iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » The Warriors (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Warriors
scogin
Rewind Curious
Member # 4084

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for scogin   Author's Homepage   Email scogin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ali, You know, I thought the same thing when I saw "The Warriors" for the first time to. I thought no gang "Baseball Furies" would stand around and fight a fair fight, they would have rushed the Warriors at once and smashed them. I thought that the gangs were to surreal looking for the real world. Though I liked the movie, I thought it was totally fake. Then, I did a website for a street gang out of Chicago and found out that the old school gangs really fought that way even into the 1980s. Sure there was gunplay, but it wasn't bad in Chicago until post early 1980s. A Gang member could still call for a headups fight (one on one) like Ajax (James Remar) did with the Baseball Fury guy. The painting of the faces, or mimes, well that could of been exaggerated, but in the late 1960s to early 1970s there was a Chicago gang called the Irish Clowns. And when bell-bottoms were in style, White gang members were still wearing green and gray baggies to show their greaser legacy.

I was just in Chicago with a crew from LA to help assist in the filming of a documentary on the Gaylords. They found my website and compared the Gaylords to the Warriors. It would be interesting to know if you find the Gaylords as strange as the gangs in the movie.

I value your opinion, the website is http://www.gaylords712.com . I am the webmaster, and I hope this documentary flies. The company wants to make it in the same fashion as the "Lords of Dogtown" documentary.

Thank you!

Posts: 7 | From: Newark New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually your website ws pretty cool. I guess the fair fight thing threw me off, that would NEVER happen in todays world. I guess nowadays are more for personal gain rather than protecting their neighborhoods and trying to get ahead. I guess I'll have to watch that movie again, maybe it'll make more sense.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I almost forgot, thanks for your reply and website link!
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Illnero
Master Rewinder
Member # 4286

- posted      Profile for Illnero   Email Illnero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back when I was in college, I used to host a movie night in my apartment on weekends where I would show unsuspecting people a couple of the cinematic gems that they would be totally unaware of. And one night I showed all my buddies "The Warriors." At first they thought it was cheesy as **** with the synthesizer score and all. But when Cyrus comes on and does the famous "Can You Dig It?" line, their ears all perked up in wonder. A bunch of my buddies are major hip-hop heads and when they heard that, they just went "Hey I know that line." And they were hooked afterwards, days later, they were all quoting lines and having arguments about who was the best gang (The Riffs) the worst (The Orphans) and wondering which of the girls on campus looked like they may be members of the Lezzies.

Ali_with_an_i: I think a lot of the love people have for movies have to do with when and where they saw them. For the life of me, I can't realize what's so great about Napoleon Dynamite. The reason why is because of when I saw it. The Warriors, however. I remember seeing that movie on late night cable television with my cousin one night when we couldn't watch the show "Night Flight" because we didn't have cable. And the movie's kind of special to me because she and I got into this huge fight and weren't on speaking terms, but we watched it together and got along afterwards.

"NOW CAN YOU DIG IT?"

Posts: 154 | From: between wash and spin | Registered: Aug 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swan
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 2051

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Swan   Email Swan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to post here, obviously [Big Grin] ,

Illnero, I couldn't have put it better myself.

Ali_with_an_i,

For me, at least, the movie is both a piece of childhood nostalgia, and one of those movies I can watch over and over. To me, it's as good as 'Shawshank' in that way. [Smile]

BTW, I agree with you about the Tophats (the mime gang). I think they had to be the gang always getting their asses kicked, just for BEING a bunch of mimes! LOL [Big Grin]

Posts: 22 | From: japan | Registered: Nov 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought I'd revisit this page as I just got the Warriors game on XBOX. Haven't played it much so far but I like what I have seen.

Just seeing the intro again but done for a videogame made me wanna watch the movie again. This looks like the movie to video game I've been waiting for...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rembrant
Rewind Curious
Member # 4397

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Rembrant   Author's Homepage   Email Rembrant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the update on the video game. I will be adding a new page to the website: http://www.gaylords712.com titled "Gaylords Meet The Warriors". There was an autograph show in Chicago and the author of the website and the book - "Lords of Lawndale" - talked to Michael Beck (Swan) and Deborah Van Valkenburgh (Mercy), as well as took pictures. He gave each of them a copy of his book, which Swan promised to read and get back to him on. He said, Swan was very approachable and was an easygoing nice guy. Michael Beck was surprised at how much influence the movie had on Chicago street gangs.

I will also be including pictures of the subway station in Union Square where there are posters of "The Warriors" advertising the new video game in the same place where the gangster on roller skates started to follow Swan down to the tracks in the movie. I have to get pictures for the Swan page.

Posts: 3 | From: Newark New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rembrant
Rewind Curious
Member # 4397

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Rembrant   Author's Homepage   Email Rembrant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I added the new page with Michael Beck (Swan) and Deborah Van Valkenburgh (Mercy) - "Gaylords Meet 'The Warriors'":
http://www.stonegreasers.com/greaser/swan.html

These pictures were taken a couple of weeks ago at the Chicago Tradeshow. You will see Michael Beck then and now. He is a great guy!

Posts: 3 | From: Newark New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dollFACE
Rewind Curious
Member # 4405

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for dollFACE   Author's Homepage   Email dollFACE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the game is amazing. love how it starts before the big meeting and you get to play as cleon and all. most definitely the best game i've played in a long time. kudos to rockstar.

btw, rembrandt, thanx for the link. great pix.

Posts: 4 | From: The Cotton Club | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rembrant
Rewind Curious
Member # 4397

Rate Member
Thank you XViXeNX! I was so surprised to find the mural ads in Union Square that I had to go back the following weekend to take the pics.

With respect,
Rembrant

muzzled ox
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1841

- posted      Profile for muzzled ox   Email muzzled ox       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this flick is burned into my Memory. i never Saw it in the theatre. But I remenber it b/c it was one of the flicks we rented the first time my family rented a VCR and movies. I was a/b 12 or 13 and we nad to drive 45 mins to a neighboring town where there was a video store. Amoung the others rented were Night Shift, and the Longest Day.
I showed The Warriors to some of my teenage clients a couple of years ago.. they loved it. i hadn't seen it in years. Although some of the style is dated the movie has stood the test of time. Why bother with a remake.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dollFACE
Rewind Curious
Member # 4405

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for dollFACE   Author's Homepage   Email dollFACE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i posted this in the other thread but i'll say it again.

for those who don't know, director tony scott is doing a remake of the warriors said to come out next year.

Posts: 4 | From: The Cotton Club | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home