iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » 70's fashion. Did they stop caring what they looked like?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 70's fashion. Did they stop caring what they looked like?
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have never been down with men's seventies fashions. The shaggy hair the unshaven, unkempt look. Guys who wore sport jackets that look like the same material that the couches were made of. Sheesh. I will take 80's fashion any day. Anyone agree?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gremic
Rewind Curious
Member # 2199

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for gremic   Email gremic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree big time. I hate those clothes.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tyson
Rewind Curious
Member # 2200

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for tyson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree. It was a revolution in fashion. Men were able to finally express themselves by the clothes they wore and became as extravagant as their female counterparts for the first time since 18th Century France. Contemporary mens fashion tries to disguise the shape of the body with all it's baggy jeans and sloppy tops. In comparison, even mainstream 70's fashion glorified the male physique, hugging and displaying and declaring it beautiful. The seventies spawned the androgene, the pimp, the punk, and the disco king. Besides, it was FUN. It was like fancy dress, everyday!
Posts: 1 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im gonna disagree. I like guys with long hair and that was a 70s thing. I also like bell bottoms...they make my giant feet look so small!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't like anything baout the 70's decor style...I could never understand when we had the Victorian era, so many many years earlier, how you go from beautiful to orange shag carpet, and lime green kitchens. And the wallpaper-uugh. The clothes I sort of liked. I loved wearing my jeans tucked in to my boots, that zipped up the side. And I loved the peasant shirts, and painter pants. I never like leisure suits on men! Not even John Travolta...I was never liking those.But I was only in elementary school in the 70's.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something else I can't stand is the Sports jacket with the Turtle neck. Yuck. Just watch Slapshot and you will see what I mean.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a '70s teen fashionista, I have to say in our defense that we did the best we had with what we had to work with at the time. I can remember some very nifty outfits that I thought made me one bitchin' babe. Do I laugh now when I see old pictures -- sure -- but as I say to my kids: that's what people wore then!

Those flared jeans worn now came from somewhere you know -- yes, I know sailors have worn bellbottoms for decades, but as far as fashion goes you can attribute flared jeans and hip-huggers to us '70s hipsters. I had one pair so low & tight, I had to lie flat on the bed to zip them up...straight out of "Dazed & Confused."

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home