iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » The Warriors-ultimate director’s cut

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Warriors-ultimate director’s cut
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Highly enjoyable, comic book style B-movie: A big gang meet in The Bronx gets way out of hand, when conspirators assassinate unifying, charismatic gang leader Cyrus, and frame 'The Warriors' for his murder. Now on hostile turf in an increasingly chaotic situation and miles away from Coney Island, 'The Warriors' brave the mean streets n' subways of NYC; fighting cops & gang members alike, in a desperate bid get home.

-

I liked the introductory allusions to Greco-Persian literature (i.e. 'The Warriors' represent Greek soldiers who fought for The Persian Empire). Michael 'Swan' Beck's line: "when we saw the ocean we figured we were home, safe" is a nod to the famous "Thalatta, thalatta!" ("The sea, the sea!") line from Xenophon's 'Anabasis'.

-

In Xenophon's story; Greeks are recruited into Persian prince Cyrus's army to reclaim the throne from Artaxerxes; but when Cyrus is slain in battle, the campaign is rendered useless hence the story of a fighting fallback. In the movie, Cyrus's sucessful truce is rendered null & void after his assassination. All the dudes in this picture are about the most genteel, non-threatening bunch of gang bangers I've ever seen. Some of them are just very polite all things considered, even paying for their subway tickets and forming an orderly queue through the barrier (i.e. 'The Gladiators').

-

'The T-Birds' would kill em' all like Greased lightning, 'The Pink Ladies' could probably take em' on too, even Marky Mark and his 'Funky Bunch' would stand a fighting chance...actually no, even 'The Furies' could kick Marky Mark's ***. A young James Remar (Ajax) sells killer lines like: "those lousy skinhead ****s", "did we lose those ****ing clowns yet?" and "what's the matter: you going faggot?" A line which has an audible clang of irony, coming as it does from a guy who spends all his time around dudes with a penchant for wearing matching outfits, tight jeans and no vests.

-
"We're tough, see: Its November, we live by the coast and we don't need vests: THAT'S how tough we are, amigo!"

Fresh faced gang legend Cyrus is like a cross between Barrack Obama & Harry Belafonte in a bath robe: "Miracles are the way things ought to be!" What a guy!

-

You had African American Kung-Fu masters 'The Riffs' (Cyrus was their leader), lipstick lesbians 'The Lizzies', mimes (WTF?) 'The Hi Hats', snazzy soul brothers 'The Boppers', sharp dressing cats 'The Saracens', 'Black Panther'-esque paramilitaries 'The Panzers' and a host of others. Loved how 'The Warriors' battle home was accompanied by the dulcet tones of the Gramercy 'Riffs' DJ: putting out the word on 'The Warriors' always followed by an appropriate song. Some of the deleted scenes were excellent, particularly part of Cyrus's speech about detrimental youth centres etc and where Warrior Cleon selects the nine who'll go to the meeting. The only thing I would've done differently was cast Val Kilmer as Swan, Michael Beck was great in his role but both actors are very similar with Kilmer having the slight edge.

-
The Warrior who never was?

-
Underrated Deborah Van Valkenburgh as Mercy; who's alleged promiscuity prompts Swan's memorable putdown: "Why don’t you just tie a mattress to your back?". So not content with being war chief, Swan now thinks he's Oscar Wilde in Levis!

'The Warriors' boasts a unique visual style which emphasises the comic book feel; achieved to great effect by director Walter Hill, in fact, his actual comic book transitions aren’t all that necessary, since we get the idea, though I presume he did them to give the film an episodic, pulp fiction quality. I've seen this movie twice in a week so far, looks like its well on its way to becoming one of my favourite 70s movies, though its difficult to say why; for nothing much happens: 'The Warriors' fight some other equally ludicrous gangs, run, catch the train, run from some cops, beat up some cops, catch the train and so on. But its all done with such verve, pace and forward momentum that you can't help but be taken along for the ride; cheering these hapless, wannabe tough guys on their perilous journey home.

-

If you're looking for a gritty, accurate portrayal of the NY underworld; look elsewhere. If you're looking for 100 minutes of vibrant escapism and a drive-in movie style gang picture, then watch 'The Warriors': "CAAAAN YOU DIG IT?"

[ 07. March 2009, 18:37: Message edited by: Kash ]

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eddie Wilson
Rewind Guru
Member # 169

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Eddie Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if I found this funny or offensive...I say that cuz I love the Warriors
Posts: 711 | From: Fort Worth, Texas, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my all time favourite movies. I might be hard pressed to find a movie that I've watched more times than this one.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie Wilson:
I don't know if I found this funny or offensive...I say that cuz I love the Warriors

Hopefully a bit of both, seriously, 'The Warriors' is a great movie, no doubt about it; but one that plays out with tongue planted firmly in cheek IMO.For though you're totally invovled with the story you're just as aware of how exaggerated and hyper stylised it all is. There's an undercurrent of quality 70s exploitation pictures like 'Foxy Brown', 'Switchblade Sisters' or 'Coffy'.

Which version is better: this or the theatrical cut?

[ 07. March 2009, 18:59: Message edited by: Kash ]

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh....The Warriors. Great flick. I know I've said this before, but I'll mention it again....we named our corny little gang, "The Warriors" when we were like 10 years old after watching this movie. The good old days.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kash,

Yet another "highbrow" review. It's nice to know that there are those who still read the old works. I myself am not familiar with the writings/works of Xenophon, or Xenophon Anabasis "Defeat of Ten Thousand Greek Mercenaries in Iran"... It does look interesting though. I wonder how many movies have these ties to older works like this...

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
Thanks doc, I don't get much time to read those anymore, but it always makes me smile when I hear about someone blaming movies or video games for societal violence, when those Greek classics are amongst some of the most insanely violent works ever written. 'Anabasis' isn't actually that good IMO, it's no 'Antigone' or 'The Trial & Death Of Socrates'. I'm always a bit disappointed that the two great civilisations of their time (Greece & Persia) hated each other's guts; just imagine if they'd worked together.

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, they could have conquered the Romans... [Big Grin]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I could cackle like a chicken as good as Mercy did right before the Warriors made the Orphans look like a bunch of chumps.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
Mercy's mouthing off started that rumble, the Warriors had negotiated their way through but the Orphans leader was made to look like an idiot (they were a particularly rubbish outfit) and that's when it all kicked off.
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be fair it hardly kicked off with the Orphans. Basically the warriors petrol bombed a car then ran away...

Looking Good Noms, All The Way Back To Coney [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
[Smile] "Sh1t! The chicks are packed! The chicks are packed!" [Big Grin]
Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
True, though it put paid to all their tact & negotiations; I suppose they had to run because they were so heavily outnumbered (even if it was by a small fry gang).

More innocent times doc, it took the Warriors that long to figure out they were in a roomful of angry lesbians, nowadays one look at The Lizzies leader would set the alarm bells ringing [Eek!]

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

But Rembrandt the most desperate of all the Warriors for female interaction wasn't too anxious to hook up with the Lizzies. Too bad he was with Cochise and Vermin, who neither are the sharpest knives in the drawer, at that moment and because of their indiscretion Rembrandt got cut on the arm.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home