Grin] And I don't care that the werewolf is a big fluffy dog. I take dog over CGI werewolf any day of the week!! I love this film! 10/10
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
And Now The Screaming Starts! - I've never seen that much love for this one but I've always adored it. One of my favourite haunted house films. As much as I love Amicus' modern day horrors I do wish they'd done a few more period ones like this. The score is beautiful, the cast is fantastic as is and then just to top it all off Peter Cushing arrives midway through. The house is the stuff of dreams in all its gothic glory. Stephanie Beacham is marvelous, her final shot in this is incredible. It's creepy, atmospheric and the backstory is heartbreaking. But it's hard to have too much sympathy for Silas as his revenge sucks! Best scene in the graveyard with Charles bashing his relatives bones up, ha! 10/10
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched The Godfather part II (1974) for the second time this year alone when it aired on Belgian TV last weekend.

I love Michael V. Gazzo in this one, he really steals the show in every scene he's in, even when he's sharing the screen with Al Pacino.

Hightlights (among many) are the chaotic, but wonderfully orchestrated Senate hearings when Willie Cicci (Joe Spinell), Michael Corleone,
and Frankie Pentangeli (Michael Gazzo) are publically interrogated by the Senate committee (in which Roger Corman makes an uncredited
cameo appearance).

I do have mixed feelings about the flashback scene at the end. It's not that i dislike the scene, but i think it would have been better still
if it ended right after Fredo was killed. But this, of course, is just nitpicking on one of the greatest American motion pictures in history !

Robert De Niro, Michael Gazzo, and Lee Strasberg were all nominated for best supporting actor in 1975, with De Niro beating his co-stars,
and winning his first Oscar.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Vault Of Horror (1973) - This one feels much more of a black comedy than Amicus' usual creepy horror anthology fare. It's not top tier for them but just a whole heap of fun from start to finish. That street shot in the first story is just divine. Wish I could blow that up and put it on my wall. 8/10
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vampire Hookers 1978. An obscure find.
Goofy comical low budget sexploitation flick.
Had some spots that made me laugh and Karen Stride, Lenka Novak and Katie Dolan supplied the excellent eye-candy.

Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liannoni
Rewind Curious
Member # 37682

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Liannoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was the movie "California Gold Rush" An incredible 1946 film directed by R. G. Springsteen and written by Robert Creighton Wiliams. If you are interested in finding more info about this film, then I recommend reading about it on the site, because there you will find interesting information about it and be able to understand whether it will be interesting for you. But personally I really liked it and my friends have already reviewed it on my recommendations.

[ 12. February 2021, 02:30: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2021 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
King Kong (1933) - I hadn't seen this in over 20 years and at first I was thinking it wasn't as good as I remembered. But once it got to the island, bam, non stop thrills. I adore the 2005 version, mostly for the relationship between Kong and Ann. I ball my eyes out at the end of that one. There is none of that feeling in this one for me mainly because Fay Wray is just a screaming bore in it. But I just loved how savage Kong is LOL. Great fun. 9/10
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Helen, did you see this announcement from Severin Films ? :

https://severin-films.com/shop/eurocrypt-christopher-lee/

It's pretty expensive, but this lovely box-set has your name written all over it ! [Wink]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Wow [Eek!]
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starting Over with Burt Reynolds, Jill Clayburgh and Candace Bergin. It was ok. Felt like a Neil Simon wannabe movie.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Konga (1961) - That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Not only does it have the obvious rip off but it's so blatantly ripping Little Shop Of Horrors too. Just when I thought I couldn't see a more OTT performance from Michael Gough than in Dracula, my God!! And his aggressive lunges at the girls face like she was just gonna be like "Take me now". The writing is just wow. The line that had me howling the most "There's a huge monster gorilla that's constantly growing to outlandish proportions loose in the streets!" I loved how his potion turned a baby chimp into a massive gorilla and the only silly part of the effects in King Kong with the eyes going from side to side was overdone to the extreme here! I hugely enjoyed the sets when he became his biggest at the end and loved how the effects made it look like only one of the shots aimed at him actually hit him lol Fun times! 6/10
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Spider Baby (1967) - Murderous inbred bizarro horror comedy with a fab cast. Genuinely freaky stuff one minute and super funny the next. Had a great time. 8/10
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Picnic At Hanging Rock - This has always been one of my fave Aussie films but it's never quite gotten to me as much as this viewing. The whole section where they are going higher and higher up the rocks with the music that I only realised now reminds me so much of Candyman and the camera spinning around gave me the absolute ****s! The chilling wind sounds and the wonderful Gheorghe Zamfir panpipes and the rocks that look like they have faces in them only adds to the whole mystique and haunting feelings. And even when it stems away from the more eerie elements it is still completely intriguing and I was hoping I had forgotten something and there would be answers but I do think it is best as is, without any. 9/10
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Meatballs - I vaguely remember seeing this as a kid. I thoroughly enjoyed it. A weird mix of un-pc comedy/coming of age corn central. I loved the Meatballs song and a young Bill Murray was great. Loved his little rant which reminded me of the end of Scrooged and his crappy campfire horror tale. The lake looked straight out of Friday the 13th! 8/10
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TheHoff   Email TheHoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
Meatballs - I vaguely remember seeing this as a kid. I thoroughly enjoyed it. A weird mix of un-pc comedy/coming of age corn central. I loved the Meatballs song and a young Bill Murray was great. Loved his little rant which reminded me of the end of Scrooged and his crappy campfire horror tale. The lake looked straight out of Friday the 13th! 8/10

I haven't seen this Helen so thanks for the recommendation, I'm a fan of Bill Murray so I don't know how I've missed this. I've ordered a copy [Smile]
Posts: 315 | Registered: Sep 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Are you ready for the summer, are you ready for the sunshine!" I love meatballs! A memorable movie from childhood. Not far from the 80s either 1979. Cover art on the box is pretty cool also with Murray and company on the fence.

For anyone unaware. There are 4!! Meatballs movies with the fourth starring corey Feldman.

Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Didn't know that Terd [Eek!]

Fantastic TheHoff, I hope you enjoy! [Smile]

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Meatballs but I hate that song, lol!!! I need to do a rewatch! And I wish Chris Makepeace would come out of hiding or whatever. I had a crush on him after I saw this movie.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Lol pittsburghgirl. I read that Meatballs was actually filmed at a camp with real summer camper kids. After contacting many camps to film the movie and being shot down, White Pine camp said yes. The kids that were at the camp were used as extras.
  This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  103  104  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home