iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » TV Film based on Guardian Angels

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TV Film based on Guardian Angels
Mason Storm
Rewind Curious
Member # 4458

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Mason Storm   Email Mason Storm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi I'm new to this site so I hope I'm asking this question in the right place?

I remember watching what looked like a film made for TV many years ago, the story seemed loosly based on how the Guardian Angels were formed (The volunteer organisation that patrols american cities and subways)

Does anyone know what the film was called? I have no idea who the actrors were as it was so long ago that I watched it.

From what I remember the film is based in the Bronx during what looked like the Seventies. A teenage guy is fed up with the intimidation and fear that local citizens feel caused by all the gangs that have taken over the city. He works at a burger bar and dicides to organise some friends into a group of people that will volntarily patrol the subway to try and make people feel safe again.

The only other thing I remember is that one of the members of the group teaches the rest of them Kung Fu to give them some basic self defense knowledge, it looked like Wing Chun Kung Fu.

Any ideas - I could be wrong about which decade the film was shot as it could be early Eighties.

Posts: 6 | From: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, that is wicked! I was thinking about this movie just yesterday! How insane. I remember watching it in the late '70s and thought it was super cool. I even bought a red beret' from an army/navy store and would walk around pretending I was one of them. I remember the scene where they were initiating one of them and the person had to run through a gauntlet of other members who beat them with belts and stuff and if they made it through they were in the group.
I can't remember the name of the movie at all. I want to say that it had the word "Standing" in it...like "standing tall" or "still standing" or "standing tough." I could be wrong.
If you ever get ahold of a copy of this let me know because I would love to see it again.
The Guardian Angels just set up a chapter here in Dallas this past year and started patrolling and organizing neighborhood watch groups. I think that is sooooo cool.
Oh, and by the way...I like your Steven Segul Rewind name.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mason Storm
Rewind Curious
Member # 4458

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Mason Storm   Email Mason Storm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bionic Bigfoot, it's good to hear someone else actually remembers this film, no one else that I mention it to remembers it. If I ever find out what the film is or if I get a copy I'll let you know.

I don't suppose you remember any of the actors in it?

Posts: 6 | From: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, I was brainstorming all night trying to remember the name of that movie. Just a while ago I closed my eyes and started thinking back and WHAM!...it came to me...."We're Fighting Back" was the name of it.
I can't believe I still had that title tucked away in the back of my mind like that from the '70s.
I think you are the first person I've heard mentione that movie in over 25 years.
Now we need to get our hands on a copy of it!!!!

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
I just looked it up on IMDB and "We're Fighting Back" is definately the title. I didn't recognize any of the actor's names in it except Ellen Barkin. It shows that the movie was aired in 1981.
I tried finding it on Amazon & e-bay but it doesn't look like it was ever released on VHS or DVD. That sucks.

Mason Storm
Rewind Curious
Member # 4458

Rate Member
Well done mate, I didn't think I would ever find the name of the film. Yes it sucks if it was never released on VHS or DVD, but at least you managed to remember the name after 25 years which is a prety amazing achievement. At least I can keep an eye open for it in case they show it again on TV.

I'd buy you a beer if you weren't over the other side of the pond.

Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
Thanks, Storm. And by the way... welcome to the Rewind. I hope you stick around.
Mason Storm
Rewind Curious
Member # 4458

Rate Member
Will do, there is another film kind of based on teenagers taking the law into their own hands called The Brotherhood of Justice. It's an 80's film with Keano Reeves (yes I know he can't act) and a young Keifer Sutherland. It's a bit cheesy but fun at the same time with all the usual 80's teen flick stuff such as 80's synthesized moody background music and shoulder pads.
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
I remember The Brotherhood of Justice. I liked it too.
I remember an ABC Afterschool Special that aired one time about a high school that had a group of students that were hall monitors and started almost a Nazi-type organization within the school right down to red arm bands. One boy wouldn't submit to their rules and the group turned against him and got violent with him. The group was bullying other students and using propaganda and scare tactics to get them to conform to their new rules for the school. I don't remember if someone got killed or not, but something drastic happened to get everyone to realize that the whole thing had gone way to far.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home