iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » The Three Musketeers & The Four Musketeers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Three Musketeers & The Four Musketeers
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I watched these great adventure movies, directed by Richard Lester, yesterday.
I remember seeing these the last time when i was a kid.

It was intended to be a one three hour film but later it was split into two movies released in 1973 and 1974.
The story was of course based on the novel by Alexandre Dumas.

I love the cast: Michael York, Oliver Reed, Frank Finlay, Richard Chamberlain, Raquel Welch, Faye Dunaway,
Charlton Heston, Christopher Lee, Simon Ward etc.
Raquel Welch was so beautiful, i could watch her all day long [Smile]

Wonderful settings and locations, cool fight scenes and great costumes.
Highly recommended!

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are brilliant adaptations of the tale - by far the best movie tellings. The cast are wonderful, the scenery and fight scenes enthralling, and every single character delivered superbly - especially Spike Milligan as Raquel welch's husband, and Roy Kinnear as D'Artagnan's manservant.

If you haven't seen these, watch them. Especially if you were at all disappointed by the more recent 'attempt' at telling the story.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i liked the 93 version with tim curry quite a bit myself
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tried watching the 70's version of the count of monte cristo, but i think the 2001 version is too good and it dwarfs its predecessor.
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul, have you seen The Return of the Musketeers (1989)?
Same director and most of the cast + C. Thomas Howell and Kim Cattrall.
I wonder where can i get it.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Paul, have you seen The Return of the Musketeers (1989)?
Same director and most of the cast + C. Thomas Howell and Kim Cattrall.
I wonder where can i get it.

I've not seen it to my recollection.

You can get it from Amazon on UK VHS HERE

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
harry2
Master Rewinder
Member # 7645

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for harry2   Email harry2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trivia. Roy Kinnear was filming The Return Of The Musketeers with York, Finlay, Reed , Chamberlain et al and fell off a horse breaking his pelvis. Suffered a heart attack the next day and died. First two films were among the best adaptations, though.
Posts: 136 | From: The Royal County | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Yeah - knew that, harry. A real shame, because he was a great comic actor. One additional trivia piece - director Richard Lester quit the business after the accident and Kinnear's death. He and Kinnear were very close friends, and Lester has only done one other directing job since - a concert film for Paul McCartney as a favour for his friend Paul.

Aside from the Three Musketeers, my favourites of Kinnear's were A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum, Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory, Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother, Eskimo Nell, and in his many appearances on tv comedy shows in the 70s and early 80s.

Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, the man was a real talent; at least through Mr. Salt, he shall have immortality.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinnear, a real talent, as you guys have noted, is wonderfully funny in his friend Richard Lester's excellent--and quite underrated--thriller "Juggernaut" (1974). When people talk about fine directors, everyone seems to forget Lester. His filmography includes some really great films: "Hard Day's Night," "Help," the first two "Musketeers" films, "Juggernaut," "Robin and Marian," and "Superman II." Any one of those would insure a lasting legacy, but Lester had a bunch. Great director. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
You should also check out the 1984 Lester movie Finders Keepers.
Very funny comedy with a great cast:
Starring Michael O´Keefe, Beverly D´Angelo, Louis Gossett Jr., Ed Lauter, Brian Dennehy and young Jim Carrey.

-

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen it and like it too.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Good Package:
tried watching the 70's version of the count of monte cristo, but i think the 2001 version is too good and it dwarfs its predecessor.

I love this version too. I am pretty sure in the 70's version Dantès does not end up with Mercédès but in this version he does. I still think its one of the best stories ever told.

Does anyone know what happens in the book? I would assume that in the book version he doesn't end up with the girl. I tried reading it a number of years ago and only got about a third of the way through it. It was just too heavy reading for me.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernie, in the novel, Edmond loses Mercedes as a result of his retributive rancour, but he does end up with Haydee.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that. I didn't want to read another 900 pages to find that out. I don't believe any film adaption mentions that part of the story where he ends up with a different girl. Does it?
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the 1934 along with 2002 versions, Edmond finishes up with Mercedes, but in the 1975 rendering he has neither of the two women.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks. You would think that one of the adaptions would show Dantes ending up with Haydee.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home