iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Crap 70's Song of the Day: "Run Joey Run"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Crap 70's Song of the Day: "Run Joey Run"
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I nominate David Geddes' 1975 single, "Run Joey Run", as the most cheesiest song of the entire 70's decade!

Hard to believe that song actually made it as high as #4 on the Top-40 charts, but it indicates how bad the music scene was going through at the time. It falls in the "so bad, it's good" category.

It is so corny, so awful, even oldies radio stations avoid this song!

For those who never heard it, let me describe it this way: it is highly melodramatic, and tells the kind of "teenage tragedy" story involving a daughter and her distraught father over a boyfriend the father disapproves. It is like a "Leader of the Pack" or "Teen Angel" type of soap-opera song that was done in the early 60's. It is also the kind of song that the 80's novelty singer Julie Brown (the one who sang "The Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun") might've liked!

There is a teenaged girl voice in the song, and David Geddes himself singing the rest.

Part of the lyrics are in brackets that I added myself, to give a clearer idea of what is in the song.

Here are the lyrics:

"RUN JOEY RUN"
by David Geddes

[Teenage girl voice]:
Daddy, please don't!
It wasn't his fault!
He means so much to me!
Daddy please don't, we're gonna get married
Just you wait and see!

[David Geddes singing]:
She called me up, late last night
She said, "Joe, don't come over.
My dad and I just had a fight, and he stormed out the door.
I've never seen him act this way
My God, he's going crazy!
He says he's gonna make you pay, for what we've done
He's got a gun, so..."

Run Joey run!
Joey, Run!

[Teenage girl voice again]:
Daddy, please don't!
It wasn't his fault!
He means so much to me!
Daddy, please don't, we're gonna get married
Just you wait and see!

[David Geddes again]:
I got in my car and I drove like mad, 'til I reached Julie's place
She ran to me, with tears in her eyes, and bruises on her face
All at once, I saw him there, sneaking up behind me
([teenage girl]: WATCH OUT!!)
[Geddes]: Then Julie yelled, "He's got a gun!" and she stepped in front of me
Suddenly, a shot rang out, and I saw Julie falling
I ran to her, I held her close, when I looked down, my hands were red
And here's the last words Julie said...

[teenaged girl voice, dying]:
Daddy, please don't
It wasn't his fault
He means so much to me
Daddy, please don't, we're gonna...get... married.....[makes croaking, retching, dying sounds]

[music stops, and angelic background voices can be heard]

[music starts again, with the chorus and David singing]:
Run Joey run
Joey run Joey run
Joey run Joey run!!!

[Eek!]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have that song on a mix of 70's, and it isn't that bad Steven.

I like so many 70's songs on that CD.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG Steve I've been tempted for so long to post just that very same thing about that song. That song is so god awful. It makes Muskrat Love look like a musical masterpiece.

I think this is a perfect time to start a crappy song thread. By crappy I don't mean songs you dislike it has to be crappy because it is crappy.

Run Joey Run is a definite crappy song hall of famer.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Run Joey Run. BECAUSE it's so corny.
"Daddy please don't...it wasn't his fault....he meeeeeeeeeeeeans so much to meeeeeeeeeee"
I would love to do that at karaoke. LOL!

Now MUSKRAT LOVE is pure 70s poop (as is HAVING MY BABY)

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home