iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » The Bay City Rollers and other Music Shows

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Bay City Rollers and other Music Shows
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to love variety shows, and music shows..like The Bay City Rollers, Sonny and Cher, Donny and Marie, Dance Fever, what happened to those type of shows too...I even liked watching Lawrence Welk with my Grandma.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a real embarrasing photo of me when I was a child - wearing a chunky-knit sweater (knitted by my grandmother no doubt - but not for me, but a much larger, fatter, imaginary sibling) and Bay City Rollers trousers, complete with tartan turn-ups and pocket trim.

At least, I hope that I have it.... AAAARGHHH! Where's that damn picture go??

I can sense blackmail coming down.... [Frown]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't be embarrassed Paul, everyone else was wearing the same outfit...You just are man enough to admit it, and I commend you for that. I thought the Bay City Rollers were hot!
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've obviously not seen this picture [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Well, if you get the nerve to post it, I might post mine of me in my Scooby Doo underoos!
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Now that's gotta be worth the small embarrassment on my part [Wink]
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

BTW isis, you still got them? [Eek!]
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Nope, that was my first training bra and underwear set, and I showed everybody, I didn't care, my Grandma got them for me. I do have the picture, I am lifting up my "Greenpeace" t-shirt and flashing everyone. That is a one time experience on my part too. I would kill to have my purple cow underwear, and my Donny Osmond purple socks!
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Oh, I take that back...when I was 16..my Grandparents were putting an indoor pool in their home, and before they put the building up-the pool went in first, and was filled, and it just so happened to be November, and freezing cold, and my Grandma said she'd give me $5 to dive in the pool, so I did it, in just my undergarments, and they took my picture doing that too.. I must have had a lot of guts back then, or maybe no brains at all. Which ever. So, there are pictures of me too, floating around, that I would like to forget about.
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

I'll probably get arrested for even thinking this, but if you ever feel like swapping....

[Big Grin] [Embarrassed] [Big Grin]

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isis9968's original post:
quote:
I used to love variety shows, and music shows..like The Bay City Rollers, Sonny and Cher, Donny and Marie, Dance Fever...what happened to those type of shows too...I even liked watching Lawrence Welk with my Grandma.
You are talking about what is known as the "prime-time music-variety shows". Other shows like that would be The Ed Sullivan Show, The Carol Burnett Show, Hee-Haw, Tony Orlando & Dawn, The Mandrell Sisters, etc.

Around 1987, Dolly Parton tried to revive the format by hosting her own show on ABC-TV. But it flopped, and last for only one year.

The last fairly decent music-variety show on network TV was "The Tracey Ullman Show" in the late 80's/early 90's.

Nowadays, music singers/bands come in all sorts of backgrounds, genres, and styles. Some artists don't want to be lumped into a certain group, while others don't want to appear on the same program with another act with a totally different style/genre.

I am convinced that the musical-variety shows on prime-time network TV is pretty much dead, and it is not likely to return. I would say the main reason for that is Cable-TV. TV programming has now become more specialized, that a general all-purpose music-variety show would not work today.

Also, I think the audience is more jaded, and more cynical now. A musical-variety show just isn't going to bring in as much people as it once did.

The only exception in this case might be the "talent shows" such as "American Idol", etc., that might be compared to the old "Star Search" show from the 80's.

"Saturday Night Live" doesn't count as a musical-variety show because it is on late-night and there is a guest (not permanent) host. Also, they specialize in more of comedy sketches, and not music numbers.

Late-night talk-shows with musical acts (ex: Leno, Letterman, Carson Daly, Jimmy Kimmel, etc.) don't count as "music-variety" acts either, because they are mostly interview and chat shows.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I should put my Underoo picture on here, nobody would ever know me, we should all get out old pictures, and stick on here, I just don't know how to. Paul why would you get arrested?????

I hate shows like American Idol, I have never watched an episode of that ever. I miss Real People, and That's Incredible, those shows are cool. They do a new version of Dance Fever, it was awful, people can't dance either any more, when was the last time you've seen a man and a woman dance in a nice outfit, and actually dance, not look like they are doing something else..that's all dancing is now.

I loved when John Travolta and Madeline Smith danced in Urban Cowboy! I love that movie.

mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To the girl with the Underoos...ME TOO!!! My mom got me the Batgirl bra and panty set. Theyw were purple with a yellow bat. I used to take off my shirt and jog around the block like that!!! I still WOULD if I had a hot little outfir like that!!! I know some womens lingerie company started making em and selling em for,like,$98 a set. NO THANKS!!! Maybe I'll get some decals and make my own.
Remember all those crazy KROFFT Variety Shows?(I think Bay City Rollers was prodeuced by The Krofft Brothers. Those guys were on something, no doubt!!!
I really hand it to any one who actually posts thier shame pictures on here!!!!

[ 23. September 2008, 05:02: Message edited by: mamamiasweetpeaches ]

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I loved Batgirl, she was my one of my favorites, I loved her outfit, and her red hair, and her secret changing room, and her purple motorcycle, she was awesome!
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just thought of another..ummmm...VARIETY SHOW? PINK LADY AND JEFF which is heralded as one of the worst tv shows of all time. Anyone ever see it? I caught an episode about a month ago on cable and it is as bad as they say! If not worse! Deborah Harry was the musical guest and even HER segment sucked!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home