iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » THE FURY (Amy Irving, Kirk Douglas)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: THE FURY (Amy Irving, Kirk Douglas)
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of those Horror movies that whenever I see its on TV I watch it (I should really just buy the dvd at this point!)
It's about kirk Douglas looking for his son who has telekenises and can communicate with Amy Irving, who also has telekenises. (Sort of CARRIE-ish really)
This movie is probably best known for having people die in very bloody, violeny ways.
Anyone else remember it?

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeltaDeadDawn
Rewinder
Member # 4547

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for DeltaDeadDawn   Email DeltaDeadDawn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes i remember that movie, for some reason i hated it it was boring to me and i thought that the remake would suck too but it was Ok...did u see the remake yet?
Posts: 37 | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO. WAS THERE ONE??????????????
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just rewatched this interesting film. I recalled that it´s dry, long and boring but it felt much better this time.

Lots of fantastic scenes and moments throughout the movie, nice Richard H. Kline cinematography and beautiful John Williams score.
De Palma really had the music department covered during the 70s.

The cast did a fine job but while i agree that Kirk Douglas was in great shape, i still felt that he was a bit too old for the role.

-

The Fury is a good movie but not the masterpiece it could have been.
John Farris did the screenplay based on his own book and i know that he had to leave lots of stuff out.
There´s few clumsy scenes (the car chase) and i don´t buy the behaviour during the final scene(s). Feels so wrong.

All in all, good movie but could have been bigger and better.
Check out the Arrow blu which includes cool interviews plus the fun Sam Irvin shortie Double Negative (1985).

Posts: 6734 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Legend
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always liked The Fury for what it is, a popcorn thriller. It is extremely well directed. I used to tell people that it's the best directed movie with a crummy screenplay ever. And that is indeed one of John Williams's best scores. Acting is fine too. I loved William Finley's seedy bit. Overall, DePalma moves the plot along like a freight train--which is good because if you stopped for a second, the plot holes would swallow up the film. (Why does Andrew Stevens fall off a building when a few scenes earlier, we saw that he has the ability to levitate? ROFL)

In the recent DePalma documentary, DePalma himself admits that it's not his best work but that some stuff in it is good. It's pretty clear that DePalma was offered it after Carrie because of the telekinesis angle to the plot. That this basically big studio hack piece turned out so well is to the credit of DePalma and his cast and crew.

Posts: 1874 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finley´s role should´ve been bigger, such fun sweaty fella [Big Grin] I know that they shot a scene where they killed the character but didn´t use it.
Posts: 6734 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Legend
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finley was wonderful in everything. He was almost like DePalma's good luck charm there for a while. aTomiK, you really need to check out the "lost" DePalma film Dionysus in '69. Finley is so good.

Here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPu2EdoVXpo

Posts: 1874 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Master Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw "The Fury" a while back in Anamorphic Widescreen, and was blown away - pun not intended, LOL. Superb film, and the telekenesis angle was really well done - the scenes when the Amy Irving character made people bleed after touching them was horrific. And, the ending scene was truly mind-blowing : ) It's seems that the Canadian horror director David Cronenberg (who I'm also a huge fan of, though that's another thread) may have "borrowed" some ideas from The Fury which made their way into Scanners, which came out a couple of years later.

The film also had some humor: The character Mother Knuckles was hilarious - especially funny was when she was very deferential & nice to the Kirk Douglas character who had broken into their apartment, while her son?! and daughter-in-law were uncomfortably bound nearby - LOL.

The "shinola" shoe-polish reference in the above scene (when Kirk D. was putting this in his hair as a disguise) also brought to mind the old expression, "You don't know ^%$% from shinola" - ha ha

[ 07. April 2017, 17:50: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 310 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home