iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Variety Shows

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Variety Shows
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was listening to the 70's radio station this morning, and they throw in little clips from different Tv shows from the 70's. They did one from Sonny and Cher...where they were talking to Bob Hope and he told them their show was in his top 7 favorite variety shows ...and they said there are only 7 variety shows...and he says ..he doesn't like to pick favorites.

I was trying to think who all had variety shows in the 70's...and why can't they do anything entertaining like that again.

Was Lawerence Welk a Variety Show? I just remember them singing on that show...but my Grandma loved him.

The Variety Shows that I could think of are:

Donny and Marie
Carol Burnett
Sonny and Cher
Hee Haw

Were the Muppets considered a variety show?

Was Solid Gold?

I always loved those shows, because they always had comedy, and singing and dancing, and celebrity guest stars.

When I think of who would be the stars of a variety show today...I cringe at the thought of it.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flip Wilson
Ed Sullivan
The Brady Bunch
Tony Orlando and Dawn

of course a lot depends on exactly what year that clip was from to determine what the 7 shows would have been

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PINK LADY AND JEFF? as awful as it was!

and I think THE BAY CITY ROLLERS had one.

say...didnt STARLAND VOCAL GROUP have one too???

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andy Williams.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the Bay City Rollers...they were on Saturday Mornings.

I loved Kaptain Kool and the Kongs on the Kroft Supershow.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:
PINK LADY AND JEFF? as awful as it was!

and I think THE BAY CITY ROLLERS had one.

say...didnt STARLAND VOCAL GROUP have one too???

Yep, The Starland Vocal Band had a short-lived musical-variety show during the summertime.
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe it or not, ABC-TV had a short-lived musical-variety show called "Saturday Night Live", but it's not the one with Chevy Chase, John Belushi, Gilda Radner, etc.

This particular SNL was hosted by...Howard Cosell! [Eek!]

It was broadcast the same year (1975) that NBC's SNL did, but Cosell's show came out a few weeks earlier.

The idea was that Cosell, who had no previous experience hosting a variety show, could be the next Ed Sullivan. And for that reason, Cosell got his first musical guest, the Bay City Rollers, and called them "the next Beatles"! [Mad]

Ironically, Bill Murray and Billy Crystal had small parts in this show, long before they hooked up with NBC's SNL.

When Cosell's show was cancelled after a few weeks, NBC got permission to switch their show title from "NBC's Saturday Night", to the SNL we all know now.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vashti1999
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1837

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for vashti1999   Email vashti1999   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surprised no one mentioned The Captain and Tenille. I have a best-of of some of the episodes of their show on dvd, as well as collections of Sonny & Cher and Tony Orlando & Dawn. I think there's supposed to be a Donny & Marie dvd collections released soon too. Tha Jacksons also had a variety show for a limited run. If i remember correctly **** van Dyke had one in the 70s called Van Dyke and Company.
Posts: 60 | From: New York City | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
I seem to remember ISIS and I talking about those musical-variety shows back in 2003!

Here's the link:
http://www.fast-rewind.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000065#000011

mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow....you just KNOW thats an old post. Instead of calling Isis "Isis" I refer to her as "The Girl With The Underoos". Hahahahaha!

She never DID show us those pictures! Oh well.

I just thought of another one we missed (I think): BARBARA MANDRELL and THE MANDRELL SISTERS.

Come to think of it...SHA NA NA had one too!

I remember VIVIDLY watching those - along with SOLID GOLD - with my cousin. Feels like only yesterday!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vashti1999
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1837

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for vashti1999   Email vashti1999   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:

Come to think of it...SHA NA NA had one too!

That's a great catch. How could I forget Sha Na Na, that was a favorite of mine too. Man I feel old, lol.
Posts: 60 | From: New York City | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I can't believe I forgot about Sha Na Na- since I saw them in concert last December, and I loved The Captain and Tenille.

That's hystercial about the Underoos.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home