iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » what about 70's Music? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: what about 70's Music?
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually love the music of the 70's better than the 80's.

I saw this infomercial for Time Life. Air Supply was hosting it...they have a great collection of 70's soft rock hits. I want them.

But...I was wondering...does anyone ever buy CDs anymore?????

We just bought my son an IPOD for his birthday...I am sure everyone on the planet has had one before us...but they are awesome things, the sound quality coming from them ...totally blew me away.

He got an I-Tunes Gift card, and it is crazy that you can go find any song you want and download it on those things....

so with that being the way alot of people get music...I wondered if anyone ever bought actual CDs anymore?

I got him to get the songs ...You Can do Magic'America", and Biggest part of Me-Ambrosia

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ISIS,

Most people who buy CDs rip MP3's out of them and then play them on their MP3 player. A lot of newer cars have stereos that will play MP3's via a CD or by being plugged into an accessory port. I have entire collections burned to CDs. You can fit 100 or more MP3 songs on a CD. This all depends on what quality you ripped them at i.e. 128k, 320k etc...

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still buy CD's. But I do not have a mp3 player.
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only buy CD's that are super rare and I can't find the songs on LimeWire or other filesharing sites. By the way, You Can Do Magic is my favorite song by America. Now I have to listen to it because it's in my head.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to mention... I have found outstanding deals on old collections of CDs on ebay, and half.com. You can use the search agent from this website to search both... [Smile]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still buy record albums. I just bought a collection of Van Halen 45 records for in my jukebox. But, it's weird that CDs were the new thing that put records and cassettes and especially 8 tracks..out of business....so now MP3's and IPOD are pretty much doing the same thing to CDs....because you can get anything you want through the internet now.

80'sRocked-I love "America"...they are coming near me in concert in July...I'd like to go, but nobody wants to go with me. I always loved the song "Sister Golden Hair".

I love 70's soft rock....

some of my favorites are:

Baby Come Back-Player
Make it with you-Bread
You are the Woman-Firefall (I just saw them in concert recently)
You're the only Woman-Ambrosia
How Much I Feel-Ambrosia
We Don't Talk Anymore-Cliff Richard
Dreamin-Cliff Richard
I Go Crazy-Paul Davis

I love anything by :

Seals and Croft
England Dan and John Ford Cooley
Fleetwood Mac
Bread

and the Bee Gees are my all time favorite band.

[ 06. June 2008, 19:15: Message edited by: ISIS ]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 70a had the widest range of diversity of any other decade as far as music goes. Great rock, disco, good country music (not like the pop junk that passes itself off as country you find today), great soul and funk music, etc I listen to the 70's channel on my digital cable more than any other music channel.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I use to like 70's country too...and I liked Country Music going in to the 80's....but I hate Country Music today. I hate that song that is out now by Carrie Underwood...about her not even knowing her last name. She was such a cute girl, and seemed very innocent and now they have her totally trashed out in the way she looks and the type of lyrics she sings.

I liked the older country songs like...

Coward of the County -Kenny Rogers

and I liked Ronnie Milsap and I loved Alabama.

Richman
Rewind Curious
Member # 7113

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Richman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite 70's songs are Andy Kim's "Rock me Gently"(before the commercial came out"
Kanas, "Dust in the Wind" "Dream Weaver"
and Exile's # hit and the "escape song has grown on me over the years

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lloyd_Dobler
Senior Rewinder
Member # 7119

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Lloyd_Dobler   Email Lloyd_Dobler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only buy CDs if I cannot get the song or artist on Itunes. For example, you cannot buy any song by Don Henley on Itunes. I went and bought his latest 'greatest hits' CD and then ripped it to my Ipod. I love Don Henley.
Posts: 64 | From: Renton, WA | Registered: Jun 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yesteryear67
Rewind Curious
Member # 7386

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Yesteryear67   Email Yesteryear67   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's a band I really like, I'll purchase the CD just to experience the album as a whole with the songs in the same sequence as the musicians intended them to be heard. I enjoy looking at the CD covers and reading liner notes. To me, a CD by one of my favourite bands is like a piece of art - something to be treasured.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still buy CDs, but not as much as I used to. I don't have an Ipod, but I do have Itunes downloaded on my computer, so I just make mixes. Also, since I got my satellite radio, I don't listen to the CD player very much and I don't listen to regular radio at all. When I buy a CD now, it has to be something I really, really want, like the new Metallica.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iTunes is all 128 kbps AAC files, which are compressed and tinny. I prefer getting mp3's from Amazon which are usually 256 or 320 kbps and have no DRM incorporated into the file. But for music I really care about, I buy the CD to get it uncompressed. There is no comparison between a properly mastered, uncompressed CD and an AAC/MP3/WMA file. The problem is people have gotten so used to listening to music on earbud headphones and computer speakers, that they have no ear for the difference in sound quality. Plus, most modern recordings have no dynamic range because of the way they get mastered, with the volume jacked to the max and everything hard limited and clipped to death. Taken in tandem, people have gotten so conditioned to hearing compressed, metallic-sounding audio that they really can't tell much difference anymore. And radio doesn't help much either - they compress their signals almost to the point of obliteration. I love my iPod - it's a wonderful convenience - and I enjoy listening to music on my computer while I work - but when I want to do any serious listening I throw the CD (or SACD) into my home stereo. I still buy CD's all the time. Even if they eventually start selling uncompressed WAV or FLAC files online, I'll still probably buy a lot of CD's just as hard copy backups.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
I love 70's soft rock....

some of my favorites are:

Baby Come Back-Player
Make it with you-Bread
You are the Woman-Firefall (I just saw them in concert recently)
You're the only Woman-Ambrosia
How Much I Feel-Ambrosia
We Don't Talk Anymore-Cliff Richard
Dreamin-Cliff Richard
I Go Crazy-Paul Davis

I love anything by :

Seals and Croft
England Dan and John Ford Cooley
Fleetwood Mac
Bread

and the Bee Gees are my all time favorite band.

Some of my favorites are:

Fooled Around and Fell in Love - Elvin Bishop
Magnet and Steel - Walter Egan
Ebony Eyes - Bob Welch
Precious Love - Bob Welch
Kiss You All Over - Exile
I Love You - Climax Blues Band
Right Down the Line - Gerry Rafferty
Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty
I Can't Tell You Why - Eagles
My Love - Paul McCartney & Wings
Dream Weaver - Gary Wright
Love Is Alive - Gary Wright
Miracles - Jefferson Starship
Come and Get Your Love - Redbone
Stuck in the Middle with You - Stealer's Wheel
Still the One - Orleans
Year of the Cat - Al Stewart
Love Will Keep Us Together - Captain & Tennille
Right Back Where We Started From - Maxine Nightingale
Hot Child in the City - Nick Gilder
Lady - Little River Band
How Long - Ace
Drift Away - Dobie Gray
Jump Into the Fire - Nilsson
Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot
What a Fool Believes - The Doobie Brothers
Doctor My Eyes - Jackson Browne
Running on Empty - Jackson Browne
Dancin' in the Moonlight - King Harvest
Driver's Seat - Sniff 'n' the Tears
I'm Not in Love - 10cc
Tonight's the Night (Gonna Be Alright) - Rod Stewart
Rich Girl - Hall & Oates
Sara Smile - Hall & Oates
When the Morning Comes - Hall & Oates
Stumblin' In - Suzi Quatro & Chris Norman
Lonely Boy - Andrew Gold
Lights - Journey
Walk on the Wild Side - Lou Reed
Magic - Pilot
Rock Me Gently - Andy Kim
Rhinestone Cowboy - Glen Campbell
And nearly everything by Steely Dan

Btw, "You Can Do Magic" is actually an '80s song - it was released in 1982.

Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by journey:
iTunes is all 128 kbps AAC files, which are compressed and tinny. I prefer getting mp3's from Amazon which are usually 256 or 320 kbps and have no DRM incorporated into the file.

Hey Journey and everyone else out there. I use this site for mp3's also. Much cheaper than Amazon and they too have a good bitrate:

http: // mp3fiesta. com /

[ 18. September 2008, 01:14: Message edited by: Paul Dangerously, you iceholes.... ]

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other night Iw as in the kitchen doing something and my husband was sort of mad I was ignoring him. He was channel surfing and he found an infomercial hosten by REO SPEEDWAGON's lead singer for '70s & '80s ballads and power hits. He had it on LOUD thinking it would be good cheese to lure "the mouse" out of the kitchen. I wasn't playing along though.

Well, they played it AGAIN last night and I sat there and watched the whole thing! Granted, I have no intention of BUYING the set (I have about 95% of the songs already)...but I think I just wanted to listen to the music, see what tracks I DIDN'T have, and look at the singer from REO pitch (My friend swears if you throw a shawl on him he looks JUST like a little old lady!)

My husband walked into the room, implyed he would buy it for me and then saw the price! I said "Im sure these companies made A LOT OF MONEY before the internet made it possible for people to download this stuff (I know I used to buy all those RAZOR & TIE compilations).

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I saw that infomercial. That is a great mix of songs. The one that the guys from Air Supply hosts is great too.

I have alot of those songs too...but some I don't.

There are so many 70's songs out there that I know I have forgotten about...I heard one the other day in the grocery store...and I thought I'd remember it to look it up...but I forgot it.

Lots of times I grab paper and start writing down the lyrics so I can look it up. I have been kicking myself for not doing that.

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you get stuff from amazon, remember to use the link from this site to Amazon, then we get some credit and a few pennies at the end of the month - same goes whatever you are buying......

And as for 70s music? Not for me. Just don't get it anywhere near as much as I did 80s stuff.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh I love 70s and 80s about equally. Like ISIS said a lot of that '70s stuff I've forgotten about or don't know who sings it though so that stops me from getting ALL the stuff I want.

In New York we have CBSFM radio 9they used to have Cousin Brucie!) and they always play oldies so i always have that on in my kitchen and when they play a "nugget" I somehow forgot about I jot it down. This week I downloaded

PABLO CRUISE - Love Will find A Way (I always thought HALL & OATS did this song - hahaha)

CHARLIE RICH - Did You Happen To See The Most Beautiful Girl In The World

NEIL DIAMOND - Cracklin Rosie

VAN MORISSON - Domino

THE BOXTOPS- Cry like A Baby

and a few other ones

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Well, now I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the AIR SUPPLY infomercial!

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by 80'sRocked:
quote:
Originally posted by journey:
iTunes is all 128 kbps AAC files, which are compressed and tinny. I prefer getting mp3's from Amazon which are usually 256 or 320 kbps and have no DRM incorporated into the file.

Hey Journey and everyone else out there. I use this site for mp3's also. Much cheaper than Amazon and they too have a good bitrate:

http: // mp3fiesta . com/

80'sRocked,

I did a little digging about mp3fiesta for you... It's an illegal Russian site. You should check this out:

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/557853

If you paid with your credit card directly you may want to cancel the card and have a new one issued to you. These Russian sites are well known for stealing from people.

Hope this helps...

- jdoc ;-)

[ 18. September 2008, 01:14: Message edited by: Paul Dangerously, you iceholes.... ]

80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks for the info Jdoc.
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just edited the above posts to remove the clickable links. Didn't want anyone clicking through from here to anything that was a) illegal, and b) could cost you a lot of money.....
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
My daughter's birthday is coming up so I went on the BILLBOARD website to look at the charts to get some ideas on what kind of music to play at her party. I know this is a matter of opinion but WOW - MUSIC TODAY SUCKKKKS! NELLY? SUGARLAND?PARAMORE?LADY GAGA?THE TING TINGS? No thanks!
About the only thing on there I could stand to listen to for more than 10 seconds was CASCADA...and a lot of THEIR songs are remakes!

80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:
NELLY? SUGARLAND?PARAMORE?LADY GAGA?THE TING TINGS?

Who? I never heard of any of these bands.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home