iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » "Goodbye Girl" remake - AARRGGH!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Goodbye Girl" remake - AARRGGH!!
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other day, while driving along, I noticed this huge billboard sign. The sign was an ad about a new, upcoming TV-movie remake of Neil Simon's "The Goodbye Girl" for cable-TV, to be shown on the TNT cable channel sometime next month. The new version stars Jeff Daniels and Patricia Heaton.

My question is...."WHY???" [Confused]

The 1977 original is still worth watching, mainly for the performances of Richard Dreyfuss (who won an Oscar for his role), Marsha Mason, and Quinn Cummings.

(BTW, Quinn has left show biz and now runs her own company called "Hip Hugger". Find out more about her company at http://store.yahoo.com/thehiphuggeronline/history.html )

Neil Simon has really been slacking off in the last 12 years. Almost everything he's been involved with are remakes of his own older movies or plays. I guess he's completely run out of ideas. [Frown]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While Marsha Mason's portrayal gets on my nerves, this movie is great for the performances of RD and QC. I guess it bothers me that a single mom is so dependent on the assistance of a man...she's so mistrustful and ungrateful...it hits a sour note with this particular working single mom.

But I still love the movie and hate to see a remake...then again, I wouldn't expect much from a TV version anyway.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home