iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » The Andromeda Strain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Andromeda Strain
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched this yesterday on Fox Classics. Very good film.

It starts off quite shockingly with dead bodies lying in the streets of a small town, including children, something I was very suprised to see.

The plot of the film is basically a team of scientists trying to find a cure to a strange possibly alien virus that has infected a small town in New Mexico.

It's quite a slow film, but never drags as the sci-fi elements of the scientists work is very interesting. The effects in the film are excellent for 1971.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched The Andromeda Strain (1971).

I liked it very much, excellent "true" science fiction so no space monsters or lightsabers here.
Yes, it´s slow but there´s always something interesting going on. Loved the special effects and settings - Douglas Trumbull was a genius.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a criminally underrated 70s sci-fi film. It's great because it is indeed "true" science fiction. It is well written and very believable. People don't really talk about him much, but director Robert Wise had an amazing, stunningly diverse career: The Body Snatcher, Curse of the Cat People, West Side Story, The Haunting, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Sound of Music, The Andromeda Strain, and Star Trek: The Motion Picture. That's seriously one heckuva career! One of the all-time greats.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rewatched this the other year and was blown away by it. Slow in a great way and soooo tense!
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so realistic. It even had a woman scientist who looked normal and not like Raquel Welch. [Smile] And that last bit is really tense. But then again, Robert Wise directed The Haunting, which has a couple of all-time great heart stopping moments.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
Just so realistic. It even had a woman scientist who looked normal and not like Raquel Welch. [Smile]

Hooray! [Smile]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
It's a criminally underrated 70s sci-fi film. It's great because it is indeed "true" science fiction. It is well written and very believable. People don't really talk about him much, but director Robert Wise had an amazing, stunningly diverse career: The Body Snatcher, Curse of the Cat People, West Side Story, The Haunting, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Sound of Music, The Andromeda Strain, and Star Trek: The Motion Picture. That's seriously one heckuva career! One of the all-time greats.

Certainly is a cracking bunch of films there!
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The woman scientist was a nice addition, i recall that in the book it was a male character.
The running out of time sequence is rather typical in many films but it was done well here.

The original Stark Trek is probably the best of the Trek films and i also like Hindenburg very much.

Just ordered The Haunting but what about Audrey Rose, worth picking up?

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Audrey Rose is ok, I remember it being more of a drama than a horror, but not bad. Haunting is in another league though. I love Robert Wise.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
The Haunting is one of those movies that is so well done, in a matter-of-fact style, that it makes the supernatural believable. And it's really scary too!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home