iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Mr. Jaws

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mr. Jaws
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG! Today I was listening to the 70's on the XM Radio, and this song came on, and I had totally forgotten about it, does anyone remember it??

We are here on the beach where a giant shark has just eaten a girl swimmer
Well Mr. Jaws, how was it?
Dynomite
And what did she say when you grabbed her?
Please Mr. Please
I know sharks are stupid, but what did you think when you took that first bite?
How sweet it is
Mr. Jaws, before you swim out to sea, have you anything else to say?
Why cant we be friends, why cant we be friends?
With me now is the local sheriff.
Sheriff Brody, the shark will be back for lunch. What do you intend to do?
Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight
Just arriving is oceanographer Matt Hooper.
Sir, if someone is attacked by a shark, what should they do?
Do the hustle
We are going aboard the fishing boat of Captain Quint.
Captain, will you be able to catch this giant shark?
I will, I will, I will (thank you, captain) I will (captain!)
I will (captain!) I will (captain!)
When you catch one of these sharks, what do you feel like?
Like a Rhinestone Cowboy
Weve just sighted the shark again. Hes coming straight for us.
Captain Quint is shouting something at him.
Get you baby one of these nights
Hey Jaws, the captain says hes going to catch you.
What do you think of that?
Jive talkin
Uh-oh, here he comes again!
(Gun shots)
Theyve hit him! Mr. Jaws, why doesnt anything seem to hurt you?
Big boys dont cry, big boys dont cry
Hes coming right onto the boat! Mr. Jaws, why are you grabbing my hand?
Wouldnt you give your hand to a friend?
No wait! Mr. Jaws! Thats not the way this record is supposed to end!
Help! Help!
(Drowning noises)

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember it well. I had the 45 of it and drove my parents crazy playing it over and over.
Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember it. All the sharks answers were snippets from hit songs.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just bought the 45 record off Ebay. I read it to my son, and he thought it sounded funny, and I don't have it on anything, they sure don't do comedy type songs any more either.

I loved Junk Food Junkie, and Purple People Eater, The Monster Mash, Spiders and Snakes, and Muddah Fuddah...they were so funny, I think over time people have lost their sense of humor, I am totally convinced of it.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OhmyGod, my sister had that 45 too! I remember I always stole it and played it. I think my favorite part was the shark saying "Dy-No-Mite!"
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
My friend sent it to me on an MP3 this morning! It cracked me up. (I still have the 45 record coming though..it will be cool to just keep it)

My son was singing it this morning...He kept sing...I will, I will, I will....and Big Boys don't Cry, Big Boys don't Cry....it was cute because stuff like that... it totally puts you in a good mood. That's what I like, is getting hyped up over stuff, being happy about something that is funny, and laughing about it with other people.

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ISIS:

I barely remember this one. It was a hit back in the 70's, shortly after the movie came out, but I have not heard it since. (I don't have satellite radio)

It was done by a guy named D|ckie Goodman, who recorded lots of comedy/novelty stuff by mixing then-current hit singles back in the 60's and 70's, and used topical subjects back in the day.

He died in 1989, but his son is helping to carry on his father's legacy by releasing a CD collection of his works and updating with today's movies, songs, and TV shows.

ISIS, if you're interesting in reading more about Goodman, click here:
http://www.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2002/june/novelty/

Hope this helps! [Smile]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I checked it out-thanks Steven...My son thinks Mr. Jaws is the coolest song. I have probably played it for him 10 times since I first played it.

It is a bummer ****ie Goodman died in 1989.
I guess he didn't want to leave the 80's either. Total bummer.

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
guess he died from a self inflicted gunshot which is sad.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Wow...I didn't see his cause of death, holy cow...that's horrible. The comedy he was doing, was a Weird Al type of comedy.

I have a friend who's a stand up comic, and he told me that most comedians in real life are very unhappy and very depressed. Comedy is an outlet for them for their other emotions. Sad stuff.

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ISIS:

These kind of comedy recordings were called "break-in" records. This was using several songs from other people can be used in one setting for another recording.

These days, I don't know if anyone could make a comedy bit like "Mr. Jaws" today, but not for the reasons that you were thinking of. It's more of all the legal stuff like getting permissions, licensing, and clearances, etc.

I also remember another break-in recording called "Convention '72", which was not made by Goodman, but it copied his style. I think I might have it somewhere in my 45 rpm collection.

I'll find the words to that one and post it up on another thread.

In the meantime, click here:
http://user.pa.net/~ejjeff/conven72.html

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home