iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » The Fog

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Fog
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well a few days ago, I bought the original Fog and really liked it. I thought it was a great story and it was damn creepy. Last night, I went to see the remake and it was okay but it lacked integrity in my opinion. Sure the special effects were better than the 1979 version but the addition of new characters, the change in number of founding fathers in Antonio Bay and the whole new ending kinda left me feeling betrayed. On a purely aesthetic level, I thought Tom Welling was very attractive. I never saw/heard of him before. Isis, I think he's a rare example of a really "good looking" that is from today. Surprisingly, I thought Selma Blair looked awesome as Stevie Wayne. I love that whole part of the storyline, the lighthouse dee-jay. Still cool today. What did you guys think? Tell me about the first one, the remake or both.
 -

[ 16. October 2005, 07:36: Message edited by: cindymancini ]

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that the guy your talking about in the picture Cindy? He kind of looks like Russell Todd who was in Friday the 13th part 2...who I think is way cutier....but now your talking about more along the lines of what I think a good looking guy looks like:

-

-

Was the original The Fog made in the 70's?? I thought it was early 80's.

I actually thought about maybe going to see the new FOG at the movies, and thought...nope...I'll wait and maybe watch it on DVD.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Isis, that's the guy but let me assure you the picture doesn't do him justice. He has magnificent blue eyes in the movie and just looks great on camera. The original Fog says 1979 on the DVD but on the IMDB it says 1980 so I don't know. As for the new one, it wasn't horrible don't get me wrong. I liked it better than House of Wax any day but in your case, yeah, maybe wait till you can rent it.
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy...this is so weird...but I watched Halloween 3-Season of the Witch last night, and the lead character was played by Tom Atkins...and he was also in the FOG...he played the guy that Jamie Lee Curtis hooks up in. I had just looked him up on IMDB. He also was in Lethal Weapon but I never would have known that was him. It is so weird when you realize a person you have seen over and over in 1 movie is also the same person from another movie that you never connected cause they looked different.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I watched the original The Fog last night...it is another reason I had to come back on to post.

On the DVD...it had awesome special footage...with interviews with John Carpenter and Debra Hill, and they gave great behind the scenes commentary about the making of The Fog...and that is exactly what was so cool about how they use to make movies. I know that Debra Hill and John Carpenter wrote Halloween, and it was their first movie together...and I am pretty sure they were boyfriend/girlfriend for awhile...

but Adrienne Barbeau was talking on the interview about doing The Fog, and how she and John Carpenter were romantically involved during the movie. I never knew that.

It is hard to believe that Debra Hill was only in her late 20's when she made that movie. I think she died recently of breast cancer...I am going to look her up on IMDB...

I watched the movie, and it is scary...I thought it was awesome that they got both Janet Leigh and Jamie Lee Curtis to both be in a horror movie together.

[ 18. October 2005, 17:14: Message edited by: ISIS ]

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of ISIS' post (and BTW, welcome back after one day!):
quote:
...but Adrienne Barbeau was talking on the interview about doing The Fog, and how she and John Carpenter were romantically involved during the movie. I never knew that...
Yep. They were married from 1979-1984. In 1992, she married playwright-TV writer (and sometimes actor) Billy Van Zandt. They're still together.

quote:
...It is hard to believe that Debra Hill was only in her late 20's when she made that movie. I think she died recently of breast cancer...I am going to look her up on IMDB.
As I recall, I reported it here on one of the boards. Either the 80's Movies board or the Rewind Lounge board. I think it was in March 2005.
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Thanks for the welcome back Steven...I already said I am lame...for even thinking that I could actually stay gone longer than a day...I was working on 2 days actually.... [Wink]

So...were Debra Hill and John Carpenter a couple at one point too?? And I think it is cool...that you see alot of people in show buisness...that stay buisness partners and continue to work together even after they split up...even on soaps...I see alot of real life couples that split up...but have to work with each other every day, and even do romantic scenes together...that has to be strange, but I always like it that not everyone is a jealous fanatic, and can still be friends after a romantic relationship.

That is sad about Debra Hill...cause she wasn't very old.

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Did anyone know that John Carpenter was in the very first scene in The Fog...I noticed him when I saw it last night, he was talking to the priest played by Hal Holbrook in the beginning.

I just looked and Debra Hill produced the remake of The Fog.

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Oh...I also noticed that the character played by Tom Atkins in The Fog his name was Nick Castle, and Nick Castle was the guy who played the original Michael Meyers.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home