iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Sisters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sisters
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is another movie that had clips in "Terror in the Aisles", and I looked it up, and it sounded pretty good. It is by Brian De Palma, and it is a horror movie , and has Margot Kidder in it, it is from 1973. Has anybody seen it???
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it. It was a little disappointing. I dont know why , it had a really "cheap feel"....but on the other hand it was sort of weird, so it has that going for it.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw it once on TV years ago. I kinda liked it! Interesting early DePalma effort.
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...like what's the story about???

Steven...was Margot Kidder's sister one of the Hugga Bunch??? She must have been linked to them some how for you to like it.. [Razz] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
De Palma marathon time! Couldn´t find his early comedies so lets start with Sisters (1972)

"The Staten Island apartment of lovely model Danielle becomes the scene of a grisly murder that is witnessed by her neighbor, Grace, a reporter.
But the police don't believe her story, so it's up to Grace to solve the murder mystery on her own." (IMDb)

This was better than i remembered and i have to give some credit to the very nice Arrow release.
Of course it´s pure Hitchcock but so well done and it even has a Bernard Herrmann score.
Love the disturbing atmosphere and the cast did a good job although Kidder´s french accent took a little time to get used to.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
De Palma's "Sisters" was a creepy, disturbing film.

Quite unsettling in many ways, with an ending that you could kind of see coming, but still horrifying none-the-less.

The last shot of the private detective (Charles Durning) hanging from the telephone pole while still doing surveillance on the "mysterious package" was brilliant.

On the DVD, there was an article about actual two-headed conjoined twins (from Russia, I think) that was apparently the "inspiration" for this film; IIRC, the Sisters in this movie had originally been conjoined twins.

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Sisters. Yeah, it's really, really early DePalma so it doesn't quite have the gloss of his later big-budget films, but it does have that Bernard Hermann score and is creepy as all heck. DePalma regular William Finley is truly creepy by himself as the doctor, and the sudden bursts of violence are well handled. It may be early DePalma, but you can see that even at this stage of his career, he had great control over his material. A few years ago, I stumbled across a 2006 remake that I didn't even know existed (!!!) with Chloe Sevigny in the Jennifer Salt part and Stephen Rea as the doctor. It was just dreadful. To paraphrase DePalma on the various Carrie remakes, you watch it just to see everything that they did wrong. Nothing works.

aTomiK, as a huge DePalma fan, I have seen every one of his features. I even tracked down, after all these years, Dionysus in '69, which was surprisingly interesting in a weird time-capsule way. (There's a crazy section at the end, where the actors burst out of the theater while holding up signs "William Finley for President," as Finley shouts his campaign promises. Finley's just terrific, as always.) Of his comedies, The Wedding Party, his first film, does have DeNiro in it and a couple of excellent scenes but really comes off as a student film--which it was. Murder a la Mod, which was finally released on DVD a few years ago, while not a masterpiece, is good--William Finley is wonderful, as usual--and it has DePalma's experimenting with a lot of the cinematic flourishes that he'd use throughout his career.

Greetings and Hi Mom, however, are both great. They may look dated, but again, they are fabulous time-capsule pieces, very, very funny with some good social commentary. DeNiro is excellent too. It's funny that if you read the reviews from back then, critics had pegged DePalma as the next great comedy director, I also recently re-watched his first studio film--one that he was fired from--Get to Know Your Rabbit. It was much better and funnier than I remembered, and it is obvious that it would have been even better had DePalma been allowed to finish it.

All in all, DePalma has had some amazing phases to his career: the early counterculture stuff, the thriller/horror films, the big studio stuff, the gangster films, the comedies, the war films... He has done every genre except the Western!

[ 09. March 2017, 12:33: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I would really like to see somekind of De Palma´s early films compilation set out there.
It would be interesting to see how he developed his style because, like we all can see, he´s pretty much "in the zone" already in Sisters.

Finley is indeed great, i remember liking his totally wacko character also in Tobe Hooper´s Eaten Alive.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a shame Finley left us so soon. He was one of those guys you'd see in a movie like Eaten Alive and say to yourself, "It can't be all bad because Finley's always great." [Smile]

As a Brian DePalma fan, seeing all his films in order would be a fascinating experience. In the documentary DePalma from last year, he goes through his career chronologically film-by-film. It's the best documentary about filmmaking that I've ever seen, even if you only get to see clips from the 29 films featured. He's a brilliant, articulate guy--a film genius really--who is a fantastic storyteller. He is at a point in his life and career where he just doesn't care and tells it like it is. Some of his stories, like the one about Cliff Robertson's tan in Obsession or Al Pacino's running and sweating in a leather jacket during the subway chase at the end of Carlito's Way, are flat-out hilarious. And his comment about Sean Penn's method acting is priceless. "Sean... always interesting to work with..." (Imagine DePalma saying that with a kind of dry delivery implying, "What a pain-in-the-butt Sean Penn can be.") He's also a very good judge of his own work: On Carlito's Way, "I can't make a better picture" to Mission to Mars, "I was in over my head."

If memory serves me, there was a DVD box set of early DePalma films like his short Woton's Wake and Dionysus in '69 out a few years ago. I'm not sure, but I think that it was French. I did a quick search but couldn't find it. Dionysus is available on-line from a film school archive, and though I haven't looked in a while, Woton's Wake, starring William Finley, was up on Youtube. Check them out.

[ 09. March 2017, 12:36: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I need to track down that documentary, love the poster art [Cool]

-

[ 10. March 2017, 01:39: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
It is great. Pretty much sum sup his career!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home