iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Superheros/Role Models

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Superheros/Role Models
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one thing that I really miss so much, is that there are no role models for kids at all any more on tv. I just heard that they have now approved the f-word for tv...I thought that we had sunk to the bottom of the barrel, but this is probably the lowest point, I don't know what everyone is thinking, or why we think that this kind of life is what we need to be portraying on tv. I had role models...like Isis, but her alter ego-Andrea Thomas was a science teacher, The Bionic Woman, her real job was a teacher for 6-9 grade kids that probably would now be said to have had behaviorial problems, the six million dollar man was an astronaut, and they worked in cool jobs for the government (osi) and then I liked batgirl, and wonder woman-and charlie's angels, and there were so many shows, where they showed women in real jobs, who amounted to something, they were beautiful, but they had all their clothes on. I remember doing a 3rd grade report on the Bionic Woman. There is nothing positive on tv for kids, I mean I watched the American Music Awards last night, and watched Kid Rock totally destroy a good song. That isn't singing. I can't even tell what half the people are singing, and when I can tell what they are saying, it's like I am saying, did they just say what I think they said? It isn't right, how sleazy everything has become. People have no dignity anymore, no morals, everything goes, nobody cares. I feel so bad for kids not knowing anything but that. Does anyone else remember admiring people on tv and wishing they could be that person? There is no one worth idolizing on tv anymore. The money that people are paid is ridiculous, for what...garbage. I had posted about Kiss on here- they look mild any more compared to what else is going on. I wish I could go back...I wish everyone else cared about what was happening, enough to make it change.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MONSOON
Master Rewinder
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for MONSOON   Email MONSOON   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta go along with you on this isis... I always wished I was the Bionic man. Actually pretended that Id had a leg like his attached after Id been hit by a car. Music for the most part nowadays is absolute crap.Dont get me wrong there are some very talented musicians out there but unforunately they get overshadowed by the rubbish. Did you see Andre3000 of Outkast? You gotta admit that was old school Funk he was kickin out last night!Check out "Hey Ya" if you missed it. I thought it was great! Now his partner from Outkast that followed him... Same old same old ick.
Posts: 264 | From: Bainbridge , GA | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I actually did like the Outcast song, which totally surprised me..I was gonna change the channel then, and some how I heard the music, and was thinking "what's this?" I don't know what they were saying, but I liked the back ground stuff they were doing, and I liked that beat of that music. I never heard of Outcast before. The guy after him, was awful. Most music is anymore. I can not stand Pink as a person, but I do like the song Trouble, and I like how her voice sounded when she sang it at the awards. But, these people talk about writing music out of anger, and I think what are they so bummed out about, they are rich as can be, and can have anything they want, and they still want to whine and complain about everything. The person that makes me want to gag, is Lil Kim...she can't even sing, she is so nasty, and she has money like nobody's business, and she is a huge fur wearer-which makes me hate her even more, and she doesn't have any class at all, and she keeps getting more and more publicity, she is endorsing for Old Navy- cripe what the heck is going on.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Oh, I pretended I was bionic all the time, I could run like crazy. So I was in track and cross country. My brother and I use to race each other all the time, and we would do the sound effects and everything. I use to pretend we were playing Land of the Lost on our porch, and that we were getting chased by Grumpy, it was a blast. You could take your own imagination and have fun with stuff that you watched. I would pretend I was actually Isis, and pretend the wind was going to pick me up so I could fly, once I actually believed that I could, and my Dad said he thinks I feel off the curb and hit my head. I was like 7-9 years old then, so I was pretty light- it could happen. Right!!? We were always jumping off stuff too, and hanging in trees, that's what was fun about being a kid.
MONSOON
Master Rewinder
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for MONSOON   Email MONSOON   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Ill go along with that, Pink has a great voice its too bad that her music is generally rubbish. The only reason I know about Outkast is my oldest son. He listens to all that crap. I dont get it I never listened to anything like it. Now my youngest son is Rock and Roll all the way listens to more heavy metal than anything but hes into classic Rock as well. The next day I was reading that the torch had been passed from Madonna to Britney. What absolute horsesh1t! Britney couldnt hold Madonnas leather garter! Let alone compare talent wise to her.
We had some woods near us that wed go into and pretend we were in "Land Of The Lost" I dont think they have any good Saturday morning shows like they used to. Hell Schoolhouse Rock is the biggest reason I did as well as I did in school.
I swear it was the reason I got Multiplication down as well as I did.

Posts: 264 | From: Bainbridge , GA | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Yeah, they were talking about school house rock-on I love the 80's Stikes back, and the: I'm a bill on capitol hill, and conjunction junction, everyone was making fun of that stuff-but it worked, that person was a genius who thought that all up. Why do people think that kids would not still like that stuff. I don't know why more of the older shows aren't rerun. Because if that was so good, and there is nothing now..why can't we recycle it and live it all over again? I know TV Land and Nick at Nite play some older shows, but not all of them..like the variety shows. I think the old Solid Gold shows would be awesome to watch again. I remember loving Friday night videos. The videos were so cool, so was the music. I watched that dumb song Britney did at the beginning of the award show, and thought-she is nothing-the song was stupid, something about The Zone, but everything she sings sounds exactly the same. And everybody's butt is hanging out, enough- they all look the same, a butt is a butt, and who cares anymore-so someone has a great body- if that's all you've got going, you don't have much going at all. Having talent..is what it should be about, they can alter anyone's voice-if you've got the look, they can make you a star. Also if your willing to do "anything", I can't believe the stuff people will do for money. There is no amount of money to make me do 1 thing on that show Fear Factor-that show should be banned from tv, and Survivor- a friend of mine from high school designed the web site of Amber Brkich, and that show is dumb. Like as if, there really is any point to it, like who cares if you win-you go pose naked after it's over or write a book and are a millionaire one way or another, and nobody is going die in a few weeks eating rice. Check out the people in India, and see if they wouldn't be glad to have a pot of rice every day. Those people make me ill, they are such bawl babies...and I don't care what anyone says Reality Shows bite. They are nothing but crap, and stupid people are made out to be these idols..like The Bachlorette-that Trista-they were on the awards show-who the heck cares, who is she, she is actually unattractive-and her personality stinks-it's no wonder she had to find a guy like that, and I can't belive any of that stuff-it is so staged- does anyone believe that it is actually real??? I am getting ill thinking about it.
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isis9968: I agree with about half of your arguement, TV is pretty crap these days and music is catered for banner waving drones who forgot to take their rittalen. As for an absence of role models, I think role models still exisit, but they're not representing some of the values you seem to hold dear.

I loved reading the post about your childhood back in the 70s, the one thing that baffles me though; is why the free-thinkers of that era couldn't see out their 'revolution', especially since they 'overcame' the Nixon years, got real about Vietnam and genuinely seemed as if they wanted to make politics and America a more inclusive and tolerant place. How then could we be in the (and pardon my french) f***ed situation that we're in today? [Confused]

One of the main reasons they're are no real role models you recognise is because even in the 70's certain role models were acting in the spirit of definace against an imposed sense of conservative conventialism that wouldn't have been so bad had it not been laced with a tonne of hypocracy.

As for Birtney being the next Madonna [Big Grin] yeah right n...I kinda liked Pink up unitl she did her whole devil routine at the awards, Pink was pretty cool in a rebellious kinda way and I still dig most of her songs/views.

Nowadays prtty much everything is up for sale, morality, ethics, awareness and success, for ladies getting their kit off is the fast track to transient stardom, in fact I think I'm gonna go into the music business and introudce a whole new phenominion: music videos will now feature singers like Kylie and Holly Valance getting dressed instead of stripping off [Wink]

SOME UNLIKELY NEW ROLE MODELS FOR YOU TO CONSIDER Isis9968 (in no particualr order)

1) Harrison Ford (unafraid to speak the truth)
2) Eminem (because he says whats on his mind)
2) Denis Leary (see above)
3) Jeanine Garafalo (funny and articulate)
4) Martin Sheen (all round badass and the best president America never had)
5) Sean Penn (from paparazzi basher to Mr integrity)

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Kash,

Dennis Leary is a one of my friend's best friends.

I hate Eminem. So what if he speaks what's on his mind, his mind is one giant pile of crap. That's the whole problem, he is one screwed up individual, and for him to be influencing anybody is a shame. He has nothing positive to say, and he does nothing but make trouble, and people follow his lead.

I love Robert Redford, even though you haven't mentioned him and Paul Neuman, and Bono, I think those guys do alot of positive things for the world.

But, there is no place on tv that is showing strong families, that love each other, and want to spend more than 5 minutes in a room together.

The lyrics in music are hideous, there isn't a song that is out there now that doesn't talk about explicit sex, or killing someone, or has 10 different swear words in it. The videos are even more trashy.

I have said it before..shows like Little House on The Prairie, and all the futuristic shows, like Buck Rogers, even superhero shows, those are timeless shows that are undated, and they could hold up today, but people won't sit through them, they have to watch all this CGI garbage, and I don't get that.

I made my mom watch DieHard last night for the first time, and she loved it, and I was thinking as I watched it, that again, there were some great stunts done...you can't get those camera shots on a computer..they'd look fake. I like watching thriller type movies, and wondering how they did it. Now, I have seen how they are making The Haunted Mansion, and they do the behind the scenes stuff on just about every movie, so it takes all the mystic out of how the movies were done.

I don't understand why people like Bruce Willis and Sylvester Stallone aren't making movies- action movies, and go back to film a moving the way they used to-that's the other thing that has changed that I hate. I like watching a movie that feels like it could be real, like your right there watching it, now you feel like your on a carnival ride, and it is so hard to follow, and doesn't even feel like your watching anything that could even be slightly real.

I am so sick of Reality Shows.. I said on here before that I like the home improvement shows like Trading Spaces, but I just saw pictures in a magazine of some of the men off the shows, practically naked, what is wrong with people, no one has any class at all to them. And the home improvement shows have taken over everything now too, there is one of them on every channel. I saw this one show, and I am not sure of the name of it, but they were bleeping out the f-word on it, and the guy was talking like a total pig, and I thought what the heck is all that for, when your making an end table? I couldn't believe that, even if I thought the stuff they did was neat, who cares, they were disgusting and stupid, none of that was even funny.
People don't know how to tell a joke anymore without using the f-word. That's sad.

There was all that stuff in certain types of movies in the 70's and 80's, but not on regular tv, during the day, on every single channel. I mean I saw on the History Channel one night, they were doing a show on the history of Clevage..like, what is that?? I know what clevage is, but who cares about the history, it has been around since women have been-that's what was so dumb and meaningless. I don't understand anything about why there are so many people out there that go along with all this stuff, and think this stuff is ok.

Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats kinda [Cool] , Denis Leary is one of my all time fav stand-up acts next to the late/great Bill Hicks (who a mate of mine recently told me about), but for someone whose offended by the f-word (thats f*** btw [Wink] I doubt 'no cure for cancer' or 'Lock n' Load' are on your top 5 of fav videos (I wanna see 'Double Whammy' but everyone whose seen it says its no good, so...)

'Little House on The Prairie' is a top show [Big Grin] I loved the one where the Ingles want to adopt that kid, Willie, and his real dad shows up who only wants him back so that he can work on his farm and Willie does some Pacino style blind acting to psyche out his dad who doesn't want him anymore, thus the Ingles can adaopt him after all...thats just CLASSIC TV folks, just classic.

I know what you mean about CGI overkill (re: the matrix reloaded/revolutions) but I'm all for CG stuff as it doesn't place stuntpeople in any unecessary danger, nowadays no one should die making a movie, especially the s****y ones, I mean CG, when done well is uunoticable (see the nighttime tower block jump in M:12)

I agree about reality shows, the only logical next step is for them to have people killing each other live on TV 'Running Man', 'Battle Royale' style or just an on-the hour, prettified slaughter of the innocents...oh waitaminute I think they already have that one: its called the Iraq war.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Kash,

My friend's name is Eddie Brill, look his name up under Yahoo, he has his own website, it will take you to, on there, it tells the name of the comedy benefit he just taped with Dennis Leary hosting it.You can buy it on DVD, I think. It was to benefit children with cancer. Maybe that was one of the things you mentioned...but I am no fan of Dennis Leary's myself. Now this is weird, but in Eddie Murphy's Delirious I am not offended by the language, I think it's funny in that-the way he does it. And I loved Richard Pryor too. My favorite comedy show is Bill Cosby. I loved his one show he did, I think I used to watch it on HBO. I just hate the f-word being thrown in to stuff, just for a lack of a better word. Eddie's comedy is very intellectual.
He did a benefit for the women's abuse shelter in my hometown about 5 years ago, as a favor to me, and helped my mom, because she volunteered there. It was really cool. I remember in 1989, going to New York and we went to Caroline's, and Eddie got us in for free,(he was doing 2 shows there-and then did 2 more at other clubs within the same night-we went there too) when all these rich snobs were trying to buy their way in....We(me and my roommate-who went with me) walked right past them all, and it was so cool, cause in some of his routine he would say my name, in this one thing he did about people having bizarre names, mine is not bizarre, it's very common, so that's why he used it as an example of what to name your kid, it was neat. I loved walking around out on the boardwalk, after the show, cause all these people were asking him for his autograph. Just like at the benefit he did. And when him and Lew and Jeff came to the college on my birthday, they had the whole college sing me Happy Birthday. I was taken in through all these college students, and it was so awesome, I had my mom, my roommate, and another friend with me. The coordinator of the entertainment came and said when you get here, I am suppose to come get you and take you back immediately. Eddie got up and picked me up, and swung me around, in front of everyone, and nobody had a clue who I was. That was so awesome. He gave me a card for my birthday, and that was such a fun night. I am very proud to know him, and very lucky that he's my friend, and we have been friends for so many years. He is doing fantastic with the Letterman Show, check out his website. He does some tv shows in England, and is in a bunch of clubs over there. If anyone from there ever sees him, let me know!

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Isis! Stop buttering things up, and tell us what you REALLY feel! [Smile]
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like your sarcasm Steven. [Smile] I agree there is really nothing good on TV anymore. There's probably nothing that I would let my kids watch. Even most of the cartoons are violent and senseless. Glad we have DVDs and VHS's. That way someday if I have children I can show them what real entertainment is.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Ok Steven...what else do you want to know??? [Big Grin]
Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
sounds like you had a blast isis, this Eddie Brill fella sounds like a stand up guy, I'll be sure to look out for some of his gigs.

I love old school Eddie Murphy too, everything up to and including 'Life' but not counting 'BHC3' (as far as I'm concerned that and 'Grease 2' didn't happen) or the 'Nutty Professor' flicks. Eddie will make a comeback though, and I just hope its sooner rathur than later.

Denis Leary's humour is also intelectual, in fact, he's one of the few Americans (present company accepted of course) who understands irony, his acts are laced with satirical sideswipes at U.S apathy and self-obession. And thoguh he's an OK actor as well I'd like see him back on the mic doing more stand up shows.

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Kash....

Check his website out:

www.eddiebrill.com

It will tell you where he's performing, and his biography, he has done so much, tell me what you think.

Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
Thanks Isis...

I saw it, yeah its good, ya know I may even have seen him before at a taping of the comedy store or something like that, I will look out for Eddie Brill, he seems like 'a funny guy' Denis Leary still rules though, watch Lock n' Load Isis, if you like 'Dellerious' I gurantee you'll love it (unless you're offended by fat jokes, or sacreligios humour, or like dunkin donuts or maple nut crunch falvoured coffee...) [Razz]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home