iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Carrie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Carrie
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched it on Fox Classics. It's truly an astonishing film, definately my favorite of all DePalma films.

Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie were tremendous and the supporting cast (John Travolta, Amy Irving, Nancy Allen) were just as good.

DePalma's direction and cinematography were first rate, particularly the use of split screens during the carnage at the prom. The close up of Carrie on one half of the screen as she locked the doors, and the other half of the screen showing the doors closing and trapping her classmates inside - wow.

Another great scene was the death of Margaret White at Carries hands (or should I say her mind) in a bizarre mimicry of the statue of Christ in Carrie's closet. Mrs White was basically crucified in a doorframe by various knives, and stuck with numerous knives and spatulas. Definately an appropriately ironic death for a religious nut.

Overall, Carrie is an amazing film, let down only by a silly shock ending which I won't describe here, but it's very out of place.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love that movie. I remember one of my best friends name was Kerri (sounds the same , spelled different), and she spent the night at my house when we were in the 7th grade, and Carrie was playing on HBO, and that's the first time I had seen it. The shower scene at the beginning was pretty freaky, because I remember having to take showers in gym class...and we all hated it, now they make them optional...but they were mandatory when I was in school, but how scary was what happened to her?? I always liked Betty Buckley...I thought they should have left her make it out of the gym. I liked Nancy Allen and PJ Soles in this movie, even though they were total snobs, they played the part well. I just saw Sissy Spacek in North Country...she played Charlize Theron's mom, and boy did she look old. I saw Amy Irving in Hide and Seek, and I didn't even recognize her. I always thought Amy Irving was cute-I liked her in Micki and Maude and Honeysuckle Rose.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the movie Carrie. It is such a classic. The whole way the movie looks and the feel really captures the 70's vibe perfectly. The movie Prom Night is similiar in that way. Good stuff though!
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home