iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 105)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  102  103  104  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"A naive Scotsman buys a vintage sports car and learns to drive in order to impress the daughter of an arrogant aristocrat who despises him."

The Fast Lady (1962)

A charming comedy.

-

Two English beauties.

Posts: 1518 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Hair (1979) which was a pretty good musical directed by Milos Forman.

Sex, drugs and lots of cool tunes in this one.
The cast rocks and i loved the "twist" during the final 15 minutes.

Posts: 7007 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Another 70s film i watched was the Barry McKenzie sequel Barry McKenzie Holds His Own (1974).

Gotta love these politically incorrect australian films directed by Bruce Beresford.
This sequel stars once again Barry Crocker and Barry Humphries plus Donald Pleasence gives a hilarious performance as the communist vampire Erich Count von Plasma.

Posts: 7007 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jaws - I don't know why but everytime I come back to this every few years I go into it a little bit terrified that I won't love it as much. But I always end up loving it more! When I was younger I'd always love that first hour of chaos but it would lose me just ever so slightly during parts of the second half. Which is really hard to imagine now as it is such great character building, funny and poignant without being too much. It's perfection. I love everybody in this film, the good, the bad and the complete arseholes! Funny thing today I jumped once but it wasn't during parts you'd expect but it was when Brody got slapped across the face haha. Something I noticed that I can't believe I missed all of the other times was when a guy was trying to get to shore and just pushes 2 tiny kids off a float and takes it. Oh my God, I was laughing hysterically at the sickness of it!

Jaws 2 - Some things I love about this one: Brody, Brody's tan, the happy little beach scene to the corny tune, when they find the girl alone and she screams shark which is truly harrowing and makes me well up everytime and 'It's just blue fish!'

Things I despise: There's no character development in this one, it's just brat central, there's barely any tension felt either, mistaking the shark for a horse with the cameraman riding on its back so often, ridiculous helicopter scene, too much bloody shark and 'Open wide, say ahhhh'. Cringe.

Posts: 3807 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched a couple of really solid crime thrillers yesterday Out of the Fog (1962)and The Spaniards Curse (1958)

I also watched a brilliant and bizarre comedy, The Horse's Mouth (1958) Alec Guiness was tremendous!

Posts: 3807 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Horse's Mouth is a favorite! Guinness, as I recall, wrote the screenplay.
Posts: 2043 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Policewomen - That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen!
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue aka Let Sleeping Corpses Lie - Finally got to see this after hearing about it for so long! The first half wasn't exactly great with some shockingly laughable acting and dialogue. But once they entered that church with the beautiful little graveyard it became fantastic. There was some great gore and loved how the zombies ate parts of people like they were enjoying a magnificent feast haha. Zombies pulling gravestones out of the ground to throw at people was definitely a highlight along with the arsehole copper who made a great villain.
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like Let Sleeping Corpses Lie a/k/a The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue a/k/a Breakfast at Manchester Morgue a/k/a Don't Open the Window. It's a Romero rip-off, to be sure, but it's a well made one. I loved the sounds that the living dead man. Very creepy!
Posts: 2043 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Haha, love the breakfast title!
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
One of the most retitled films ever! I remember TV spots back in the day for it as "Don't Open the Window." With no Internet, I didn't even know what the heck it was. I understand the U.S. theatrical release had a lot of the extreme gore cut. I got the DVD box set tin many years ago. It came with its own corpse toe-tag. ROFL

I'm glad that you finally saw it. It's an entertaining rip-off. And that title, "Let Sleeping Corpses Lie," is really inspired. About the only other title that's better is "Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key." [Smile]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Yeah nothing beats that title!

Corpse toe-tag. That is so cool and weird! [Big Grin]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Psycho - God, it's just insane how much I'm left feeling like I've been through the wringer at the end of every viewing of this! Unbelievable tension that never wavers. It's funny, it wasn't until seeing a showing of this with a live orchestra a couple of years ago that I realised that there are quite big chunks in this film where this is no music at all and some of them most important scenes. Each time I watch this I seem to have a new favourite character, this time it was Lila. And a new fave scene which is now the one when Norman and Marion have sandwiches and a chat in his study. So powerful. Ahh, I love every part of this film! I haven't seen the sequels in some time but will be getting stuck in this week.
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Psycho shows you how truly great Hitch was a director. And to think that critics didn't care for it at the time. It's a nearly perfect film. And filmed on the cheap too with the crew from his TV show. But wow! Everything is spot on--from the acting to the editing (brilliant, of course) to the production design to the amazing music (very judiciously used too). And even the last scene with all the exposition that everyone says is badly written--and was pretty much nudge-nudge-wink-winked by DePalma in Dressed to Kill--isn't bad. I've always thought that that scene was Hitch just winking at the audience. (And then DePalma nodded back at Hitch and winked at the audience with his homage.)
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And a new fave scene which is now the one when Norman and Marion have sandwiches and a chat in his study
Always my fave scene.
Posts: 3370 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Isn't it divine!
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
And even the last scene with all the exposition that everyone says is badly written--and was pretty much nudge-nudge-wink-winked by DePalma in Dressed to Kill--isn't bad. I've always thought that that scene was Hitch just winking at the audience. (And then DePalma nodded back at Hitch and winked at the audience with his homage.)

Yes! I've never understood all the hate for that part.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
End Play (1976)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072938/

This was a decent australian thriller starring George Mallaby and John Waters as brothers with a rather strange relationship.
Add four hitchhiker murders and two policemen investigating the case and a big twist ending.
Not Ozploitation classic like the cover says but pretty good anyway.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I need to catch up with some of these Ozploitation films featured in Mark Hartley's documentary. I especially like what I saw from Next of Kin, not the Patrick Swayze film.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Next of Kin looks like a cool one!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Cactus Flower (1969)

"A dentist pretends to be married to avoid commitment, but when he falls for his girlfriend and proposes, he must recruit his lovelorn nurse to pose as his wife." (IMDb)

Another marathon i just started, Goldie Hawn films.

This was a pretty fun movie based on a play (which was based on a french play) starring Walter Matthau, Ingrid Bergman and Goldie Hawn.
The principal cast did very well but co-star Jack Weston was the funniest fella here IMO. The dialogue flows nicely and i liked the Stereo Heaven record shop where Goldie worked.

This was Hawn´s first big role and she won an Oscar for her performance (Best supporting actress).
A remake called Just go for It was released in 2011 starring Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston. Haven´t seen that one.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Rabid Dogs (1974)

"Following a bungled robbery, three violent criminals take a young woman, a middle-aged man, and a child hostage
and force them to drive them outside Rome to help them make a clean escape." (IMDb)

Totally different kind of Mario Bava here and i love it!
Pure 100% nihilistic 70s magic with cool performances from the cast. Recommended!

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I finally saw Rabid Dogs a few years ago. Wow! For a film that was rumored to be "unfinished" it's great. Bava gets my vote for the greatest, least-known world-class filmmaker. And he ended his career on a very high note, proving that he could work in just about any genre.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, it´s so sad they they couldn´t finish it when he was alive.
It´s amazing that the film is so entertaining considering that most of takes place in a car.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Summer City (1977)

"The exploits of four boys who leave Sydney and head out for a weekend of surfing and adventure. Unfortunately the fun takes a serious turn when they find themselves involved in a murder." (IMDb)

A very low-budget film this one, looks like what Crown International Pictures did in the US but not quite as good as those.
Many familiar faces among the cast and Mel Gibson can be seen as one of the boys but his role is relatively small.
He looks pretty energetic though so Mad Max is already there somewhere [Smile] The ending is very sad, 70s style.

A sequel called Breaking Loose was made in 1988. I have it and it´s a decent film but none of the original main cast were involved.

This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  102  103  104  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home